Motorhome advice required

harrycatcat1

I am thinking of buying a motor-home and trying to decide which engine would be the best to look for.

Has anyone got one and what are your experiences.

I have seen some petrol 2000cc and they claim to get 35 to the gallon, some have 2000cc diesel engines and some 2500cc diesel engines.

I have one in mind that has a 2500cc diesel in a LDV which would probably be the landrover/discovery engine which is not that good on fuel in a 4x4 so what would it be like in a motor-home?

Has anyone any advice or should I just bite the bullet as they don't seem to get a lot of use throughout the year anyway.

PS my Mrs has got the interior layout etc in hand and I was contracted to investigate the running bit.

PPS Its not going to be brand new far from it I have a budget up to 10k.

PPPS Are there any to avoid like the plague.

Thanks in advance.

My mum and dad are in to them have been for years and worked there way up the ladder, from what i have heard stay away from all petrols and you would best off going down the v dub t4 route for around that sort of money or a coach built fiat / peugeot,

Hope this helps. :look:

Edited by racingfrank7

We looked at a few 'Max and Paddy waggons' (according to Mrs PH) to use on our annual Surfing Pilgrimage.

We didnt go anywhere near any petrols to be honest, but they were cheaper so i suppose it depends on what mileage you intend on doing.

The diesels tend to be better if you want to put a small car on the back to use as a run around when you get to where you are staying (as you will soon get bored with using the push bikes or packing everything up when you want to pop to tesco!!) as you dont have to keep going up and down the box on hills.

We looked at a few purpose built things and a few conversions (i think they were Iveco Long vans with basically a caravan interior put in) we weighed up the options VS caravans and were surprised at some of the motorhomes we looked at didnt have a toilet or shower (not to much of a problem if you are on a site but could be if you decide to utilise a layby on a tour)

In the end we bought a new car and a surfboard holder for the roof and a Hotel Guide!!!

My mum and dad are in to them have been for years and worked there way up the ladder, from what i have heard stay away from all petrols and you would best off going down the v dub t4 route for around that sort of money or a coach built fiat / peugeot,

Hope this helps. :good:

MMMMMM sacked the LDV idea and going to look at a VW thanks for the wake up call. :good:

post-16219-1272831351.jpg

I can never quite understand the attraction of a motor home or caravan.

Both cost loads of money and sit around for probably 10 - 11 months of the year doing nothing apart from rusting [look at the cills on the photo of the previous post!]. They block up the drive to your house or sit in the street taking up parking space and look ugly as sin.

The money saved on buying the thing and depreciation could pay for loads and loads of holidays in nice hotels B& Bs etc.

If you have a motor home or caravan, it is probably illegal to park it in some nice place when you do go on holiday so you end up in a campsite or caravan park with hundreds of others all next door to each other - not much fun surely?

Then you fill up your motorhome or caravan with food etc from the supermarket and then that means

[a] you have to cook it in some silly little stove [when you have a nice kitchen at home] and wash up in some silly little sink or else cart it to some sort of ablutions block. What sort of holiday is that?

you dont support the local economy by trying out local pubs, restaurants etc

[c] you have a chemical loo which needs to be pumped out - or else you lose all your dignity and use the stinking campsite conveniences

[d] the shower is tiny and the water tepid [think of that nice bathroom you have at home]

[e] if the weather is bad and you cannot go out, you will literally be climbing up the walls of a glorified Transit van

[f] you meet no-one except other "happy campers"

[g] it is a nightmare to park in any town or village

[h] it wont fit under the 6 foot height barrier of any car park which is intended to keep commercial vehicles out

you will get nothing but contempt from all the other motorists in cars who get stuck behind you - kind of selfish isnt it and I am sure YOU are not like that ?

[j] you have no privacy

If you lived in the big wide open spaces of the USA with the freeways I could perhaps understand and if you had something spacious and cool like a Winnebago which could accommodate a couple of motor bikes or a car to tour with, maybe I could understand that as well.

Please either explain the attractions - someone - or else redeploy the money saved into taking your car with you on holiday, finding a B&B or a hotel or else even a self-catering cottage and have some real fun.

I am so puzzled! I spent one night in a caravan in north Wales in 1971 - more than enough for a lifetime - I still remember it with horror. :good::good:

Edited by woodcock11

Woodcock I will answer your questions as truthfully as I can in the order that they appear :-

Your opinion and I cant change that.

Both cost loads of money and sit around for probably 10 - 11 months of the year doing nothing apart from rusting [look at the cills on the photo of the previous post!]. They block up the drive to your house or sit in the street taking up parking space and look ugly as sin.

I agree they are not as good looking as a thatched cottage and they do cost a fair bit but they do retain money. I would intend to use it for more than a few trips also my daughter, partner and granddaughter would borrow it and also my son and partner would use it when not working.

The money saved on buying the thing and depreciation could pay for loads and loads of holidays in nice hotels B& Bs etc.

I agree and I have been in hotels where you get woke with idiots slamming doors when they come back to their rooms at 1.30am, hard beds and you wake up with a broken back, I once stayed in a 5* Hotel in Marbella and was kept awake with the couple next door enjoying each others bodies and telling the world about it, if you know what I mean.

If you have a motor home or caravan, it is probably illegal to park it in some nice place when you do go on holiday so you end up in a campsite or caravan park with hundreds of others all next door to each other - not much fun surely?

Well I would hope to find a secluded 5 van site somewhere as I have got to dislike crowds.

Then you fill up your motorhome or caravan with food etc from the supermarket and then that means

[a] you have to cook it in some silly little stove [when you have a nice kitchen at home] and wash up in some silly little sink or else cart it to some sort of ablutions block. What sort of holiday is that?

Why do you have to do that I can still use the same cafés, pubs and restaurants as anyone else?

you don't support the local economy by trying out local pubs, restaurants etc

see above

[c] you have a chemical loo which needs to be pumped out - or else you lose all your dignity and use the stinking campsite conveniences

They don't need to be pumped out nowadays they are a cassette that just pulls out.

[d] the shower is tiny and the water tepid [think of that nice bathroom you have at home]

Yes I agree with this point.

[e] if the weather is bad and you cannot go out, you will literally be climbing up the walls of a glorified Transit van

Thats when I would stay at home but if you book a hotel you are committed to sit in the hotel or area till it clears or lose your money.

f] you meet no-one except other "happy campers"

I don't understand this bit.

I disagree.

[h] it wont fit under the 6 foot height barrier of any car park which is intended to keep commercial vehicles out

That is true.

you will get nothing but contempt from all the other motorists in cars who get stuck behind you - kind of selfish isnt it and I am sure YOU are not like that ?

Motorhomes are not normally slow, are they?

[j] you have no privacy

Most motorhomes have curtains nowadays. :hmm:

If you lived in the big wide open spaces of the USA with the freeways I could perhaps understand and if you had something spacious and cool like a Winnebago which could accommodate a couple of motor bikes or a car to tour with, maybe I could understand that as well.

Please either explain the attractions - someone - or else redeploy the money saved into taking your car with you on holiday, finding a B&B or a hotel or else even a self-catering cottage and have some real fun.

I can go when and where I want to go with my dog not trying to book a hotel B+B or cottage at the last minute. This type of holiday is as well as not instead, I have a cottage booked in Wales in June and 2 weeks in Mexico next year.

I am so puzzled! I spent one night in a caravan in north Wales in 1971 - more than enough for a lifetime - I still remember it with horror.

Sorry I cant change that. :angry::good::hmm:

There is no way you will get 35 mpg from a motorhome mate more like 15 - 18 mpg is being realistic

if you think of a long wheelbase transit van, fill it full of chipboard and install a water tank, cooker etc plus all other bits and peices there is alot of weight in that

at best you will be pushed to even get 20mpg

Edited by jonevo

Woodcock I will answer your questions as truthfully as I can in the order that they appear :-

Your opinion and I cant change that.

I agree they are not as good looking as a thatched cottage and they do cost a fair bit but they do retain money. I would intend to use it for more than a few trips also my daughter, partner and granddaughter would borrow it and also my son and partner would use it when not working.

I agree and I have been in hotels where you get woke with idiots slamming doors when they come back to their rooms at 1.30am, hard beds and you wake up with a broken back, I once stayed in a 5* Hotel in Marbella and was kept awake with the couple next door enjoying each others bodies and telling the world about it, if you know what I mean.

Well I would hope to find a secluded 5 van site somewhere as I have got to dislike crowds.

Why do you have to do that I can still use the same cafés, pubs and restaurants as anyone else?

you don't support the local economy by trying out local pubs, restaurants etc

see above

They don't need to be pumped out nowadays they are a cassette that just pulls out.

Yes I agree with this point.

Thats when I would stay at home but if you book a hotel you are committed to sit in the hotel or area till it clears or lose your money.

f] you meet no-one except other "happy campers"

I don't understand this bit.

I disagree.

That is true.

Motorhomes are not normally slow, are they?

[j] you have no privacy

Most motorhomes have curtains nowadays. :hmm:

I can go when and where I want to go with my dog not trying to book a hotel B+B or cottage at the last minute. This type of holiday is as well as not instead, I have a cottage booked in Wales in June and 2 weeks in Mexico next year.

I am so puzzled! I spent one night in a caravan in north Wales in 1971 - more than enough for a lifetime - I still remember it with horror.

Sorry I cant change that. :angry::good::hmm:

Thanks for taking the trouble to reply - I still cant see the attraction but it would be very boring if we were all exactly the same.

It seems you have had some bad experiences with hotels. I guess we take a lot of time in planning, use the Michelin Red Guide, check Tripadvisor - a useful tool - and seek advice generally and from the many hotels that we have stayed in both in the UK, Ireland and the rest of the world, I honestly cannot think of any disappointment anywhere. Oh yes,and staying with friends is pretty good too, particularly when heading via Scotland & England to get a car ferry to the Continent.

The loo cassette sounds interesting - I think I will stick with pulling the chain or pushing the handle thank you very much.

Good luck with your search for a multi-user GTI camper van!

I suppose going into the virtues of the four of us (3 year old, 5 year old, 30 something wife and ancient me) staying in an eight-man tent (2 'big' bedrooms and a living area that has a groundsheet built in) would be a waste of time here. :angry:

We have been doing it since I first got my wife pregnant (last minute holiday in my then 'cosy' 2 man tent) (camping you pervs). Both kids go ape when ever we mention the tents (in a good way).

I once spent 10 days (1700 miles) in a 1000cc Bedford Rascal 'camper'. I'd draw the line at doing that again, but a full sized one would be cool.

On the advice front, I've heard that either VW or Transit powered 'homes are good as the spare parts they will innevitably need are easy to find and cheap (and mechanics will know them inside-out).

I suppose going into the virtues of the four of us (3 year old, 5 year old, 30 something wife and ancient me) staying in an eight-man tent (2 'big' bedrooms and a living area that has a groundsheet built in) would be a waste of time here. :angry:

We have been doing it since I first got my wife pregnant (last minute holiday in my then 'cosy' 2 man tent) (camping you pervs). Both kids go ape when ever we mention the tents (in a good way).

I once spent 10 days (1700 miles) in a 1000cc Bedford Rascal 'camper'. I'd draw the line at doing that again, but a full sized one would be cool.

On the advice front, I've heard that either VW or Transit powered 'homes are good as the spare parts they will innevitably need are easy to find and cheap (and mechanics will know them inside-out).

Great heavens Mr Mule

Do the four of you plus the eight man tent [with groundsheet - of course] all fit onto that rather smart motorcycle that you have pictured against your name - that would be very special and perhaps you could post a photo for us all to admire.

Thank you

Thanks for taking the trouble to reply - I still cant see the attraction but it would be very boring if we were all exactly the same.

It seems you have had some bad experiences with hotels. I guess we take a lot of time in planning, use the Michelin Red Guide, check Tripadvisor - a useful tool - and seek advice generally and from the many hotels that we have stayed in both in the UK, Ireland and the rest of the world, I honestly cannot think of any disappointment anywhere. Oh yes,and staying with friends is pretty good too, particularly when heading via Scotland & England to get a car ferry to the Continent.

The loo cassette sounds interesting - I think I will stick with pulling the chain or pushing the handle thank you very much.

Good luck with your search for a multi-user GTI camper van!

Cheers mate, you are right it would be boring if we were all the same.

regards

Hcc

Great heavens Mr Mule

Do the four of you plus the eight man tent [with groundsheet - of course] all fit onto that rather smart motorcycle that you have pictured against your name - that would be very special and perhaps you could post a photo for us all to admire.

Thank you

It will have Inspector Gadget panniers (spelling) he can also get three LPG canisters in as well. :angry:

Great heavens Mr Mule

Thank you

I'm the sort of twit that will arrange that sort of picture. You should see the pictures of a recent episode of my 3 year old breaking his potty and me getting a helmet for him to 'use'. The little chap actually USED it!!!!!

I'd post the pictures, but they'd just get me banned.

I recommend a Ford Galaxy with the two outer seats of the middle row fitted only a portable fridge jammed between them and behind them, the tent, burners, gas, beds, kitchen table, wind breaks, seats, cutlery, crockery, I'm getting bored now, sleeping bags, zzz, self infalating ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzz

I'm the sort of twit that will arrange that sort of picture. You should see the pictures of a recent episode of my 3 year old breaking his potty and me getting a helmet for him to 'use'. The little chap actually USED it!!!!!

I'd post the pictures, but they'd just get me banned.

I recommend a Ford Galaxy with the two outer seats of the middle row fitted only a portable fridge jammed between them and behind them, the tent, burners, gas, beds, kitchen table, wind breaks, seats, cutlery, crockery, I'm getting bored now, sleeping bags, zzz, self infalating ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzz

Oh I laughed and laughed! :good:

Peelid1.jpg

Peelid2.jpg

Beg pardon for the highjack :angry:

It will have Inspector Gadget panniers (spelling) he can also get three LPG canisters in as well. :angry:

GREAT GALLOPING CRUMPETS

Mr Catcat [Mr Kitkat maybe, sounds more kind of snappy?] you & Mr Mule are very very smart. I am for the Winnebago dealership tomorrow - if Mrs Woodcock approves of the layout then OPEN ROAD - here we come! Living in the wild under the stars, hunter gatherers all, what have I been missing....

However, I think that Master Mule age 3] needs to be a tiny bit more house trained before being let loose in that eight man tent, especially as it has a GROUNDSHEET - presumably waterproof - oh dear - I am sure Madam Mule would be very unhappy about that.

ps please DONT take a photo of you, your family, 8 man tent [with groundsheet] plus Inspector Gadget panniers plus three yes three LPG containers [plus whatever they feed - cookers, fridge, ranges, lighting etc etc] all on your motorbike - there has been one accident already with the helmet and we do not want any more.....

Take care

LDV used the 2.5litre transit engine and gearbox in the last years... Hymer are i think based on LDV chassis I see the appeal of motorhomes but some of the driving does take the wii wii also they do have a max load capacity (which isnt very much once you have them kitted out i recon most are over loaded especially those with long over hangs and then bikes etc hanging even further out.

I suppose going into the virtues of the four of us (3 year old, 5 year old, 30 something wife and ancient me) staying in an eight-man tent (2 'big' bedrooms and a living area that has a groundsheet built in) would be a waste of time here. :D

;) Can't beat a bit of camping, I've got a 6 man (2 bedrooms and large central living area) for the 2 of us, perfect and what's not to like about cooking over a campfire or BBQ.

Bring on the summer :)

;) Can't beat a bit of camping, I've got a 6 man (2 bedrooms and large central living area) for the 2 of us, perfect and what's not to like about cooking over a campfire or BBQ.

Bring on the summer :)

same here!

We have an Outwell Montana 6 tent which is HUGE, got an electric hookup, electric fridge, heating, lighting, laptop+tv card if it rains, gas BBQ and a pair of comfy chairs. Oh, and the mutt of course!

Got a little trailer that I have reboarded this week and now all the camping stuff is in it so all we have to do Friday afternoon is hitch up, chuck the dog and suitcase in the disco and go off to wherever!

:D

We go skiing in winter and scuba diving in summer as "main" holidays but make sure we have at least a full week camping somewhere and if I change jobs (interview tomorrow) we're hoping to get away a lot more at the weekends too.

:hmm:

as for motorhomes......no idea, sorry!

i have just been gieven a 6 birth caravan 19 foot long with ample amounts of space for me and my mrs and the little lad cant wait to go away for the weekends now my mrs cant moan when i wanna go fishing for a couple of nights and she wants to come now she can sit in the caravan with the tv till her hearts content :good: the oven in the caravan is bigger than the one in my house !

I have been impressed by the folks that go away in a tent.

It had not crossed my mind but I have just been down to B&Q and they have a 4 man tent, double air bed, 2xsingle airbeds, 4 sleeping bags all for £99 thats a bargain surely.

What else would you need equipment wise?

Chairs etc?

Edited by harrycatcat1

£99 is cheap for all that, but it will be "cheap"

Fine for occasional use, but wouldn't want to put it to the test in harsher conditions.

Take a picnic rug for in the porch area - makes it easy to keep clean, some torches and a lantern, cool box, bbq and come chairs which can be had from Tesco for £15, or we have just bought a picnic table/chairs that folds in to a briefcase for £20. Its not mighty stable, but fine for lightweight use/ preparing food etc!