Crowning

Renfield

I watched a vid on another part of the forum on pigeon crowning, which made it look pretty easy. Haven't had a chance yet to try it out. The thing is, after watching another youtube vid on prepping a pheasant, where the method is to stand on the wings and pull on the feet, which leaves you with a clean breast of meat attached to the wings, which you snip off afterward, I was wondering if it'd work on pigeons. Just curious to know if anybody's tried it.

I reckon there's a strong chance it wouldn't work, because the two birds are very different from each other - the pheasant is much heavier boned and spends most of its time on its legs, which obviously makes it tougher and more sinewy. I could imagine a pigeon just falling apart.

I watched a vid on another part of the forum on pigeon crowning, which made it look pretty easy. Haven't had a chance yet to try it out. The thing is, after watching another youtube vid on prepping a pheasant, where the method is to stand on the wings and pull on the feet, which leaves you with a clean breast of meat attached to the wings, which you snip off afterward, I was wondering if it'd work on pigeons. Just curious to know if anybody's tried it.

I reckon there's a strong chance it wouldn't work, because the two birds are very different from each other - the pheasant is much heavier boned and spends most of its time on its legs, which obviously makes it tougher and more sinewy. I could imagine a pigeon just falling apart.

tryed this with both pheasants and pigeons, found it worked best with fresh cock birds for pheasants, the hens or birds that had been hung were just too soft n ended up a mess ! same with pigeon, too soft, tho mite work better with bird that had just been shot, rather than being left to cool.

There's literally noreason to pluck a pigeon and cook the whole thing. The main area of meat is on the crown. As I said above, 20 seconds is what you can average per pigeon, with practice. However, it'll take about 2 minutes to pluck and clean a pigeon, to get the tiniest amount of extra meat.

There's literally noreason to pluck a pigeon and cook the whole thing. The main area of meat is on the crown. As I said above, 20 seconds is what you can average per pigeon, with practice. However, it'll take about 2 minutes to pluck and clean a pigeon, to get the tiniest amount of extra meat.

I have crowned pigeons but wonder if it wouldnt' be quicker to rip the skin off the breasts then

take the meat straight off?

Haven't tried it yet (last time I was out there were 0 birds about).

Nial.

The standing on the wings thing worked for a pheasant I shot at Christmas very well, I tried with a woodie last week and all it did was tear the guts out. Both were shot an hour before.

Is there a decent video of fast crowning? I can tear the skin and cut out the breasts quicker and cleaner than the youtube link above, it looked pretty messy too.

A bloke at work said he used to be able to turn a pigeon inside out in two seconds but snapping the wings and twisting somehow (i never did see this so dont know how). I always just pluck the breast and cut the breast meat off. Can anyone explain a better method?

Dan

I have crowned pigeons but wonder if it wouldnt' be quicker to rip the skin off the breasts then

take the meat straight off?

Haven't tried it yet (last time I was out there were 0 birds about).

Nial.

Yes, that is a quick way to do it, but the bone really is needed in some cooking, as it keeps the meat moist and tender.