new permision help please

Thanks alot,why not with a air rifle? is it illegal? the guy that owns the watercress bed said we are only to use air rifles and that he wants the ducks shot?

I can't see where the document mentions air rifle, can you please be more specific.

webber

Nickbeardo said "hope your not shooting the ducks with a airrifle" but im sure its legal as have read storys about it on the net? surely a pellet placed in the ducks head would be sufficent enough? i will be shooting them at fairly close range(under 30yards).

Thanks luke

PS and yes shotguns are not allowed there as the residents surrounding the watercress beds complain.

Thanks alot,why not with a air rifle? is it illegal? the guy that owns the watercress bed said we are only to use air rifles and that he wants the ducks shot?

Ducks are hardy birds and I do not condone the shooting of them with an airgun. If the landowner has a problem with ducks then he'll allow a shotgun on the land.

If you really really really really have to shoot them with an airgun, it has to be in the head.

Ducks are hardy birds and I do not condone the shooting of them with an airgun. If the landowner has a problem with ducks then he'll allow a shotgun on the land.

If you really really really really have to shoot them with an airgun, it has to be in the head.

EVERYTHING i shoot with a air rifle is ALWAYS in the head,squirrels,rabbits,pigeons,magpies everything,i always go for a headshot as im a firm believer in one shot kills and although i like my shooting i have great respect for wildlife.

Thanks luke

taken from the BASC airgun codes of practise...

Principal quarry for air rifles:

BIRDS: (covered by the open general licences) crows, rooks, jackdaws, magpies, jays, woodpigeon, collared doves, feral pigeons.

MAMMALS: brown rats, grey squirrels, stoats, mink and rabbits

Live quarry shooting

Many people shoot live quarry, either on their own land or where they have permission. The species which you can shoot are limited by the law and by the effective power of an air rifle.

All birds are protected, and although there are seasons when you can legally shoot game, and some wildfowl, they are not suitable quarry for air rifles. However, as long as you are complying with firearms law, you can shoot certain pest bird species. These are covered by open general licences which, in simple terms, mean you can shoot the birds listed, provided you have the landowner’s permission and provided you are doing it for one of the reasons allowed by the licence.

These reasons include:

* to protect crops

* to protect game and wildlife

* to protect public health or safety

taken from the BASC airgun codes of practise...

Principal quarry for air rifles:

BIRDS: (covered by the open general licences) crows, rooks, jackdaws, magpies, jays, woodpigeon, collared doves, feral pigeons.

MAMMALS: brown rats, grey squirrels, stoats, mink and rabbits

Live quarry shooting

Many people shoot live quarry, either on their own land or where they have permission. The species which you can shoot are limited by the law and by the effective power of an air rifle.

All birds are protected, and although there are seasons when you can legally shoot game, and some wildfowl, they are not suitable quarry for air rifles. However, as long as you are complying with firearms law, you can shoot certain pest bird species. These are covered by open general licences which, in simple terms, mean you can shoot the birds listed, provided you have the landowner’s permission and provided you are doing it for one of the reasons allowed by the licence.

These reasons include:

* to protect crops

* to protect game and wildlife

* to protect public health or safety

I respect what this says but i am SURE that it is leagal,i asked my mate who has just passed out from sparsholt collage and he said it IS leagal to shoot ducks with a air rifle,it may not be looked upon as suitable quary but it is allowed.

I would not harm any animal or break any laws so will check into this further but a pellet to the head of a duck at under 30yards would defo be enough to dispatch it humanly and instantly and infact would be just as effecteve as a shotgun.

I have shot and seen others shoot pigeons with a shotgun and it has not taken them out instantly with said pigeon then having to have its neck pulled to finish the job.

Like i said i will look into this further and have untill september before i can shoot them anyway so i will make sure im sure before i do,air guns are very accurate especialy at under 30yards so a hit to the brain would certainly dispatch it quickly and humanly.

Thanks luke

Right i think ducks are off the list,ive resurched a bit more and its not appropriate to shoot them with a air rifle so i will not.

Still plenty of pigeons and squirrels etc to go at,thanks for all your help and thanks nickbeardo.

All the best

luke

Its an odd one and usually I wouldn't condone it but we have a watercress beds at the end of the road and I can half understand that they do need to keep the ducks off as they are a bit like pigeons if you are growing watercress. Also where these are shotguns wouldn't be that easy to use so its entirely possible that airguns are the most appropriate means of control. Obviously humane despatch is the name of the game so the closer the better

:good: I didnt know any better as a youngster and shot many many mallards, coots and Morhens, during lake management....they were all with 12ftlb springer and all died efficiently from headshots at Similar ranges. If under the guise of crop protection i cant see why not? and obviously dont waste them! Unless it falls foul of the lead vs steel?

TBH a .22lr moderated would be super efficient and so would an fac rated airgun ;)

Edited by Evil Elvis

If they are close and your going to do alot of this type of pest control then maybe its worth you or the owner investing in the correct equipment. Get yourself a shotgun license if you have not already got one and invest in either a moderated 410 shotgun if the targets are,'sitting ducks'. Maybe a silenced 12gauge and subsonic cartridges would be even better to extend the range. If the ducks are doing alot of damage then the owner may pay for your ammo, which raises another question, can you get subsonic steel shot cartridges.