despatching birds

aauser

ok guys whats the best way to despatch a pricked bird ,do you think the fishing priest is the way to go, or ring the neck all i want to know is what is the quickest and most humane way to do it ,i currently ring the neck but would like the finish to be quicker, your expertize needed please

just to follow up on other posts on these threads,personally anything like a pigeon,woodcock or pheasant then its a chap on the bag of the head as the tissue is delicate and you just make a mess of the bird. when i shoot a goose or duck then it swung roung until its neck brakes. doing this as a youngster wasnt nice but it has to be done to prevent suffering

I used to use a priest but to be honest it was a pain and just something else to carry.

If you hold the head and spin the body the head can come right off with blood getting every where so I have learnt to do it this way.

With the pigeons head in the palm of your hand, grip its neck tightly between a hooked index finger and the thumb and give it a couple of spins as though you were stirring something vigorously with a stick. This breaks the spine further down and leaves the head intact as long as you keep a tight grip for the body to work against.

Hold body, 1-2-3 turns of the head and *crack* it's dead. No feathers lost, no headless bird and you don't look like a muppet trying to beat up a bird.

Absolutely :no: I'm afraid though it takes practice, I suggest you try with birds already dead to learn the technique :hmm: