out with .17hmr

groach1234

Okay well in went down the local RFD as i was running low on ammo for the HMR and and thought i would give Remingtons a go. Don't know if hey do differant types but i got 300 'Remington Premier Magnum Rimfire 17gr Accutips' so anyway i had 30 Hornady Blue tips and a couple of boxes of Reds left over and when the sun came out on saturday i thought a grouping test was in order.

Rifle.jpg

So i set up some targets at 100 yards and had a go and the results suprised me to say the least.

ScopeView.jpg

Firstly i used the Blue tips and I was not pleased to say the least :hmm:

DSC03615.jpg

As you can see it was sporadic to say the least and i only achieved around a 1.5 inch group prone at 100 yards :good:

Then i tried the Remingtons and I was very happy:

DSC03620.jpg

I achieved just under a 3/4 of an inch group so i was happy :lol:

Then finally the red tips:

DSC03612.jpg

They were nothing special but i was fairly happy at 1.25 inch group but room for improvement.

So all i can say is i am glad i tried the remingtons as they were best by far and goes to show it is worth seeing what groups best in your rifle. i was amazed the blue were so off as i used 500 of them with hardly any misses but there you go.

George

was it with no change of zero between batches?

in the field realistically 1.5 inches will give you enough leeway on a rabbits head

Interesting. I plan to do something similar with my rifle. Id be pleased with your worst grouping I must say....

Good to see another 'lefty' I might add. :good:

was it with no change of zero between batches?

in the field realistically 1.5 inches will give you enough leeway on a rabbits head

The 500 blue tips were all one batch

How many targets did you shoot with each? Your grouping on your last target would be very tight were it not for the one outlier.

Just one target with each brand i will give it another go when the wind dies down a bit.

George

give the federal ammo a try mate. people say its all the same but this federal stuff shot better in mine. more consistant groups then any other.

here is one i shot with hmr when i had it with federal ammo. 4 shot. and pulled the last one. trouble is with hmr as its factory ammo your never get it consistant like that all the time

ignore the bullet hole on the left thats from prevous targets 100_1126.jpg

Edited by jamie g

I find the Blue tipped work very well when compared to other types

I acheive a 1" group @ 100 yards off a bipod with no problem- as said factory ammo is a little inconsistant to say the least- and Ive tried every make I can find- they all kill Rabbits so I aint too fussed what Im use- Im not target shooting after all

Im a lefty also lol

Les <_<

I have only tried Harnady V-Max Blue Tip 17gr and Remmington Premier 17gr in my CZ452 17HMR and, to be quite honest, I don't find much difference in the groupings sizewise. I think that as long as you can consistently put a 1.5 inch gropu in the centre of the target then you are not going to get many "runners" while out rabbit shooting. It may well however be a completely different case of you are target shooting.

I now use more Remmingtons than anything as that is what my local RFD has most in stock of at the moment at the right price!

Iv tried a few types of ammo. But i have settled quite happily for the Hornady range blue or red tip. I usually buy in 500 batches so the powder measurments are hopefully pretty much the same in each cartridge. I zero my gun at 100yrds and quite often get sub 1" groups with reletive ease off a bipod with this make of ammo. I may have to do slight adjustments if i'm usung 20 grain heads rather then the usuall 17 grain heads. But thats only a few clicks up or down and bang on again. If i do get groupings that are pretty much all over the place. Then i would put that down an off day with my shooting and not the ammo. After all no ones perfect all the time lolololololol <_<:lol: :o

Edited by deputy dog

I did a similar thing on Saturday with my CZ HMR. I tried Remingtons, Red tips adn CCI hollows. The red tips and the Remmingtons were very similar but the CCI's drifted slightly. I think your grouping with red tips is as goos as the remingtons just looks like yopu would ahev to re-zero sligthly, or was there as light breeze at that point? It was windy on Saturday and even the slightest breeze move the POI.

I also tried shooting a piece of 5MM steel from 100 yards it was interesting to see the variance, the Red tips made a slightly deeper/narrower dent and the Rems made slightly less depth impact but wider impact. I was surprised but there was a difference.

Either way your groups will drop mist things at that range. Did you check for the level of drop at 130/150 yards etc? I got just over an inch drop at 130 yards and 2.5 inches at 150 yards, which tallied nicely with my 1st mill dot below centre(Falcon Menace 4.5 - 18 x 56).

Edited by stevienicknacks