shiney barrels

bakerboy

A cure for this problem that is cheap and effective - get your mum or nan to knit a 3 inch by the length of you barrel strip, stitched together to form a tube - slide over barrels, secure with elastic bands - problem solved!

Why not just buy a gun sock in camo???

not that I see shiney barrels as a problem- by the time they spot mine they are usual 2 seconds away from death :):rolleyes:

Les :blush:

I think shiny barrels are a bit like see through Stealth nets.

The shooter can't see the problem and ignores it.

Of course , anybody (or anything) else looking from a distance can see the problem.

I counter the shiny barrels problem by never poking my gun outside of the shelter of the hide (ex MoD), unless I am taking a shot. :)

I think shiny barrels are a bit like see through Stealth nets.

The shooter can't see the problem and ignores it.

Of course , anybody (or anything) else looking from a distance can see the problem.

I counter the shiny barrels problem by never poking my gun outside of the shelter of the hide (ex MoD), unless I am taking a shot. :)

I agree about not moving the gun. Then again any movement is likely to be seen by incoming pigeons, shiny or not. As for the Stealth Net I have to disagree. Put the net against a solid background and it is as good as any ex-military camo' net I have used in the last thirty years. The problem is when there is light coming from the back and there is no solid background. Some ex-army type nets sold suffer the same problem dependent on their construction. However, if you remain still until the right moment it rarely matters as even the lightest net will break up your outline sufficiently.

I can't say i've ever had a problem with a pigeon spotting shiny gun barrels, i think this is very much a myth.

Sorry motty but you're wrong there mate. I beat on three large estates and on certain drives, if the sun is shinning you would be amazed at how much barrels glint. It made me buy a neoprene cover for my barrel when I'm pigeon shooting. Like cranfield said - you don't notice it because you are concentrating on the birds

I can't say i've ever had a problem with a pigeon spotting shiny gun barrels, i think this is very much a myth.

Pigeons will flare away if they see any thing shinning. one way of over comig this is to use the leg off an old pair of tights, place the leg of the tights over the barrels (making sure you cut out the foot end) It is alot cheaper then buying a gun barrel sleeve.

Sundodger

Of course It's a problem.

How many time have you had a bird jink away.

If yur in camo then movement is not noticed, by that I mean not disturbing.

White face, white hands, shiney gun barrels.

If you suddenly pop up from behind a hide then It's too late for the bird anyway, some still get away though don't they.

My view is the bird / rabbit has to be in the wrong place at the wrong time to see the glint, all depends on angle s from target - you & angles & hieght of the sun.

What concerns me though is not the one you'r about to shoot, the ones at the far end of the field, the ones flying by you don't spot, those in the sitty tree your waiting for to come down.

You might have the wrong camo on but get away with it.

A reflecting gun is not a natural sight from the hedgerow.

Might not be the answer but a common what's wrong question, they don't come to the deeks, help.

Of course It's a problem.

How many time have you had a bird jink away.

If yur in camo then movement is not noticed, by that I mean not disturbing.

White face, white hands, shiney gun barrels.

If you suddenly pop up from behind a hide then It's too late for the bird anyway, some still get away though don't they.

My view is the bird / rabbit has to be in the wrong place at the wrong time to see the glint, all depends on angle s from target - you & angles & hieght of the sun.

What concerns me though is not the one you'r about to shoot, the ones at the far end of the field, the ones flying by you don't spot, those in the sitty tree your waiting for to come down.

You might have the wrong camo on but get away with it.

A reflecting gun is not a natural sight from the hedgerow.

Might not be the answer but a common what's wrong question, they don't come to the deeks, help.

Who has their gun waving all over the place anyway? If i shoot a couple of pigeons in the decoys, i wouldn't necessarilly expect any other birds in the immediate vicinity to come in too, due to two large bangs. They quite often do come in though, and my barrels are very shiny indeed. My gun is always hidden behind the hide until i am ready to shoot, anyway - therefore i fail to see why anyone would think of using gun socks etc. I very rarely get any birds jinking away from me.

• 3 weeks later...
Who has their gun waving all over the place anyway? If i shoot a couple of pigeons in the decoys, i wouldn't necessarilly expect any other birds in the immediate vicinity to come in too, due to two large bangs. They quite often do come in though, and my barrels are very shiny indeed. My gun is always hidden behind the hide until i am ready to shoot, anyway - therefore i fail to see why anyone would think of using gun socks etc. I very rarely get any birds jinking away from me.

Depends, you could be in the shadows, the angles all work out in your favour.

Not saying It's the full answer.

You don't have to wave your gun about either.

If you don't have problems yourself or not experianced them you can't advise people wo do have problems.

Being hid behind a net you won't have this problem.

Many don't use a hide, if you do use a hide you can do a cross word, drink from a ss flask & then stand up for a shot at the pigeon that's landed as it flies away.

You don't even need cammo behind a net.

Depends, you could be in the shadows, the angles all work out in your favour.

Not saying It's the full answer.

You don't have to wave your gun about either.

If you don't have problems yourself or not experianced them you can't advise people wo do have problems.

Being hid behind a net you won't have this problem.

Many don't use a hide, if you do use a hide you can do a cross word, drink from a ss flask & then stand up for a shot at the pigeon that's landed as it flies away.

You don't even need cammo behind a net.

Maybe I will try without the knitted "nora batty socks" and see what happens, it was a tip given to me some time ago that I thought would help others, having followed the discussion, it appears most do not have a problem and we can put it to bed.

Bakerboy