Pistol Shootin

Shuck.

So lads where's the closest place?

Never fired a handgun in my life and wouldn't mind trying it out :yes:

What is the closet place to Britain where I could go to a range and lend out a pistol, I think I remember Ireland still have them but can you just go and play or do you need some sort of license?

TA :yes:

also when I find a place, what shooters would you old fellers recommend?

Edited by Shuck.

So lads where's the closest place?

Never fired a handgun in my life and wouldn't mind trying it out :yes:

What is the closet place to Britain where I could go to a range and lend out a pistol, I think I remember Ireland still have them but can you just go and play or do you need some sort of license?

TA :yes:

also when I find a place, what shooters would you old fellers recommend?

Guernsey should allow you. If not, I know a guy who knows a guy who knows a guy who could let you shoot their handgun 'at the range' :yes:

Oh and if you think shooting a pistol is anything like in the movies, think again! I fired a Glock at a 30 yard target and it was, let's say, scattered. I then fired a M16 at 70 from standing and it was a tidy little group through the forehead of the paper man target...! :yes:

The guy in the lane next to me was doing a quickdraw on a paper man at about 5 yards. I was seriously concerned!

Guernsey should allow you. If not, I know a guy who knows a guy who knows a guy who could let you shoot their handgun 'at the range' :hmm:

Guernsey eh? Think I'd have to Google it but sounds good..

Thanks for the offer too, if I don't find anywhere I will most likely nab your arm off :yes:

Oh and if you think shooting a pistol is anything like in the movies, think again! I fired a Glock at a 30 yard target and it was, let's say, scattered. I then fired a M16 at 70 from standing and it was a tidy little group through the forehead of the paper man target...! :yes:

The guy in the lane next to me was doing a quickdraw on a paper man at about 5 yards. I was seriously concerned!

I've heard this so I wanted to prove to myself its not worth moving to a pistol shooting country for this lone reason :lol:

sounds simpler to just get a hatsan and shoot fridges :yes:

I have the Hatsan, but sadly nowhere to shoot the fridges

you can still shoot black powder pistols here

me at Bisley last year...

87793e08711b055abd7d06f7e42ab899.jpg

:yes:

This I sort of knew.. I thought I'd need a sec 1 license to even have a go though but I must admit I haven't looked too much into this field :yes:

Would like a go at this too, but am set on shooting self contained rounds for the extra smile factor :yes:

Shuck, why not just get a pistol on your ticket that has an arm brace? I'm not too hot on the law, but I think you can pick up a revolver (personally I prefer the glock/beretta type)

I'm with you I really want to try the old 92fs but am told I will be let down..

I've concidered the arm brace route but I'd like the experience of a removable magazine semi auto for the 'proper' experience, have seen the Taurus (I think 357) and it looks a serious bit of kit, not many fullbore clubs by me (well, none that I know of, in fact) so wouldn't have a good enough excuse to shoot it :yes:

I shot a 10mm Glock and a .357 6" barrel magnum in the USA.

Glock was disappointing, not very accurate compared to the .357 which nearly broke my wrist. Hold it tight!

Thanks for the heads up I'll be sure to try anything I can get a hold of, I'm told if I must fire a pistol for the experience I have to shoot a 357 :yes:

I'm still open to ideas

It's all about practice.... just like everything else... I was a pistol shooter until Dunblane! Had a beatuiful Beretta 92 (not the F or FS, one of the originals with the mag release at the bottom of the pistol grip. much nicer weapon than the later ones but you needed to use left hand to release mag which was a bit of a faff and not as quick as the later ones with the release at the top of the grip so you could release with right thumb and bang another clip in.... anyhoo I digress!)

Used to compete in 'Police Pistol' rather than dull old target shooting... format as below except replace 'speed loader' with 'magazine' as I didn't use a revolver plus I could hold 15 rounds where the revolvers only had 6 so necessitating a re-load where I wouldn't need one.

Stage 1 - 12 rounds in 20 seconds at 21 feet, all double action. Standing position with no support. Starting with a loaded, holstered gun (all by range officer's command) and at least one extra speedloader, when the target turns, draw, fire six rounds, reload, then fire six more rounds before 20 seconds expire.

Stage 2 - 18 rounds in 90 seconds at 75 feet, all double action. Starting with a loaded, holstered gun and at least two extra speedloaders, when the target turns, draw, kneel and shoot six rounds. Reload, then using a supplied barrier, shoot six left handed from the left side of the barricade. Reload and shoot six right handed from the right side of the barricade.

After the line is safe, again by range officer's command, you will change from your A to your B target.

Stage 3 - 6 rounds in 12 seconds from 75 feet, all double action. Standing position with no support. Starting with a loaded, holstered gun, shoot six rounds.

Stage 4 - 24 rounds in 165 seconds from 150 feet, may be shot single or double action. Starting with a loaded, holstered gun, and at least three extra speedloaders, when the target turns, draw, assume a seated position and fire six rounds. Reload, assume a prone position, fire six rounds. Reload, stand, then fire six rounds left handed from the left side of the barricade. Reload, then fire six rounds right handed from the right side of the barricade.

4-5 inch groupings were about the norm... certainly wouldn't win! Bear in mind though that we all used to load our own ammo and made sure it had just enough bang to cycle the pistol without any jams, that way muzzle flip was negligible, factory ammo wouldn't give as good results because of the increased flip and therefore time to re-acquire the target. We regularly went on to the 25m range with a full clip and just let the whole lot go (factory ammo) rapid fire... 6-8 inch groups (with a couple of flyers) were about the norm.

God I miss it!!!

Still have pics of my 92 somewhere, I'll dig em out and scan em in.

Paul

Edited by Vipa

i used to shoot pistol before Dunblane as well - one of the more interesting handguns i ever fired was a Thompson Contender .223, similar to this one...

100_4209.jpg_thumbnail1.jpg

always liked SIGs as well, and the .45ACP Detonics was awesome.

nice... if a little different.

Another fun thing we used to do was take one of the guys in (can't remember his name now but he used to make the most amazing leather gun gear, holsters, mag pouches, belts etc...) with his Colt Python .357 Mag and stand behind him when he was firing with the lights out..... The most beautiful purple halo would appear at the end of the barrel everytime he pulled the trigger..... almost hypnotic!

Same guy also had the infamous .44 Mag which I only fired once (6 rds) on the 10M range ( clubhouse was in a decommissioned WWII radar tracking bunker in Worsley Nr Manchester, we had 25mtr and 10mtr indoor ranges both certified for full bore pistol up to 44Mag, PPC comps were held in a disused quarry just outside Bolton) Not pleasant at all, it just hurt my hand! A very impractical weapon and I certainly wouldn't want to carry one round with me ALA Dirty Harry style... big, heavy, difficult to control and way too long between shots & target re-acquisition!)

No-one on else on here an old school tie member of the now long de-funct Worsley Gun Club?

Paul

yes mate guernsey still offers pistol shooting with real guns not black powder lol any thing from.22 to the palm buster all avalible most of the guys just turn up with a selection of guns there put on a table and you help your self ammo is supplied at the range you can just turn up and shoot no licence or insurance needed . the range is set out over looking the beach so not shooting the boats lol

pistol shooting goes on till about dinner time or when the ammo runs out the you have the choice to go from the 150 yard range back to 1000 yards and shoot rifle

yes mate guernsey still offers pistol shooting with real guns not black powder lol any thing from.22 to the palm buster all avalible most of the guys just turn up with a selection of guns there put on a table and you help your self ammo is supplied at the range you can just turn up and shoot no licence or insurance needed . the range is set out over looking the beach so not shooting the boats lol

pistol shooting goes on till about dinner time or when the ammo runs out the you have the choice to go from the 150 yard range back to 1000 yards and shoot rifle

How much is property in Guernsey? :yes:

A number of UKPSA members still compete in practical pistol matches in Europe & around the world, it can still be done if your willing to look for it.

We arrange with competition organisers to rent guns from the club hosting the match.

The UKPSA run LBR matches here in the UK & training courses for none pistol shooters who wish to get into the full bore cartridge pistol matches abroad.

For a taste of pistol shooting these guys are ex UKPSA members who have moved to Spain & now offer the following holiday.

http://practical-pistol-shooting-malaga-spain.com/

N

Neil that looks brill! I see it says they cater for FAC + SGC holders but non cert holders need special arrangements.. does this mean I could just ring up and book a date (I only have an SGC at the moment).

Looks like they have a good selection of pistols I'd like to try, I will definately be on to this lot when my holidays are up. then again.. a two hour, 30 min flight.. temptation itself :huh:

Thanks for the link Neil

It's all about practice.... just like everything else... I was a pistol shooter until Dunblane! Had a beatuiful Beretta 92 (not the F or FS, one of the originals with the mag release at the bottom of the pistol grip. much nicer weapon than the later ones but you needed to use left hand to release mag which was a bit of a faff and not as quick as the later ones with the release at the top of the grip so you could release with right thumb and bang another clip in.... anyhoo I digress!)

Used to compete in 'Police Pistol' rather than dull old target shooting... format as below except replace 'speed loader' with 'magazine' as I didn't use a revolver plus I could hold 15 rounds where the revolvers only had 6 so necessitating a re-load where I wouldn't need one.

Stage 1 - 12 rounds in 20 seconds at 21 feet, all double action. Standing position with no support. Starting with a loaded, holstered gun (all by range officer's command) and at least one extra speedloader, when the target turns, draw, fire six rounds, reload, then fire six more rounds before 20 seconds expire.

Stage 2 - 18 rounds in 90 seconds at 75 feet, all double action. Starting with a loaded, holstered gun and at least two extra speedloaders, when the target turns, draw, kneel and shoot six rounds. Reload, then using a supplied barrier, shoot six left handed from the left side of the barricade. Reload and shoot six right handed from the right side of the barricade.

After the line is safe, again by range officer's command, you will change from your A to your B target.

Stage 3 - 6 rounds in 12 seconds from 75 feet, all double action. Standing position with no support. Starting with a loaded, holstered gun, shoot six rounds.

Stage 4 - 24 rounds in 165 seconds from 150 feet, may be shot single or double action. Starting with a loaded, holstered gun, and at least three extra speedloaders, when the target turns, draw, assume a seated position and fire six rounds. Reload, assume a prone position, fire six rounds. Reload, stand, then fire six rounds left handed from the left side of the barricade. Reload, then fire six rounds right handed from the right side of the barricade.

4-5 inch groupings were about the norm... certainly wouldn't win! Bear in mind though that we all used to load our own ammo and made sure it had just enough bang to cycle the pistol without any jams, that way muzzle flip was negligible, factory ammo wouldn't give as good results because of the increased flip and therefore time to re-acquire the target. We regularly went on to the 25m range with a full clip and just let the whole lot go (factory ammo) rapid fire... 6-8 inch groups (with a couple of flyers) were about the norm.

God I miss it!!!

Still have pics of my 92 somewhere, I'll dig em out and scan em in.

Paul

That sounds really exctiting Vipa, sounds a lot like PSG.. wouldn't mind a bit of practical pistol at all now :huh:

Would love to see your old school 92 have a dig mate!

Myself and few lads from my club are looking to go to the place at Malaga sometime this year. I didn't find it very clear on the website but you don't need to actually rent the villa to do the pistol shooting, you can stop at a cheaper hotel for just a couple of nights (which the organisers sort out for you!) and they also pick you up and drop you off at the airport! :huh:

Theres also a place in Knock (doubtlessly spelt incorrectly) Belgium that offer a similar thing but i think you need an FAC. This might be an even cheaper option for anyone on the South coast though.

Don't forget aswell as LBR's and .22 LBP's if you have a Section 7 licensed club near you, you can use 'real' pistols there. Theres one just down the road from me at Brancepeth Castle which i may join if a mess up with a rifle ends in a refund. You can read about Section 7 in the 2002 Police Guidance, i think it also has a list of clubs.

Mark

Myself and few lads from my club are looking to go to the place at Malaga sometime this year. I didn't find it very clear on the website but you don't need to actually rent the villa to do the pistol shooting, you can stop at a cheaper hotel for just a couple of nights (which the organisers sort out for you!) and they also pick you up and drop you off at the airport! :huh:

I thought you'd have to rent out a villa! In that case I might end up spending a day down there :yes:

I too was an avid police pistol shooter . The course of fire described by viper was different to the international police pistol course of fire . Which was , Stage one was the precison stage , 12 rounds at 25 yards in two minutes . Stage two was shot at 15 yards and was single taps shot on turning targets with a 2 second exposure this was shot twice . Stage three was double taps shot at 10 yards on a turning target with a two second exposure two shots had to be fired in the two seconds a total of 6 rounds at this stage . The course of fire was 30 rounds with a maximum of 300 points .

Serious police pistol shooters used a 6 inch barrel revolver . Proberbly the most popular gun for this dicipline was the smith and wesson 686 .357 magnum down loaded with target wadcutters .

Face down range load and make ready , watch and shoot ,watch and shoot . If only again .

Harnser .