Latest pictures of My Viszla, Purdey

Evil Elvis

:lol: I cant believe how good she is, shes now toilet trained, sleeps through the night, retrieves her dummy consistently and walks great on the lead, she sits on command and is very gentle with the kids. She also retrieved a baby rabbit for me last night and didnt mark it!!! SEE TOPIC IN SPORTING PICTURES

Purdey's first game retrieve

173101.jpg

173107.jpg

The only thing is off the lead, when she gets a scent she follows it regardless!!!! Not bad considering we havent started training classes yet! :good:

:good: Shes a real sweetie too.Markio what you got?

Black lab pup on it's way next weekend. Yeah yeah, boring i know, but just my style! :lol:

Just one thing , do me a favour and lose the collar :lol:

Are you suggestion it's a gay collar or that it doesn't need one full stop? If yes to number 2 they have to wear one at some point, no? If the dog was to leg it then i thought a collar and ID tag was a must, or at least beneficial.

However, if it's point one... Baz, loose the collar! :lol:

Working dogs do not have to wear a collar,

Which is why microchipping or tatoos are such a good idea, If someone was to take your dog the first thing they will do is remove the collar anyway. Merlin never has a collar on, the last thing I would want is for him to be caught up on a branch etc where I couldn't get to him.

Both my dogs have collars and name tags but they never actually wear them.

Working dogs do not have to wear a collar,

Which is why microchipping or tatoos are such a good idea, If someone was to take your dog the first thing they will do is remove the collar anyway. Merlin never has a collar on, the last thing I would want is for him to be caught up on a branch etc where I couldn't get to him.

Both my dogs have collars and name tags but they never actually wear them.

When 'working' i agree with your comments entirely, but the pooch was in bazza's back garden. Maybe as part of the pup training he's getting it used to wearing one? If you're taking it for a walk off lead would it not be sensible to have a collar? If the dog was to leg it then it's handle for YXYZ person to hold onto the dog as well as a quick ID with mobile number on it? In the right circumstances i can't see a problem with a collar, as well as without.

Seen to many dogs caught up even hung due to a collar :good:

I have never seen one hung but have had to free a couple from being caught up and that is why Merlin will never wear one. He is microchipped and Fleur is going to be chipped on monday so I don't see the issue.

I agree with Mark about if your dog runs off then the person that finds it can ring you, But I still won't put one on him unless we are away from home.

Baz,

You mentioned "The only thing is off the lead, when she gets a scent she follows it regardless!!!!"...

Be careful mate and limit the amount of free running you let her have; one of the things I messed up with Zeus and difficult to correct.

If she does run off when you don't want her too make sure she knows you do not approve of it and don't allow it to happen too many times.

They can lead you into a false sense of security, soon after ours was vaccinated he was off lead - he'd turn on two pips of the whistle and bolt back on a recall command but as hormones kicked in it all started going wrong. As a bitch you should have less trouble but keep on top of it amigo.

If I get another it will spend very little time, if any, free running anywhere near where scents might be until it's rock solid on all aspects of obedience, steady etc.

BR

Raja