Decoying without a magnet

12borejimbo

I would like to know if you guys get good results without setting a magnet up and just use decoys and the odd floater?

Do they still commit?

Do you still get good numbers?

I cant really afford to do trial and error because I work so much and everytime I go decoying it is precious! lol

Just wanted to know what experiences you guys have and what works best or any advice to give me from your wise brains!!!

I suspect you are like most pigeon shooters, if it works, why change it ?

There are times when a magnet seems to make a positive difference and there are times when it seems to be almost a deterrent.

I must say that its my experience that its an advantage 90% of the time.

That doesn't mean it was necessary 90% of the time, but if the birds are committing to the layout, I have no intention of fiddling about with it until they go away, just to prove a point.

On taller crops I always use it, but on short crops or drillings I start without it and if things are slow I add it.

This sometimes brings in the birds, but they might have been coming in anyway.......who knows ? :lol:

When the birds don't come in my experimenting starts, or I move to another field.

I had a magnet but sold it. I could not be bothered to carry it around with the rest of the kit what with catridges and flask. They are good though. Now I just use 12 full bodied decoys and a couple of crows. Field craft and your hunting skills should see you OK.

well im going decoying 2moro and your basically saying just put some coys out and then add the floaters and magnet if it is quiet? Because I usually go where I think they are and set up everything! lol

No. If it's quiet and nothing flying about, what will a magnet do? You want the magnet if there are pigeons about, but not taking interest in your deeks.

However, if they're not taking interest in your deeks, you have to question if you're on the right field or if your pattern is laid out correctly.

I would not go out decoying with out my magnet ,ive had days when it will pull birds from over a mile away as everyone i have had days when its put birds off aswell then i take it in and will use it near to the end of the day . i have shot more birds with the rotary than i have just over decoys tho i have had a few 100 bird days with just decoys . i had a good day yesterday with the magnet but there was another guy out who did not have his magnet and he shot over 175 carts for 73 birds so not always needed the old rotary if like i allways say your in the right place for the birds :D:hmm:

I believe that is good advice there from Cranfield. As a 'by the way' I witnessed the following one day while standing on a tee box waiting to tee off at the local golf course. There was someone decoying pigeons in a nearby field with a rotary spinning away. Now from my position on raised tee box I could see countless pigeons heading for the field and then turning away. They may have seen something else which they didnt like, but I recall thinking, "switch your rotary off for a few minutes mate", just to see if it made a difference. In his defence, the pigeons where approaching the pattern from a direction where they may not have been seen. Then again, maybe he was shooting the wrong side of the field. Anyways, it was interesting to watch from afar.