How thick does my protection need to be ?

ME

Why dont you put a frame behind the cab infront of the shooters (think [----] - that is my technical drawing the bar would need to be higher) set at a height so the muzzle will knock the bar but but clear the cab, if you catch my drift

Or make a frame for the roof and load with builders sand bags

A solid roof certainly would help. Then the barrel couldn't drop that low anyway.

Although I'm against the idea of driver protection as I feel gun handling could eliminate the chance of an accident I do have one thought. Could you not put a marine ply roof on the truck and gaffer tape some cheap surplus flak jackets to the underside? I've shot my flak jacket with my .22lr and it hardly dented it! You can pick them up for £20 or so and ten of them would cover the roof with overlapped joints. They're light too.

Why does everybody insist on telling ME that an accident couldn't happen?

Gun safety - rubbish: things can and do go wrong, anybody who thinks otherwise is naive or simply a damn fool.

because we've used similar setups, If you look at the truck and imagine a shooter in the seat resting on the roof the barrel will be infront of the drivers head. From that you can draw your own conclusion as to how it could happen. With very basic safety precautions you will be safe, if not then its time to give up before you shoot someone

With very basic safety precautions you will be safe, if not then its time to give up before you shoot someone

It is not always the case that the barrel is in front of the driver's head. It's a tight set up, the barrels are short (as previously mentioned) so why take the risk? The fact is, with the truck bouncing about there is a risk of an accidental discharge, the driver has somebody just behind him with a loaded gun, so there is a wish to offer greater protection.

I guess with your expert risk assessment of everything, you never take out any form of insurance, save the statutory minimum, because nothing could ever happen to you.

can't you see its nearly impossible to point the gun at a drivers head, you would need to stand up to point the gun into the cab area. Loads of people lamp from pickups without armour plating the roof area. Bouncing wise is why you put decen seats in so you are sitting safely and can hold the gun properly. I've been lamping like it for about the last 15 years and never had an accidental discharge, Not to say it couldn't happen but when you sit your gun on a bipod on the roof with the safety on or bolt open the risk is minimised. Even if you did you wouldn't be able to shoot someone in the truck. These guns are short but they aren't that short.

How do you turn the car toward the right?

Surely that would mean driving into / over crops ?

Lamping out of truck windows is **** - to say the least. It's noisy, uncomfortable and tricky to get a decent rest.

Shooting hatch or pickups are easily the best option.

How do you turn the car toward the right?

Surely that would mean driving into / over crops ?

Lamping out of truck windows is **** - to say the least. It's noisy, uncomfortable and tricky to get a decent rest.

Shooting hatch or pickups are easily the best option.

put a bit of foam pipe insulation on the window and it's fine....plus up here the weather gets severly cold and rainey so it's best to be inside!

Most of the land up here is grass so the crop thing doesn't really make much odd's, and if there is a crop on the right we stop and shoot off the bonnet....

if it is crop it's usually wheat/barley/rape and cannot be driven on...so you just lamp from the edge...

Edited by gixer1

when you've tried it from the top Gixer you wouldn't want to go back to sitting inside especially if rabbiting. We occasionally fox sitting in the vehicle but only if its particularly cold, sitting on top you get an easy shot on anything in front of you with a decent rest,

when you've tried it from the top Gixer you wouldn't want to go back to sitting inside especially if rabbiting. We occasionally fox sitting in the vehicle but only if its particularly cold, sitting on top you get an easy shot on anything in front of you with a decent rest,

Dare say you're right there Alex...it's just too bloody cold usually up here!

I have stood out a sun roof....but I guess a flat back pick-up would feel different...