puppy nipping

darren m

right i,ve had a few dogs over the years , but the little pup i have now is the most mouthy.

she,ll greet you with her mouth , comes bounding over puppy style and starts to mouth my hands or slevees etc , which i know is normal play , hey shes a pup ;) i accept that .

Anyway the problem is her teeth are sharp and yep it does hurt , so i,ve got to stop her from doing it but i,m also trying to build a bond with her at the same time , so dont want to really push her away ....

whats the solution :)

right i,ve had a few dogs over the years , but the little pup i have now is the most mouthy.

she,ll greet you with her mouth , comes bounding over puppy style and starts to mouth my hands or slevees etc , which i know is normal play , hey shes a pup ;) i accept that .

Anyway the problem is her teeth are sharp and yep it does hurt , so i,ve got to stop her from doing it but i,m also trying to build a bond with her at the same time , so dont want to really push her away ....

whats the solution :)

Be serious. She's a puppy. All puppies will mouth hands, feet, clothes. If you start to stop her from doing these basic things, you could potentially make her fearful of picking things up in later life.

Yes it hurts. I have had plenty of cuts from my dog when he was a puppy, but he's good as gold. Their teeth are sharp and you're going to haver to get used to it.

She will grow out if it.

Our puppy chewed at any opportunity she could. We yelped really loudly and walked off and ignored her - now she takes a tennis ball without even touching any part of your hand (from any angle) - she is crossed with collie. Personnally I learnt that a light tap did nothing for obiedience as she would not come near me. Dog talking and praise worked better by far.

Be serious. She's a puppy. All puppies will mouth hands, feet, clothes. If you start to stop her from doing these basic things, you could potentially make her fearful of picking things up in later life.

Yes it hurts. I have had plenty of cuts from my dog when he was a puppy, but he's good as gold. Their teeth are sharp and you're going to haver to get used to it.

She will grow out if it.

common sense , i know that , currently i,m trying to stop her from doing it to my other dogs as well ( ears , neck etc ) , who for some strange reason wont put her in her place .

i tap her nose and shout at her , clamp her mouth shut and she backs off , then she wont come near me until shes forgotten all about the telling off.

my hands and forearm are shredded along with my G-shock and a couple of shirt sleeves ;)

i think it may be more than just play as she does get a bit aggressive when in attack mode and started latching on to my youngests arm and ankles when ever she trys to make a fuss of her.

was just wondering if there was a pro tip apart from a agressive respnse

If he is being aggressive about it then IMO he is trying to get his place in the pack, and you need to snap him out of it quick and make him realise he is at the bottom. Try to stop your daughter making a fuss of him until it is sorted, as you wouldn't want him to get a bit stronger and hurt her.

my 11 month old lab nipped me the other day - I was sat on the floor with her rubbing her tummy and she leant up and nipped me. she did it twice on my side within about 5 minutes. First time I thought it was a mistake, second time I shouted NO at her and the third time (which left a mark on my right upper arm) I slapped her so hard in the mouth that she didn't come out of her bed until the next morning. I think she was trying to get up on me by nipping me, so she got a slap. And being put back in her place made her sulk.

Generally though, I follow a telling off with a stroke/pat/tummy rub so she is happy again, it seems to work for us.

Puppies do it to each other to play, if one puppy does it too hard then the other puppies will stop playing with it because it hurts. When the pup does it Ignore it for a while, try also whining like a pup did, I did this as funny as it sounds, worked amazingly well and also now the lab is sooo gentle when taking things with her mouth :good: When someone gives her the odd treat she is complimented on how gentle she is when she takes it ???

Puppies do it to each other to play, if one puppy does it too hard then the other puppies will stop playing with it because it hurts. When the pup does it Ignore it for a while, try also whining like a pup did, I did this as funny as it sounds, worked amazingly well and also now the lab is sooo gentle when taking things with her mouth :good: When someone gives her the odd treat she is complimented on how gentle she is when she takes it ???

This does work, maybe put her in isolation next time. They dont like getting ignored.

This does work, maybe put her in isolation next time. They dont like getting ignored.

Indeed, works a treat. With the pup Id normally be lying on the living room floor or something n thn wen it nips lie flat making the whining noise whilst ignoring it. The pup would soon start licking you saying sorry :) quite funny really. If the pup did it again I would do it again, If the pup did it again I would pup her in her crate for about 5 minutes :good: Worked a treat! I know some dogs that mouth terribly at about 5-7 months, Mine never did it from the age of about 3 months ???

she,ll greet you with her mouth , comes bounding over puppy style and starts to mouth my hands or slevees etc , which i know is normal play , hey shes a pup :good: i accept that .

whats the solution ???

Bite it back !!

No doubt some people will dissagree with this method but if you want a result try it.

lads -- you,ve given me some good ideas

i,ll use the cage and the whining , sure shes only playing but shes fetched blood a few times on me and on my older springer.

i might just isolate them from each other from now on , they are a pair of g*ts together , when i bought this pup it didnt occur to me that having a second springer in the house would turn my fairly well trained 18 month springer bitch into a nutcase and make things twice as hard <_<

cheers

We had this with ours and to be honest, shouting NO and a 3 finger slap in the chops stopped it after a week or so.

Right or wrong, it worked for us. <_<

Same here, our pup was terrible for playful biting when we had her, a few 2 or 3 finger smacks on her snout soon made her think twice.