rabbit shooting

was lamping rabbits with shot guns last night with a keeper friend of mine and after the nights shooting we returned to the yard where i offerd him a hand gutting out the rabbits .his reply was not to worry as the game dealer takes them the next day with guts in he then freezes them guts in where they are then sent to france where they skin them and cook them then remove the guts :hmm::good:

I always gut my rabbits within an hour of being shot. a) it is easier to leave the guts in the field :rolleyes: the meat is certainly not tainted when I do this. However, all the rabbits I shoot I either eat or feed to the dogs, I don't sell any.

I'm not 100% but I thought it was a well known fact that if you dont gut straight away the meat taists horrible.....

I have personal experiance of this when I shot rabbits 25 years ago I gutted them the next day, the rabbits stunk out the kitchen when cooking and were horrible....

I gave up shooting rabbits for a while because I like to eat what I shoot........especially when we weren't doing pest control for a land owner.

now I gut straight away & eat a lot of rabbit.

• 2 weeks later...
I'm not 100% but I thought it was a well known fact that if you dont gut straight away the meat taists horrible.....

I have personal experiance of this when I shot rabbits 25 years ago I gutted them the next day, the rabbits stunk out the kitchen when cooking and were horrible....

I gave up shooting rabbits for a while because I like to eat what I shoot........especially when we weren't doing pest control for a land owner.

now I gut straight away & eat a lot of rabbit.

I suppose it depends on the weather they should stay pretty fresh today and also whether you perforated the gut or other abdominal organs

I've not shot a bunny for quite a while (myxy saw off all ours about 8 years ago.) but 4 hours in summer and I was spoiling about a quarter.