Quad bike query

henry d

I have a few Q`s about them.

I presume they are on a car license ?

How much is road tax insurance ?

Could I get it classed as an agricultural vehicle ?

How thirsty are they (petrol/diesel) ?

If your main ground is 8-10 miles away would it be better to ride there or tow ?

Thanks for the replies, I know I could search `tinterweb but if I ask here it is quicker :)

They are on a car license, and yes you can get it classed as ag vehicle so road tax would be free as it fits in this exemption

Light agricultural vehicle

A vehicle which:

has a weight not exceeding 1,000kg

is designed and constructed so as to seat only the driver

is designed and constructed primarily for use other than on roads

is used only for the purposes relating to agriculture, horticulture or forestry

mpg wise depends a lot on you and mainly off road won't be that high but even 25mpg off road is a fairly long way! Personally 8-10 miles each way will be better trailered as its far easier on you and a lot warmer.

The bike I have just bought is due to be registered as agricultural.

It cost £180 for fully comprehensive insurance.

I'd be towing anything over four miles personally.

In the book the bike does 37mpg :) but I am still on the first tank so will keep you updated.

James

If you have 10miles to go you will want one with a bit of poke, 40 does seem quite slow after a while, mine is Ag registered. but if it is an ag vehical I think (only think) you 'should' have training and certificates. I may be wrong there. If it is ag then you dont have to fanny around with number plate lights and things like that. oh and dont bother with diesel ones unless its the arctic cat 700 but thats a fair few conkers :)

My new bike will do around 55 but I'm far happier tootling along at 25. Most of my miles are actually with in the shoot so I like to look about as I'm passing. I think I would get fed up doing 10 miles each way. However I'm fed up just now trailering mine before the reg comes through. The trailer is too big and heavy for throwing on and off and the bike doesn't fit into my wee light weight custom quad trailer I had for my previous quad.

Ifor Williams?

Logic?

Indespension?

Any thoughts.

James

ride mine 10 miles + to my permission does 57 mph gets there just as fast as car but once there dont have to haul gear out of boot down field just head off down tracks.mine came as agri registered but to be honest you can do without the hassle if you get pulled and your farther away from home than you should be and have tyres on that are not e rated then its 3 points per corner.i road registered mine ,road tax 100 year insurance 160 fully comp mpg around 27 mpg ,as for keeping warm i added heated grips and some muffs :good::lol:

dont think that is true mate i have a mate with a yamaha 450 raptor and that flies lol

I have a lamboghini Gueardo (sp) that does over 200MPH, doesn't make it legal to do that sort of speed though does it?

Thanks,

It is not really mine you see, I have just borrowed a few pictures of it to make myself look interesting for a few minutes. Not that I feel I need to justify myself to anyone you see.

ride mine 10 miles + to my permission does 57 mph gets there just as fast as car but once there dont have to haul gear out of boot down field just head off down tracks.mine came as agri registered but to be honest you can do without the hassle if you get pulled and your farther away from home than you should be and have tyres on that are not e rated then its 3 points per corner.i road registered mine ,road tax 100 year insurance 160 fully comp mpg around 27 mpg ,as for keeping warm i added heated grips and some muffs :good::lol:

I like what you're saying. Sorry to hijack the thread. What did you have to do? Do you mean it's registered as PLG?

The bike I have is brand new so I'm hoping there's not too much....

Indicators??

Mirrors??

There is a lot of **** on the tinterweb but would be easier if you could advise..

All the best

James

hi mate sorry not been on for few days .mine is plg but came agri registered so had to add indicators .horn .mirrors,and reflectors was quite easy to sort then took it to class 4 testing statin and job done ,mot is very simple for quads.but on a new one unregistered it can be quite hard as it will need to go to vosa and be type approved ect .if you are using it within 7 miles of your address you can agri registered it which does away with some things but a agri registered quad is restricted to 20 mph and is tax is free but things were changing last time i looked about them still needing road legal tyres check out www.quadsuk the lads on there helped me no end :good:

Edited by remmy1100

Thanks for that. Been on the quads uk site but struggling to find my way about.

Where should I kook for the current laws and regulations on making a quad road legal. Or even the definitions of agr or plg. I've found the list for agr on DVLA but it's a bit vague to say the least.

Will probably end up on Agri reg which I can easily justify then see about possible change. I'm getting fed up of hitching the trailer on and off

Cheers

James

Edited by jef