Barbed/Razor wire in fields. Why ?????

post-2492-1270123665.jpgpost-2492-1270123650.jpg

Just a question why barbed wire is used in fields, alot of the time hidden in hedges were our lovely companion gundogs can't always see with the risk of injuries?

My weimaraner bitch got injured a couple of days ago with two nasty deep cuts on her front leg, which needed stitching up and is now recovering. This is not the first time she got injured on barbed wire as two years ago she had a nasty cut on her chest. My mates springer spanial split its ear nearly in half and that needed stitching up. Anyone else on here experience injuries to there dogs or have i got a very unlucky dog ? I have come to a conclusion that i shall survey the land i shoot and work the dog on before i let her loose to hunt. Apart from the cost, so far a vet bill of £315, with other visit planned to the vet next week, i cannot see why barbed wire is used in this way. :shoot::good:

Maltese Falcon.

Edited by Maltese Falcon

Is this a serious question?

Sorry to hear about your dog bt maybe you should be a bit more careful in future.

Harry

Yes it is a serious question. Yes i will be more careful in the future. Maybe what it is is because i originaly come from Malta were cattle is kept in place whitin stone fencing if you can call it that and the only barbed wire you see is around the prison, the only danger to gundogs there is the prickly pear cactus tree, however that is another story.

Never seen razor wrie used in fields, but barbed wire is used as it's a cheap and successful way of keep stock where you want them. Cattle particularly will rub against most things and will demolish a wooden fence very quickly.

My mistake, i tend to call barbed wire rasor wire sometimes. No you are right, no rasor wire used just barbed wire.

regards

george. :shoot:

It is there to keep sheep and cattle where they are supposed to be. Most people in this country treat barbed wire as a fact of life when in the countryside. Surely you aren't suggesting farmers put it there just to injure dogs? :shoot:

A farm is a primarily workplace and not a theme park for shooters or dog owners. Those of us lucky enough to be allowed on a farm to shoot are duty bound to treat it as a privilege and recognise that the the fixtures and fittings are for the benefit of the stock, the crop and the farmer's livelihood - not us.

I hope your dog recovers soon

Edited by Blunderbuss

get picture of the wire and location and there must be some one to report it to RSPCA or LOCAL COUNCIL cos its bloody dangerous stuff . i dont know that a farm would use razor wire for cattle i may be wrong but i thought it was very expensive . i thought it was for barrier against human intruders in or out

Edited by BSA-airgunner

It is there to keep sheep and cattle where they are supposed to be. Most people in this country treat barbed wire as a fact of life when in the countryside. Surely you aren't suggesting farmers put it there just to injure dogs? :shoot:

A farm is a primarily workplace and not a theme park for shooters or dog owners. Those of us lucky enough to be allowed on a farm to shoot are duty bound to treat it as a privilege and recognise that the the fixtures and fittings are for the benefit of the stock, the crop and the farmer's livelihood - not us.

I hope your dog recovers soon

No No No, i am not suggesting that farmers put it in fields to injure dogs, and yes we are priveleged to be allowed to shoot on their land, as i know how many farmers i had to speak to before i got permission to shoot on their land. I just thought if there is an alternative to barbed wire thats all.

get picture of the wire and location and there must be some one to report it to RSPCA or LOCAL COUNCIL cos its bloody dangerous stuff . i dont know that a farm would use razor wire for cattle i may be wrong but i thought it was very expensive . i thought it was for barrier against human intruders in or out

Not being funny mate, but with that attitude - if I was a farmer I wouldn't give you permission to shoot on any land of mine :shoot:

Would you rather have an electric fence?

Barb is a good way of keeping stock in or out of a place. Farmers cannot afford to build dry stone walls as it takes time, it was alright in the old days where you had gangs of peasants to do it next to nothing.

And Im sure we're not allowed to use razor wire anymore

Not being funny mate, but with that attitude - if I was a farmer I wouldn't give you permission to shoot on any land of mine :shoot:

your not my farmer and im not asking you and if there is razor wire in place of barbed wire them who ever has it in place does not care for there own live stock . cattle caught in barbed causes enough damage so i hate to think what razor wire would do . but then as you say it is my attitude that counts and not the responsible land owners . how silly of me............

razor wire is only allowed 8ft above floor level... its a big legal deal if its even 1" bellow that with totally no exceptions . as for barb its utterly unnecessary in 90% of its application but sadly its here to stay

i was lucky fargo bounced off when he hit it at full kilt !

razor wire is only allowed 8ft above floor level... its a big legal deal if its even 1" bellow that with totally no exceptions . as for barb its utterly unnecessary in 90% of its application but sadly its here to stay

i did think there were legal guide lines for razor wire

maltese falcon we all hope the dog makes a good recovery ( i do like his lamp shade)

Edited by BSA-airgunner

your not my farmer and im not asking you and if there is razor wire in place of barbed wire them who ever has it in place does not care for there own live stock . cattle caught in barbed causes enough damage so i hate to think what razor wire would do . but then as you say it is my attitude that counts and not the responsible land owners . how silly of me............

If you read the OP's clarification it was barbed wire not razor wire. No I'm not your farmer, but I wonder what he would think if you advised some one on HIS land to report him to the RSPCA or council for having the temerity to place barbed wire on his own property? Because that is what you seemed to be advising the OP to do is it not?

If you read the OP's clarification it was barbed wire not razor wire. No I'm not your farmer, but I wonder what he would think if you advised some one on HIS land to report him to the RSPCA or council for having the temerity to place barbed wire on his own property? Because that is what you seemed to be advising the OP to do is it not?

if i felt that there were problems on my shoots i would seek that it was put right after all animal well fair is very important and in what we do . if it meant i lost all of my land then so be it at least i would have done my bit to prevent unnecessary suffering if you would choose to turn a blind eye thats upto you . and i dont be leave that if i told maltese falcon to jump of a cliff he would....

As i said i do NOT blame farmers,after all it is their land. Was basically asking a question thats all, nowt wrong with my attitude as i get on really well with farmers i shoot for, thankyou.

if i felt that there were problems on my shoots i would seek that it was put right after all animal well fair is very important and in what we do . if it meant i lost all of my land then so be it at least i would have done my bit to prevent unnecessary suffering if you would choose to turn a blind eye thats upto you . and i dont be leave that if i told maltese falcon to jump of a cliff he would....

Well said, and no i will not jump of a cliff even if you ordered me to do so.

As i said i do NOT blame farmers,after all it is their land. Was basically asking a question thats all, nowt wrong with my attitude as i get on really well with farmers i shoot for, thankyou.
Maltese Falcon, look again. The line you quote was directed at BSA Airgunner, not you.

I am absolutely staggered that someone on a shooting forum would seriously suggest reporting a farmer to the RSPCA, just because they had a barbed wire fence on their land!!! :good::shoot::good:

Maltese Falcon, look again. The line you quote was directed at BSA Airgunner, not you.

I am absolutely staggered that someone on a shooting forum would seriously suggest reporting a farmer to the RSPCA, just because they had a barbed wire fence on their land!!! :P???:lol:

My appoligies Dave, sorry mate, i guess i was seeing a bit of red mist :shoot::good::good:

george

No worries George. That's a seriously nice looking hound you have there, I hope she loses the lampshade and the bandages soon!

She's on the mend, she is only 4, they tend to heal quicker when they are young. been to the vet today, stiches healing well , should be out of lamp shade by monday. No off lead walks for another 3 or 4 weeks, vet advice.

george

I would love to hear why barbed wire is utterly unecessary in 90% of its application? As a stock farmer I spend all day every day surrounded by it and have several sheepdogs who can jump clean over it with their paws on the top wire no hassle. If theres some secret fencing method us farmers have been missing out on for the past 100 years I'd love to hear that too.

Edited by ross16689