DSC1

ab1964

This weekend was assessment weekend for the DSC1 course I enrolled in. As you all may know: There is a shooting test; safety test; deer recognition test; general deer and stalking knowledge test; and meat handling test.

Short story is I passed!

Now I need a place to stalk :lol:

Edited by ab1964

This weekend was assessment weekend for the DSC1 course I enrolled in. As you all may know: There is a shooting test; safety test; deer recognition test; general deer and stalking knowledge test; and meat handling test.

Short story is I passed!

Long story is: The shooting test took me two goes as one shot was way low and left, outside the heart/lung area. Safety test is you get it all correct - or you fail. No margin for error. Obviously I passed the safety portion. Deer recognition I got 20 out of 20; general stalking knowledge 48 out of 50 and meat handling hygiene test 38 out of 40.

Sort of all dressed up and nowhere to go! Never mind, you shall go to the ball Cinders

Well done you!

[/color]

• 2 weeks later...

Short story is I passed!

Where did you do yours? I passed mine, same weekend up in Northumberland. Come stalking with me up at Greenlee, Northumberland in May, they will take 2 rifles out but it will cost you £90 x 2 (evening stalk then following morning) plus accomodation... no trophy fees though.

Well done though, hope you enjoyed it as much as I did! :lol:

What do you get when you pass the DSC1

A certificate stating that you have been assessed in deer knowledge, stalking knowledge, deer identification , rifle safety and marksmanship. You also gain trained hunter status which comes complete with your own registration number so you can tag a carcase and legally introduce it into the food chain having carried out initial checks to ascertain the health of the beast. Due to the new Food Safety Legislation without this you cannot legally sell a carcase to a game dealer.

And..... most important of all......

A real sense of achievement!!! ;)

Edited by Vipa

Did my DSC1 in March, it was a bit nerve wracking as I did the study myself rather than doing a course, yippee I passed though, 3 out of the 7 that did the course failed, 1 on the shooting test, 1 on ident and 1 on general deer knowledge I believe. Sweated a bit as it took 4 weeks to get my certificate, I had convinced myself I had failed. Have my cert now hanging on my office wall. ;)

Where did you do yours? I passed mine, same weekend up in Northumberland. Come stalking with me up at Greenlee, Northumberland in May, they will take 2 rifles out but it will cost you £90 x 2 (evening stalk then following morning) plus accomodation... no trophy fees though.

Well done though, hope you enjoyed it as much as I did! ;)

Took the course at the Stead Hall Rifle and Pistol Club (http://www.steadhallrpc.co.uk/index.htm) the course was sponsored and ran by the The British Deer Society.

A certificate stating that you have been assessed in deer knowledge, stalking knowledge, deer identification , rifle safety and marksmanship. You also gain trained hunter status which comes complete with your own registration number so you can tag a carcase and legally introduce it into the food chain having carried out initial checks to ascertain the health of the beast. Due to the new Food Safety Legislation without this you cannot legally sell a carcase to a game dealer.

And..... most important of all......

A real sense of achievement!!! :blink:

Are you sure about needing a registration number for a game dealer.

Are you sure about needing a registration number for a game dealer.

Yup.... You can supply small quantities to family and friends for PRIVATE CONSUMPTION but if you intend to sell to a game dealer (new term is Authorised Game Handling Establishment) then you have to be registered so you can tag the carcase with your reg number. The idea is that if there is a problem with the meat, E-coli for e.g. the meat can be traced to it's source, i.e. you. By tagging and signing you are confirming that you have checked the animal for signs of abnormal behaviour before it was shot and then post kill have checked the gralloch and lymphatic system for signs of disease, notifiable or otherwise. Any observations need to be noted on the tag, for example if you discover Liver Fluke during inspection, the carcase can still go into the food chain but the liver must be destroyed. The fact that Liver Fluke was discovered must be noted on the tag.

You can still sell a carcase into an AGHE without being registered as a 'Trained Hunter' but you must supply it complete with head, feet and pluck so that a registered person can inspect it for signs of disease and take the appropriate action if necessary before it is introduced into the food chain.

Edited by Vipa

Intresting, is this the same for rabbit etc.

No, only large game, rabbits are classed as small game and as far as I'm aware don't come under the same legislation although I may be wrong. I only stalk deer and pigeons and any pigeons either go in my belly or whole to the game dealer.

Yup.... You can supply small quantities to family and friends for PRIVATE CONSUMPTION but if you intend to sell to a game dealer (new term is Authorised Game Handling Establishment) then you have to be registered so you can tag the carcase with your reg number. The idea is that if there is a problem with the meat, E-coli for e.g. the meat can be traced to it's source, i.e. you. By tagging and signing you are confirming that you have checked the animal for signs of abnormal behaviour before it was shot and then post kill have checked the gralloch and lymphatic system for signs of disease, notifiable or otherwise. Any observations need to be noted on the tag, for example if you discover Liver Fluke during inspection, the carcase can still go into the food chain but the liver must be destroyed. The fact that Liver Fluke was discovered must be noted on the tag.

You can still sell a carcase into an AGHE without being registered as a 'Trained Hunter' but you must supply it complete with head, feet and pluck so that a registered person can inspect it for signs of disease and take the appropriate action if necessary before it is introduced into the food chain.

Where does it say you have to registered to be able to tag the carcase, need only name of stalker and where animal shot ?

You can still send deer to a AGHE but you have to also send the head, heart lungs and liver...A trained person does not have to send in the head etc. (this is from the good book)

Apparently a trained person has sufficient knowledge of pathology.

Now if you have never been stalking or done a gralloch before how does a 4 day course give you sufficient knowledge of pathology.

You can still send deer to a AGHE but you have to also send the head, heart lungs and liver...A trained person does not have to send in the head etc. (this is from the good book)

Apparently a trained person has sufficient knowledge of pathology.

Now if you have never been stalking or done a gralloch before how does a 4 day course give you sufficient knowledge of pathology.

The length and content of the course is irrelevant, the fact that by taking the exam you have PROVED that you possess the necessary knowledge is relevant.

Remember, you don't have to do the course, you can just sit the exam.

It's the same as being perfectly safe riding a motorcycle, you may have done it for years off road, you may be perfectly proficient but until you have PROVED it by taking your bike test, they won't give you a licence! And, as I discovered in 2001, with very little experience on big bikes (15 years previous I had a 125 on L plates for 6 months) I went on a fast track bike course and one week later passed my bike test. The duration of the course is not important as long as the necessary knowledge and skills are transfered from trainer to trainee. It does'nt need years of stalking experience to be able to identify liver fluke or nasal bot fly larvae or swolen/inflamed lymph nodes or heavy parasite infestation etc... etc...

Edited by Vipa

The length and content of the course is irrelevant, the fact that by taking the exam you have PROVED that you possess the necessary knowledge is relevant.

Remember, you don't have to do the course, you can just sit the exam.

It's the same as being perfectly safe riding a motorcycle, you may have done it for years off road, you may be perfectly proficient but until you have PROVED it by taking your bike test, they won't give you a licence! And, as I discovered in 2001, with very little experience on big bikes (15 years previous I had a 125 on L plates for 6 months) I went on a fast track bike course and one week later passed my bike test. The duration of the course is not important as long as the necessary knowledge and skills are transfered from trainer to trainee. It does'nt need years of stalking experience to be able to identify liver fluke or nasal bot fly larvae or swolen/inflamed lymph nodes or heavy parasite infestation etc... etc...

But you had rode a bike in the past, so had a basic knowledge... Dont get me wrong the knowledge is relevant (I am on the course in a few weeks), it was more the fact that you can have trained hunter certificate without even shooting or seeing the inside of a deer.