once fired 308 brass

7.62 is .308 but as been said a lot of it is berdan primed. The boxer primed ones usually have the primers crimped in so the primer pockets have to be reamed.

One little word of caution, if your FAC says .308 then you can't really have loaded ammo with cases headstamped 7.62 even though they are the same in every way. I doubt it would ever come to anything because you could always talk your way out of it but its a technicality to bear in mind because some police forces might be difficult about it.

Its the same with .223 and 5.56mm ammunition, pedantic I know but these things are best avoided if you want to stay squeaky clean.

A bigger problem exists with gallery rifles in .357 Mag. A lot of shooters reload .38 Special cases to use on indoor ranges but if your certificate is for .357 then .38 Special is classed as a different calibre. The same goes for .44 Mag and .44 Special. You are technically only allowed to have ammunition in the calibre stated on your FAC. its the headstamp that defines the calibre in the eyes if the law.

It can be avoided by requesting .308/7.62 or .223/ 5.56mm or .357/.38 when you renew your certificate.

Edited by Vince Green

7.62 is .308 but as been said a lot of it is berdan primed. The boxer primed ones usually have the primers crimped in so the primer pockets have to be reamed.

One little word of caution, if your FAC says .308 then you can't really have loaded ammo with cases headstamped 7.62 even though they are the same in every way. I doubt it would ever come to anything because you could always talk your way out of it but its a technicality to bear in mind because some police forces might be difficult about it.

Its the same with .223 and 5.56mm ammunition, pedantic I know but these things are best avoided if you want to stay squeaky clean.

A bigger problem exists with gallery rifles in .357 Mag. A lot of shooters reload .38 Special cases to use on indoor ranges but if your certificate is for .357 then .38 Special is classed as a different calibre. The same goes for .44 Mag and .44 Special. You are technically only allowed to have ammunition in the calibre stated on your FAC. its the headstamp that defines the calibre in the eyes if the law.

It can be avoided by requesting .308/7.62 or .223/ 5.56mm or .357/.38 when you renew your certificate.

The voice off sense and reason again . you beat me to it Vince .

Harnser .

Question: where would that leave me then I shoot a lot of obsolete calibre stuff .310 Cadet,297/230 Morris (short and long),.300 Sherwood,.300 Rook,.297/250 Morris,.All my cases are formed from other commercially available cartridges such as the 32/20 for the .310 and .22 Hornet for the Morris's and all are headstamped as such ?.

Mike...

7.62 is only .308 in regard to bullet size....I know next to nothing about reloading but I knew they were not the same...

http://www.303british.com/id36.html

ATB!!

Read Cartridges if the World. The 7.62 was introduced by NATO in 1950s and Winchester adopted it in a civilian designation as .308 Winchester. All that article is talking about is chamber tolerance and military rifles have looser chambers because they they dont want jam ups on automatic rifles.

Also, more recently the max pressure of ammuntion loaded to military specs has a slightly higher pressure. Other than that the .308 Win is just the civilian re-name for the 7.62x51 Nato.

Question: where would that leave me then I shoot a lot of obsolete calibre stuff .310 Cadet,297/230 Morris (short and long),.300 Sherwood,.300 Rook,.297/250 Morris,.All my cases are formed from other commercially available cartridges such as the 32/20 for the .310 and .22 Hornet for the Morris's and all are headstamped as such ?.

Mike...

A friend of mine has exactly the same problem and I think its just a case of be aware of the situation and get on with it. Life is not perfect and if you shoot obsolete calibres you are going to have modified ammunition. Its very unlikely that you would be ever asked about but if you were you have a very good reason for the anomoly.

Read Cartridges if the World. The 7.62 was introduced by NATO in 1950s and Winchester adopted it in a civilian designation as .308 Winchester. All that article is talking about is chamber tolerance and military rifles have looser chambers because they they dont want jam ups on automatic rifles.

Also, more recently the max pressure of ammuntion loaded to military specs has a slightly higher pressure. Other than that the .308 Win is just the civilian re-name for the 7.62x51 Nato.

Hence the 7.62 will potentially need resising, and the pressure is usually about 20% more in .308! :good::lol:

...and of course the primer, is RG Boxer or Berdan, I don't know off the top of my head?

RG is berdan primed, however the new Ruag ammo from the NRA is boxer primed.

Surely the 7.62 would only need full resizing if fired in a military rifle? I am sure that the chamber on my RPA won't be slack or at least I would like to think not.

Do either of you guys (Vince Green or Dekers) shoot the imperial meeting? I am thinking of doing my first one this year but don't reall understand the entry form.

Cheers

MC

RG is berdan primed, however the new Ruag ammo from the NRA is boxer primed.

Surely the 7.62 would only need full resizing if fired in a military rifle? I am sure that the chamber on my RPA won't be slack or at least I would like to think not.

Do either of you guys (Vince Green or Dekers) shoot the imperial meeting? I am thinking of doing my first one this year but don't reall understand the entry form.

Cheers

MC

The RG I can get will be Military rifle fired! If it's Berdan I guess it's a non starter anyway! :good:

I don't do any of the NRA shoots/meetings these days, just a few club shoots/competitions, my "serious" competition days are over, just target shoot for a bit of fun and zeroing really these days!

Best of luck if you want to get involved in the Imperial, your first is always the most nerve racking, not looked at the entry form for years, I suspect I have one lying about somewhere as the NRA send me all the stuff.

Do you have a current Shooter Certification Card?...... I've no real idea these days but I suspect you will need this before they will let you enter anyway!

ATB!!

Edited by Dekers

Yes I have a certification card, I just don't understand all the sweeps and pools.

I am going to enter the first block, not really worried about the Grand Aggregate etc. Perhaps I will have to ring the NRA.

Cheers

Martin

Yes I have a certification card, I just don't understand all the sweeps and pools.

I am going to enter the first block, not really worried about the Grand Aggregate etc. Perhaps I will have to ring the NRA.

Cheers

Martin

Well, I'm with you on that then, I'd get lost too I suspect these days!

I don't shoot the Imperial but I will be there for some of it and could end up helping out with the marking so if you let me know when you are shooting (nudge nudge).

I'll be down there tomorrow but as I run my own business time spent not working is time not earning so my shooting time is precious and as I don't shoot well enough to be competitive its not worth it. My target rifle wore its barrel out a couple of years back and I gave it to my mate in Wales and haven't shot TR since. These days I just play with my .303.

On the subject of full length resizing. Any case fired in a rifle other than your own will potentially need to be full length resized before you can use it. All chambers vary to some degree or another, even in rifles of the same make and the case gets fire formed to the dimensions of the chamber it is fired in. Always check first, you may just be lucky and get away with it but the chances are you won't. Military rifles, as said before are usually looser because their needs are for ease of operation and they don't care about tight tolerances.

Just a bit more about the 7.62 round. it was developed in the 1950s by the Americans who simply shortened by about 1/2" their existing .30-06 round because with the more modern powders available by then they didn't need so much volume in the case.

The shhoter certification card is an interesting point and one I hadn't thought about. I wonder how they get on with all the foreign visitors.

Edited by Vince Green

I don't shoot the Imperial but I will be there for some of it and could end up helping out with the marking so if you let me know when you are shooting (nudge nudge).

I'll be down there tomorrow but as I run my own business time spent not working is time not earning so my shooting time is precious and as I don't shoot well enough to be competitive its not worth it. My target rifle wore its barrel out a couple of years back and I gave it to my mate in Wales and haven't shot TR since. These days I just play with my .303.

On the subject of full length resizing. Any case fired in a rifle other than your own will potentially need to be full length resized before you can use it. All chambers vary to some degree or another, even in rifles of the same make and the case gets fire formed to the dimensions of the chamber it is fired in. Always check first, you may just be lucky and get away with it but the chances are you won't. Military rifles, as said before are usually looser because their needs are for ease of operation and they don't care about tight tolerances.

Just a bit more about the 7.62 round. it was developed in the 1950s by the Americans who simply shortened by about 1/2" their existing .30-06 round because with the more modern powders available by then they didn't need so much volume in the case.

The shhoter certification card is an interesting point and one I hadn't thought about. I wonder how they get on with all the foreign visitors.

Do you reload, if not ...I have about 200-300, (not sure exactly, they are in my locker at the L&M) factory .303, surplus to my requirements, any interest ?? I'll be over Worplesdon tomorrow and next specifically at Bisley 2.5.10 :hmm:

I do reload but not at the moment. since I discovered PPU .303 ammunition I have just tailed off to the point where now it doesn't really happen. Bought PPU ammo is about the same cost as reloads and I can't better the PPU so there is no incentive. I have loads of cases in my garage which are just sitting there waiting. Once I have used up my present tin of powder I think that will be it unless there is a shortage or a price hike. But thanks for the offer.

I do reload but not at the moment. since I discovered PPU .303 ammunition I have just tailed off to the point where now it doesn't really happen. Bought PPU ammo is about the same cost as reloads and I can't better the PPU so there is no incentive. I have loads of cases in my garage which are just sitting there waiting. Once I have used up my present tin of powder I think that will be it unless there is a shortage or a price hike. But thanks for the offer.

:hmm: :blink: