Do hypa flappers work for you ?

anser2

At last the pigeons are back on the rape in my area. I took a mate out and told him to set up under a regular flightline over the field. He set up using 15 decoys and magnet with a hyper flappers. I set up on the other side of the field 400 yards off with a 18 decoys , a bouncer and magnet with dead birds. While sport was not fast I had a steady stream of birds ignoring my mates decoys and crossing the field for mine. 3 hours later he had one iffy shot while my bag was steadily growing. I phoned him up and told him to come over and share my hide. Of course the pigeons instantly stopped coming for a while , but after an hour the flight started up again . He had lost confidence in his gear and his shooting and despite having 20 or so shots only dropped one bird and we could not find that. I ended the day with 40 odd birds.

It was clear that the pigeons were just not responding to his set up while they were locking onto mine from 500 yards off and ignoring his as they flew past within 50-100 yards.

Edited by anser2

Was out with Bluebarrels last year on some chopped maize. I was one end of the field with a flapper and magnet with foam decoys and 20 odd flocked decoys. He has 16 or so shell decoys and the hyper flaps on his magnet. They were piling into his so like a gentleman called me over. We had a fabulous afternoon finishing on 68, should have shot better (me!) The birds were literally trying to land on his hyperflaps! Mine was still out 100 yards away and they were completely ignoring it. The hyper flaps are very convincing, but I think as always said, you will always have more success where they are commited to feed.

I brought a pair of hypaflaps a year ago for my magnet because i wanted something i could keep in the van just incase i got off work early. I found them hard work they would occasionally pull birds but most would flare off before they got in range. They still come in handy just to get the first two birds if i havnt got any defrosted then i swop them straight over. I tried them a couple of times while shooting with a friend who was using dead birds and i never decoyed a bird while he had his magnet out. Ive never actually tried it but we always joke about setting them up on the other side of the field to stop the birds landing there i think it would work.

i bought 2 a few months ago and there great on still day but found them **** on windy days they just seam to noisey .i some times use the as guides into the pattern (get a fiber glass rod the ones you see in fields for making crops 4ft long bind it with pvc tape fiber glass splinters other wise )i fit them to the rod and have them 50 -60 yards out facing into the wind .i find they realy turn the ones that have over flowen the decoys or were not that intrested in the decoy worht at try

I think they are brilliant, like anything though they will have days were they wont work, but then again who on here that use real pigeons can say they are guaranteed? I'm certain no one can guarantee even real birds will pull them in every time. Unfortunately a single test using two types still doesn't prove a theory, because on another day the opposite will work better!

I've used a few different types and for me the Hypers are an excellent decoy, I coughed at the price before owning them but I wouldn't think twice now to replace them if they were lost.

Just my opinion on the matter......!

Ive used hypas for over 3 years now and like most of the things we try they work well one day pulling birds in and duff the next, but i wouldnt not take them with me.

I made a very lightweight small rotary from a kids toy and some small whip fishing rods , runs all day on a 6v 10ah battery which is much lighter to carry on the long muddy walks, with hypas it will run on one arm and bird which does work again on the right day.

Useing a hypa on floaters as already said does work,.