police

sapper063

as we all know most police dont know the laws on shooting rights and permissions. so is there anything we can carry to show them that we are legal and not doing anything wrong. so they are not tied up for hours trying to find the right laws, i know we carry our fac, and permission slips but what ive seen and read on here and other sites. its never good enought for them.

What's a permission slip ? I shoot on a mates farm and am a member of a local game syndicate, never had a permission slip.

Exactly. I shoot on an equine/bovine farm and the farmer tells me to not let the 'old tarts' see me so that the RSPCA arn't called (again) and other than that do what I like. Although to be honest if a copper did come on to the famr chances are they wouldn't find me now I've got a hushpower :good:

as we all know most police dont know the laws on shooting rights and permissions. so is there anything we can carry to show them that we are legal and not doing anything wrong. so they are not tied up for hours trying to find the right laws, i know we carry our fac, and permission slips but what ive seen and read on here and other sites. its never good enought for them.

Not really, Police officers have a excellent understanding of most criminal laws, but in doubt they'll do whatever is needed to keep the public safe, which I hope we'd all agree is the best option.

Just be polite, they can always contact their peers or supervisor to get advise.

I'm not sure what you've been reading but if you had your original FAC and permission they aren't going to bother you.

What else can you carry to mitigate having a firearm other than an FAC?

I'm not sure what you've been reading

Not sure either, but I'd hazard a guess at pretty much any shooting magazine, particularly Shooting Times, over the last weeks and months.

Things are now so bad that BASC decided to create and distribute a shooting facts leaflet to send to various police forces.

but if you had your original FAC and permission they aren't going to bother you.

Dream on.................

Not sure either, but I'd hazard a guess at pretty much any shooting magazine, particularly Shooting Times, over the last weeks and months.

Things are now so bad that BASC decided to create and distribute a shooting facts leaflet to send to various police forces.

Dream on.................

By good reason with 100,000's of FAC holders in the UK some are going to get stopped/picked up, some coppers are going to over react faced with a chap with a firearm, especially some dumb*** who loses their rag because they think they have the given right to wander about with a firearm and not expect to be stopped/investigated on the lawful request of the police.

What more do you want, or more mitigating than a FAC with serial numbers of rifles do people want?

Loads of people get stopped and get into trouble with the plod, why should we shooters feel as though we are immune to investigation because of a piece of paper? I'm no pro police state supporter, but mistakes happen, you get bad coppers or ignorant coppers doing what they feel is right at the time.

Obviously education of firearm law to the police is important, sending leaflets will have zero effect, rather than send thousands of bits of paper (costing thousands) out they should organise a meeting with the (less than thousands) of Chief officers of each county to develop or create a training oppurtunity for the officers and have minuted dialogue which would help both partys.

Edited by kyska

i was stopped from shooting because the inspector was not sure it was legal, i had all relevent paperwork, but he insisted that i had to wait till next day till it was checked out, as the fao was not in till 9 the following day, now if they had checked with say a central fao he would have been told i was legal. as it was i was made to look a right wally in front of the client. then the next day duty sergeant phoned to say its ok you are legal. no apology sorry for grammer.

i was stopped from shooting because the inspector was not sure it was legal, i had all relevent paperwork, but he insisted that i had to wait till next day till it was checked out, as the fao was not in till 9 the following day, now if they had checked with say a central fao he would have been told i was legal. as it was i was made to look a right wally in front of the client. then the next day duty sergeant phoned to say its ok you are legal. no apology sorry for grammer.

You've bolstered my point, are the police not better making a judgment call, albeit if its wrong, than letting someone shoot illegally? Of course you could have ignored the advise, carried on shooting and seen what happened, you'd have been arrested maybe, but is it worth it?

Again, education for the police seems to be paramount in these climates, not rherotic lambasting of the law.

We as shooters have a point to make, white as white because of public perception of firearms. Its self preservation by proxy.

Edited by kyska

Hi,

Kyska has asked "what more do you want". We need our certificates; they detail our responsibilities, record our holdings and sales/purcheses, etc, etc. By necessity, they are bulky. I would like a credit card sized addition which includes a photo (we supply enough!), FAC/SGC No. and dates, address and (space for) our signature and any discrete reference (probably meaningless to me) that enables PC Plod to get me checked out on the spot (see other current thread on the topic).

Cheers

the main issue is that PC plod doesn't know much about legal gun ownership, I've a few mates who are officers and they are very upfront in saying they deal with so many different laws its nigh on impossible to know the ins and outs of every one. They partly learn from experience and their dealings with people with legal guns are very infrequent. All you can do is be polite and friendly to them despite what approach you get from them and gently educate them about what you're doing and its legality etc. If you have your ticket on you just walk them through the gun its number the fact its on there etc and the fact you've permission to be where you are etc. Not carrying your ticket just makes it harder and really there isn't any real reason not to carry it or at least have it in your gun case in the car. If it gets too moth eared from being carried a new one is easy to get these days now they scan your photo in etc.

Exactly. I shoot on an equine/bovine farm and the farmer tells me to not let the 'old tarts' see me so that the RSPCA arn't called (again) and other than that do what I like. Although to be honest if a copper did come on to the famr chances are they wouldn't find me now I've got a hushpower <_<

HERE'S one of b.a.s.c site.