putting in for a variation calibre advice needed

hendersons

any bullet with a low BC or low muzzle velocity will be affected by wind. The 17 cal 25 gr v-max and the 32 gr 204 v-max have more or less the same BC. They will be doing close enough to the same speed that at 300 yards the wind drift will be more or less identical. It will certainly be closer than a person can estimate the wind velocity. And, when you're doing 3800 fps or so, wind drift is going to be fairly minimal anyway unless you're in a strong wind.

thanks

rick

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

.204 isn't really a bunny gun, stick with you original plan and get a rimfire for rabbits and centrefire for things you don't eat (other than venison) :good:

EDIT: I have just read some of the above posts and .22 hornet wouldn't be a bad plan, not too bad for rabbit, but still a bit much IMHO :lol: :lol:

Edited by SSS

why does the barrel have to be 26 inches i don't understand what you mean. Most of the .204 calibre rifles i can find seem to have 24 and 25 inch barrels.

.204 requires a long barrel to get the best velocities, due to the relatively large powder volume and small diameter of the bore. This means that for a given barrel length the volume in which to burn powder is limited, and thus less velocity is achieved.

Basically, the more powder you have to burn in a small volume, the longer the barrel needs to be to burn it and achieve the best velocities.

E.g. .308, has a fairly standard amount of powder and that means you lose only small amounts of velocity as you cut the barrel down. .204 on the other hand has a considerable amount of powder relative to the bore, and so you lose a lot of velocity for each inch of barrel you lose.

That said, the book velocities for the round are 24" barrels, so stick with this as a minimum. I had a 204 with 22 inch barrel, and my velocities were around 300fps down on where they should be, and I got 223 to perform as well (in terms of ballistic coefficient relative to velocity - i.e. my 40gr 223 was as fast as my 32gr 204).

26 inch barrels see people hitting around 4000fps with 40gr, and that is very impressive, but it's not great for carrying when you put a moderator on the end of that flagpole!

I have just found this review and now I really can't make my mind up as it seems to be good for pretty much what i need to use the .204 for,

http://gunmart.net/accessories_review/hornady_204_ruger/

the range i expect to be shhoting at hopefully and with the right circumstances would be 100yrds to 250yrds

I think i'm starting to swing in the direction of the .204 but i'm still not 100%.If any of you have this calibre I would be very interested to hear how you get on with it

thanks for the answers so far they have been a great help please keep any avdice coming

thanks again nick

If its for foxes then fine, but its too much gun for a rabbiting tool even moderated it will be too noisy do too much damage and because of the power you'll be unable to use it in places where you would use a rimfire. If you've a .243 then that is your ideal fox gun which doubles up for deer. Get an HMR for rabbits and you'll be sorted. Any at really long range you could use the .243 but in the real world if you can't get within HMR range you're not trying that hard!!! You tend to use more rounds on rabbits and you really don't want to be using that many rounds in an evening with a centre fire. Ignore the wind issue as its splitting hairs, any HMR user will tell you if its windy limit the range of shots but it really isn't a problem keep to 80 yards and you won't need to compensate much if anything at all.

just had a thought maybe i should put in for .17hmr, 5.5x6mm and .204 ruger

I trust the 5.5x6 is a typo of 6.5x55 based on your other replies?

When planning calibres (unless you want then just to have them) IMO you should tryand space them out a bit so there is less overlap.

Reading your posts I think you have answered your own question.

Given the criteria under which you shoot then you need to consider the right calibre for the right quarry.

There is no universal calibre which will cover all the situations you describe.

I would be advised, were it me, to get the .17 hmr for your long range rabbit work which invariably need to be head shot, and exercise some self control should you bump into Charlie on a nights lamping. I dont care what anyone says the .17 round is not suitable for fox use unless very short ranges are being considered.

.243 would be my choice for the utility Deer round and fox control.

So there you have it.

.204 on rabbits ? do you serve a lot of rabbit soup at your restaurant.

Which one is it ? I would like to give it a try.

Cheers,

Epicurianmike. :unsure:

the .204 isn't as good on fox as a .243 and not deer legal and is too much gun for rabbits which if you have to use a centrefire on them you could just use the .243.

Add to that the cost of each setup and you're far better off spending your money on 2 decent setups than 3 and cutting costs on scopes etc.

p.s the HMR does fine on foxes as long as said you don't stretch it too far, mines certainly had a fair few so far

Edited by al4x

Reading your posts I think you have answered your own question.

Given the criteria under which you shoot then you need to consider the right calibre for the right quarry.

There is no universal calibre which will cover all the situations you describe.

I would be advised, were it me, to get the .17 hmr for your long range rabbit work which invariably need to be head shot, and exercise some self control should you bump into Charlie on a nights lamping. I dont care what anyone says the .17 round is not suitable for fox use unless very short ranges are being considered.

.243 would be my choice for the utility Deer round and fox control.

So there you have it.

.204 on rabbits ? do you serve a lot of rabbit soup at your restaurant.

Which one is it ? I would like to give it a try.

Cheers,

Epicurianmike. :unsure:

the restaurant is allium in fairford, let me know if you decide to come over if you can make it on a sunday lunch we can go rabbiting after if you like as i'm generally off work sunday evenings

I thought the .204 would be a bit much for rabbits also but when i read the review in the link that i posted it seems i would be ok.

nick

the restaurant is allium in fairford, let me know if you decide to come over if you can make it on a sunday lunch we can go rabbiting after if you like as i'm generally off work sunday evenings

I thought the .204 would be a bit much for rabbits also but when i read the review in the link that i posted it seems i would be ok.

nick

Yep know it well been there a few times.... most recently Sunday about 6 weeks ago for Mother in laws 60th....great food.....many of my friends and inlaws use it a great deal.

give it a proper plug thats Allium Restaurant, Bottom of High Street, Fairford. Glos.

Highly reccommended by Epicurian Mike. :unsure:

Good luck with the gun choice.

I guess what I am saying is think of the quarry then think of the calibre.

I didn't want a cabinet full of rifles, as I wanted tools not toys, so went with small, medium and large if you like.

With those 3 calibres there is almost no overlap and they can easily take anything that I have shot so far.

That's not to say my shooting opertunities or needs may not change in time, but for now they do it all, from rabbit to wild boar.

I guess what I am saying is think of the quarry then think of the calibre.

I didn't want a cabinet full of rifles, as I wanted tools not toys, so went with small, medium and large if you like.

With those 3 calibres there is almost no overlap and they can easily take anything that I have shot so far.

That's not to say my shooting opertunities or needs may not change in time, but for now they do it all, from rabbit to wild boar.

Sound bit of advice.....if I may say. :unsure:

Biggest mistake we all make at some point in our working life is not using the right tools to do the job. :)

Yep know it well been there a few times.... most recently Sunday about 6 weeks ago for Mother in laws 60th....great food.....many of my friends and inlaws use it a great deal.

give it a proper plug thats Allium Restaurant, Bottom of High Street, Fairford. Glos.

Highly reccommended by Epicurian Mike. :)

Good luck with the gun choice.

glad you like it mike it means a lot to us when somebody who knows about food gives us their approval. While we're at it though lets not forget allium events the outside catering company which does everything from a pig roast, to sit down meals for 400 people, and the newly opening (next month) deli allium soon to be in the market square.

and back to a more serious note mr dunfield (or anybody else wiser than me) what do you think of my near selection with these rifles and my shotgun (if it ever starts shooting where I tell it too) I think I may well be covered for pretty much everything i'm likely to do in this country.

Nick

p.s. if you can all find a way of quoting mikes post on every thread i would appreciate it and on all other forums, bill boards, radio interviews and tv interviews i would appreciate that too. :lol: :unsure:

Edited by hendersons

glad you like it mike it means a lot to us when somebody who knows about food gives us their approval. While we're at it though lets not forget allium events the outside catering company which does everything from a pig roast, to sit down meals for 400 people, and the newly opening (next month) deli allium soon to be in the market square.

and back to a more serious note mr dunfield (or anybody else wiser than me) what do you think of my near selection with these rifles and my shotgun (if it ever starts shooting where I tell it too) I think I may well be covered for pretty much everything i'm likely to do in this country.

Nick

p.s. if you can all find a way of quoting mikes post on every thread i would appreciate it and on all other forums, bill boards, radio interviews and tv interviews i would appreciate that too. :oops:;)

Dont push it :sly:

o.k. i've just come back from shooting. shot a young roe doe with the chap who's giving me instruction.Can you ever tire of this I don't think I could even after the 150yrd belly crawl to get into position. We then whent to have a go with some smaller calibres the guy i stalk with has .17hmr and a .17remington fb and his friend came who has a .204 I also took my .22lr. we set up a little range at various distances between 50 and 250 yrds in a old gravel workings that is on one of the patches of land I shoot on. I had a go with them all and it whent pretty much as expected with my .22lr being useful out to about 80yrds. I was good with the hmr out to about 150yrds shooting 1 inch groups after that I started to struggle a bit.But it is a good round with little recoil and good accuracy.The .17 remington was good fun shot out to 250yrds and it was as flat as a dab but made a hell of a racket. Then I tried the .204 and to be honest I couldn't find a lot in it between that and the .17 remington.

So having put a few rounds through each we decided to go and find a few bunnys.To do this we decided we would only shoot over 100yrds (we didn't bother taking my .22) as basically that is what i'm considering using the rifle for otherwise I would be carrying my .22. The first one I used was the .17hmr.I took a head shot as this is what I do most of the time anyway. The rabbit was definately dead with quite a large exit wound but that is pretty much good for me as I don't need the heads but I use the shoulders at work. next up was the two big little calibres (does that make sense ? I'm sure you know what I mean) and the 2 guys decided to take their shots simultaneously on two rabbits. 3 2 1 bang these things really are loud should probably say neither had moderators on.

The rabbit that was shot with the .17 reminghton flew about 4 foot in the air but the other 1 just seemed to stay still, although we were fairly certain it was hit. We got to them and had a look both good head shots with quite a lot of damage on the exit side but still no damage to the bit that we eat. So we sat around had a can of beer each talked a bit joked a bit and came to the conclusion any of the little bigs would be preferable over the .17hmr because of the extra range it gives me but if I didn't need that the .17hmr would be good. I think I may need a little more range than the .17hmr so one down two to go.As for the other two we really couldn't pick one out so we decided that i will probably go for the .204 as I think it will do everything I need and it's a bit different to what everybody I know has. I was very surprised how little damage it did to the rabbit really I was expecting it to do a lot more damage than what it did.

So thats it folks hopefully i've decide now so thanks everybody for your opinions and advice i really appreciate all the comments made.

Many thanks nick