Would you be happy enough with this group

gixer1

I would be happy with your result as your shot on prey will be a spur of the moment issue rather than braced trying to group rounds,as your grouping shows the rifle is zeroed well and not spraying rounds about leave it be,the problem you might have with the bipod could prove your barrels not floated out and cause you to make unnecessary adjustments to a fine set up.

As stated everyone is a kill shot,dont fuss and leave well alone,you'll only mess up.

For stalking at sensible distances and considering how you shot it, I would say that group is OK.

The tack drivers are well and good, but can they do it sitting/standing/kneeling/out of breath or whatever real life situation you find yourself in away from the comfort of the bipod and shooting bag at the range?

Most sensible answer yet - we all like to shoot nice tight groups and it does give you confidence, but it is normally the first shot that counts in a hunting situation and if you can get that within an inch of the bull everytime t, then no need to worry :o

With my .22 rapid 7 I can put 5 consecutive shots down a MacDonald's milk shake straw at 100 yards

Sorry fellas, there was a typo there. Should read, 'With my .22 Rapid 7 I can nearly hit a MacDonalds milk shake straw at 10 yards'

Not a lot of difference, but I noticed somebody getting a dubious, so this is just to put the record straight

Bill

Just an update - gave the rifle a good clean and changed my shooting style slightly (basicaly loosened the grip on the rifle - thanks to nipper for the advice) shot 4 rounds just to get a bearing on if the POI had changed with the cleaning, after the shots had settled down the first target grouping was good but the poi had moved just over an inch to the left, after 4 clicks right the next group was closer to the bull.

again these were shot off the bonnet and with 90gr PPU partizan not quite a 1/2" group but better and under the 1" mark-

(sorry they are 90° anti clockwise off but i'm not sure how to change this in the on target software)

post-10812-1268865513.jpg

post-10812-1268865530.jpg

Edited by gixer1

That is perfectly good enough for any field application you may want to use it for. The trouble with shooting targets is that you can get a bit obsessive and lose sight of what you are really trying to achieve. Thats why target shooting can become so addictive for some people.

That is perfectly good enough for any field application you may want to use it for. The trouble with shooting targets is that you can get a bit obsessive and lose sight of what you are really trying to achieve. Thats why target shooting can become so addictive for some people.

Just my opinion, for what it is worth - I would be delighted with this sort of grouping as long as I could translate that in to shooting at Live Quarry! It is all well and good and there is nothing wrong with shooting at "paper targets" but like Vince has just said shooting at paper targets can become addictive as we strive for "perfection" and forget to focus on the overall picture of shooting live quarry out in general field or stalking conditions!

Just my opinion, for what it is worth - I would be delighted with this sort of grouping as long as I could translate that in to shooting at Live Quarry! It is all well and good and there is nothing wrong with shooting at "paper targets" but like Vince has just said shooting at paper targets can become addictive as we strive for "perfection" and forget to focus on the overall picture of shooting live quarry out in general field or stalking conditions!

Absolutley agree and most of my shooting is field (which to be honest hasn't ever been a problem), the reason for the targets recently is i've put a few new parts on the rifle (stock, trigger new scope) and wanted to play around with it, as you say it becomes addictive and now that I've found the PPU ammo at half the cost it's even more addictive!

to be honest as the shots are off the bonnet resting on a ghillie suit bag I would think this is about as tight as i'm going to get but I have to admit that I want to see a cloverleaf using the same shooting teqnique and set up, once this has been done i'll probably be content...

We don't really have any good ranges up in our neck of the woods so target shooting is noy really an option, but it's good fun punching paper as long as the people in the surrounding area aren't getting bugged by it.

i've had alot of help from nipper on here recently just with advice on "try this" or "try that" and it seams to make alot of difference, he himself doesn't really shoot alot of targets but has an annoying habit of picking up any rifle and just putting holes in the place he wants.... :yp:

My groups were never that bad but just changing a few minor details have shrunk the consistant size of them (still have a group like a shotgun now and again :look: )

Here's a link that nipper sent and it seams to have made a noticable difference reading some basic info...

http://www.n-ssa.org/NORTHWEST/Flinching%20and%20Jerking.htm

Regards,

Gixer

Edited by gixer1

Gixer

I have/had the same problem with my .243 shooting Federal Power Shock 100gns. Just gettting used to firing a center fire and getting used to what barrel heat seems to do if fireing multiple shots. Its a pain but worth it to get it as best you can. Plus I had problems understanding what direction my S&B turrets needed to be tweaked in order to move the POA. Nickbeardo had tried shooting a target at 50yrds bang on which then gives an inch high at 100yrds. I think this maybe easier to get a tighter grouping a this distance is this is the case. Something that I want to to try. Maybe you could try it with the .243 and see what it does?

I haven't been out for a while but this is the last grouping I did at 100 yrds off a bi-pod, I put alot of the inaccuracy down to my shooting capabilities, barrel heat and me being new to center fires.

Let me know how you get on as we seem to be in the same boat so to speak.

post-1670-1269019082.jpg

post-18885-1269021673.jpg

Very happy indeed.I take it you was using 1/4 choke from 80 yards.Oh,its a rifle you say. :rolleyes: Only joking fella.Perfectly acceptable.We tend to try to take it to extremes,and try get our groups as small as possible.It doesnt mean a lot in stalking conditions,but it does help with your gun discipline.These two pics are of groups with the Sako,using 36.5 grains of varget and 75 grain vmax.Conditions were perfect and it shows what a good match of reload to rifle can produce.

Edited by sako751sg