Now don't laugh but

mr smith

Should be in the market for a 4x4/off road type thing soon.In an attempt to keep the options fairly wide i wondered what these were like.I believe they arn't proper 4x4's but at a quess work along the lines of a freelander.I'm not going to be heavy duty off roading just grassy fields and stubble and the like,ground clearance is probably more important.

My Market may not be that high.Max about £2000.

ok, well then the new freelander will be out of budget. My mum got an X-trail a few weeks back (we also couldn't afford a newer freelander, to replace the old one we had)

I have to say though, I don't like it. Everything feels plasticy, and I mean everything, the steering wheel, the door handles, the centre console, everything (and no clock for some reason :yes: )

since I haven't been in one of the older style CRVs, I can't pass oppinion on them, but I'm sure someone on here has one

atb :rolleyes:

I'm after one too, mate. Missed a Vitara on the bay - Guy sold it before I got to view it.

Been keeping an eye on there was well,gonna be a week or three before i can get my grubby paws on the cash.Doesn't seem much to choice from round here which i why i'm trying to keep my options open.

ok, well then the new freelander will be out of budget. My mum got an X-trail a few weeks back (we also couldn't afford a newer freelander, to replace the old one we had)

I have to say though, I don't like it. Everything feels plasticy, and I mean everything, the steering wheel, the door handles, the centre console, everything (and no clock for some reason :yes: )

since I haven't been in one of the older style CRVs, I can't pass oppinion on them, but I'm sure someone on here has one

atb :rolleyes:

im on my second xtrail both older and newer and both have had clocks......or do you mean clocks with hands? i can see where your coming from on the plasticy but its easy to clean, both have had leather steering wheels if i recall....

shaun

As a landrover man through and through I'd have a look at some of the older Freelanders. Avoid the petrol though as the head gaskets go quite regularly (nothing wrong with the engine, they just left the thermostat in a place that suited a metro sized car and not a medium size 4x4.

I drove an X-trail for several hundred kms in Malawi this year, many of which were off road. I would have preferred to be have been in the 90, but that was sitting at home and the X-Trail was loaned to me by my cousin so I wasn't going to complain. To give it it's dues, the X-trail did very well. I never got it stuck (although I wasn't doing anything extreme) and it took all that African roads have to dish out which is pretty extreme. They are a little plasticy inside, but most Japanese cars are these days. I haven't driven the Honda so can't pass comment, but I was pleasantly surprised by the Nissan.

Hope this helps,