Foxing tonight with the shotgun

SSS

I thought I would try and clear some of the foxes up tonight, save some lamb deaths, so I went out lamping tonight at about 9.30 for a rather eventful evening.

I wasn't expecting very much, but ended the night with one fox.

First field I went into, I spotted a fox. I lit him up and gave a little squeak from the WAM caller. No chance, he took cover behind a large pile of muck which is waiting to be spread on the field, so I left it and moved onto the second. Had a quick scan whilst calling with the WAM. There was a badger in the field, which was interested in the squeaking, but as soon as it realised what the noise was, it took off. I moved onto the next field, climbed over the gate and called again. Nothing still. I looked back where I had come from, and there was a fox at about 250 yards away, coming along the hedgerow towards me. I was upwind of him, so needed to move, and fast. Made my way down to the bottom of the field and set myself up in the hedge bottom. He came running to the squeak, with no filter on the lamp. I steadied myself, and waited patiently, calling every few seconds, with a couple of seconds pause. The wait for him to get to me felt like ages, but he kept coming, so I kept calling.

This is where it gets exciting, 20 yards away, still coming to the call, 10 yards, 5 yards. At this point, my heart was pounding in my chest and the adrenalin was flowing. I let him come to about 3 yards, stood up, and sent 36 grams of number 1 his direction. In the panic and excitement, I managed to drop the lamp, but amazingly, managed to hit him. When I dropped the lamp he stopped still as a stone, and met his maker rather quick.

I don't know if anyone has ever pattern tested a shotgun, with the barrels about 6 feet from the pattern plate, but it made one hell of a mess, and there was a hole from top to bottom of his head.

The thrill of it was enough for me for one night, so I packed up and headed back.

I did take a picture, but my missus deleted it because she said, 'its disgusting'. I have to agree.

The fox was absolutely riddled with mange and fleas, there was hardly any fur on it at all, and is was stick thin. Shame to see them in that condition, but that is nature for you.

I saw a barn owl whilst I was out, and for the first time, heard it screech. What a spooky noise.

Any way, enough from me.

All the best,

Sam :)

good going and nice story. :)

i treied squeaking one in tonight,he just kept peeping now and again,i think in disgust at me interupting it`s hunting.kept itself at a good distance.

i think the one you called in was in such a poor state ,it needed the squeak to think it had an easy meal to go and get.

noticed healthy ones seem a bit cute(meaning..crafty) at the moment.

oh and why was your sidekick not with you? :hmm:

al

The thing is, I would have taken him, but 2 reasons, 1 I am only allowed on that permission on my own, and 2, he would have either turned the lamp off (like the first time) or missed (like the second or third times). :hmm:

It always seems better on my own, I get more of a chance to experience the wildlife ???

Only jesting about point 2 :)

Edited by SSS

Cheers spaniel and frenchieboy, to be honesy, I wouldn't normally let it get that close, but I remember one of the warreners videos where the fox bit his foot and thought I would see how close I could let him come. A shotgun at that range is incredible, I never expected it to do the damage it did, it is a sight that will stick with me for a long time :D

Cheers spaniel and frenchieboy, to be honesy, I wouldn't normally let it get that close, but I remember one of the warreners videos where the fox bit his foot and thought I would see how close I could let him come. A shotgun at that range is incredible, I never expected it to do the damage it did, it is a sight that will stick with me for a long time :D

remember watching that video and it was amazing to watch him bring them in so close and he had several people with him to. :lol:

al

'There was a badger in the field, which was interested in the squeaking, but as soon as it realised what the noise was, it took off.' why were you trying to squeak a badger in :lol:

theres always one :yes:

Had a quick scan whilst calling with the WAM. There was a badger in the field, which was interested in the squeaking, but as soon as it realised what the noise was, it took off.

id assume he was calling and scanning in the field, then spotted the badger

theres always one :yes:

Had a quick scan whilst calling with the WAM. There was a badger in the field, which was interested in the squeaking, but as soon as it realised what the noise was, it took off.

id assume he was calling and scanning in the field, then spotted the badger

I was doing exactly that, thanks babbs :lol:

Its times like that, all the other times I have been out and blanked, were worth it in the end.

Get out there, what's the worse that can happen.

For the shotgunners amongst us, I seriously recommend getting a WAM, it never fails to bring them in :good: