Scope shim query.

vole

Had trouble with a new scope and mounts. Could not get enough elevation to get onto the paper. Was told to put shims under the front mount but was hit with a series of misfires before I could zero again and packed in.

My brain tells me that to lift the front of the scope makes the muzzle and the reticule point away from each other so making it shoot lower still. One pw member agreed.

3 folk down the rfd tell me I should be shimming the front too. I was prepared to accept the opinion of the majority until I came across this

http://www.youngmans.com/acatalog/Setting_up_your_Scope.html

Who is right here?

Yours, Confused.

Edited by vole

if not enough elevation,then as above,shim the back but,i would swop the scope rings round(they may even not be a matched pair)and try them that way first before shimming,as it is something that is not always needed doing.

also was the gun accurate before you got the scope or mounts,as it may have other issues?

al

Sorry if this sounds a little patronising, it isn't meant to be, but the solution is quite basic and not rocket science!

If the rifle is shooting low with the scopes set to their maximum adjustment then you need to put the shim under the scope at the rear mount to raise the rear of the scope up. If however the rifle is shooting high with the scopes on their maximum adjustment then the shim needs to be under the scope on the front mount to raise the front end of the scope. However, it might well be worth trying to change the mounts around first by moving the mount from the front to the back and vice versa, this will sometimes solve the problem.

If they really are a long way out you should check the mounts as they might not be a matched pair!

Hope that this helps solve the problem mate!

Sorry if this sounds a little patronising, it isn't meant to be, but the solution is quite basic and not rocket science!

If the rifle is shooting low with the scopes set to their maximum adjustment then you need to put the shim under the scope at the rear mount to raise the rear of the scope up. If however the rifle is shooting high with the scopes on their maximum adjustment then the shim needs to be under the scope on the front mount to raise the front end of the scope. However, it might well be worth trying to change the mounts around first by moving the mount from the front to the back and vice versa, this will sometimes solve the problem.

If they really are a long way out you should check the mounts as they might not be a matched pair!

:hmm::good::hmm:

...and if my memory serves me correctly this is for a rimfire, something just isn't right here talking about having to shim a scope for rimfire ranges!! :hmm::P:hmm:

try swapping the mount round if it shoots the same pack the back mount up with 35mm negative film. I ways lap all my rings so they are in perfect alignment, the last scope I put on a rifle I bore sighted and it and needed no adjustment at 100 yards.

if not enough elevation,then as above,shim the back but,i would swop the scope rings round(they may even not be a matched pair)and try them that way first before shimming,as it is something that is not always needed doing.

also was the gun accurate before you got the scope or mounts,as it may have other issues?

al

Albob, this is the 1st time I have used the gun. I swopped round then reversed the mounts even and the last shots I took were well low.

Not at all Frenchieboy. The above posts confirm what I thought and that the rear of the scope needed lifting. The last time I used scopes on anything was on a BSA Airsporter potting woodies out of the window. This being 30 years ago. I need to hear this stuff in order to gain experience. These are not novices I am getting the advice off but it just does not make sense.To lift the objective end of a scope results in a lower placed shot in my mind. Now I am clear on it I can sort it. Thanks chaps.

50 yards only Wymberley. I was just doing it all wrong. I have had quite a bit of practise zeroing the club rifles but when mine needed adjustment I got a bit lost really. Lifting the back end would have helped instead of the front it seems. Will get my firing pin prob fixed then back on the targets before I go anywhere near a field.

Albob, this is the 1st time I have used the gun. I swopped round then reversed the mounts even and the last shots I took were well low.

as you do not know the history of the gun,i would check things carefully.

try the things above suggetsed and if no joy,try withou silencer on.

when you say low,are they in a group or a line or shotgun style?

is the gun new or secondhand?

al