shooting in gardens?

lowlander

me and my grandad have had a discussion today about shooting shotguns in my garden, we live in the middle of no where, the point at which my grandad said we could shoot from is 72 metres away from the road (we measured it today :oops: ) and backs on to my one of my permissions, i said i dont think we can but he says we can, surely you cant fire a shotgun in your garden?

lowlander

Edited by lowlander

As long as you have permission for any land you shoot on or over then I can't see there would be a problem.

We used to have a little 40 bird shoot in a pub garden every other sunday morning, the 4 stands were a lot closer than 72m from the road and we never had any problems. Obviously, we used to shoot away from the road into the feilds, which we had permission from the feild owner to do so.

me and my grandad have had a discussion today about shooting shotguns in my garden, we live in the middle of no where, the point at which my grandad said we could shoot from is 72 metres away from the road (we measured it today :oops: ) and backs on to my one of my permissions, i said i dont think we can but he says we can, surely you cant fire a shotgun in your garden?

lowlander

Yes you can, there is nothing specifically anywhere in statute that says you cannot, there are of course plenty of Firearms laws etc just the same to comply with.

It is an offence to discharge a firearm within 50ft of a highway but only if doing so would cause distress/danger to a user of the highway.

I regularly shoot my 12b in the back garden but like posted above... I have permission to shoot on the land behind my garden and my nearest neighbour is also a keen shooter.

As long as you have permission for any land you shoot on or over then I can't see there would be a problem.

We used to have a little 40 bird shoot in a pub garden every other sunday morning, the 4 stands were a lot closer than 72m from the road and we never had any problems. Obviously, we used to shoot away from the road into the feilds, which we had permission from the feild owner to do so.

Yes but the problems with the Dove are now only starting.

As you can guess the complaints have started in earnest.

As long as the shot doesn't leave your land or if it does, you have permission on the adjacent land where the shot would fall, otherwise you are into armed trespass territory.

I shoot from my bedroom window when I get invaded with pigeons trying to destroy my veg plot. I have neighbours, who have no problem with me shooting, (I always use the .410 Hush power to reduce noise to a minimum), beyond my garden is a field belonging to the farm that I have permission on. The shot crosses my boundry, a lane I own and into a field, so that is OK.