Lamping from a quad

Farmers saint

Hello All

I've been racking my brains :hmm: for some time now, (well not that long). What i want is a set up for my quad where one can rid and lamp and one can shoot :yes:

I did see something a while ago in the shooting times i think. some bloke had made a platform on its own wheels, but i cannot find anything like it on the internet.

Anyone seen anything like this?

Thanks Allan...

Edited by Farmers saint

Hello All

I've been racking my brains :hmm: for some time now, (well not that long). What i want is a set up for my quad where one can rid and lamp and one can shoot :yes:

I did see something a while ago in the shooting times i think. some bloke had made a platform on its own wheels, but i cannot find anything like it on the internet.

Any seen anything like this?

Thanks Allan...

tbh, the safest way is to have the second person on the back, with the rifle over the drivers shoulder. The idea of a rifle in a trailer behind isn't good. Even if you could fabricate some sort of cage that bolts onto the back rack, that the shooter stands in, the risk of tipping over would be significant.

tbh, the safest way is to have the second person on the back, with the rifle over the drivers shoulder. The idea of a rifle in a trailer behind isn't good. Even if you could fabricate some sort of cage that bolts onto the back rack, that the shooter stands in, the risk of tipping over would be significant.

I know were you are coming from mate, But this contraption had like wheelbarrow size tires with a frame that the shooter stood up in :yes: . It looked the nuts.

i remember seeing that mate dont know if it ever went in to production i think they said the cost was going to be around £700 :yes:. My dad welded me a frame up and we dismantled a old fishing chair to bolt on to the back of my quad so the person with the rifle is sitting at head height with the driver so the shooter is shooting down and the gun is slightly forward to the rider we just put extra weight on the front when needed and dont go stupid speed or corner hard works a treat for rabbiting. :hmm:

I wouldn't want anyone directly behind me in a trailer with a loaded gun, to much chance of a cock up. The fact that there would be no suspension would make for a horrendous ride for whoever was in the trailer anyway. Much better to use a seat like edward found and make a rack somehow to enable you to rest the gun on it. Sensible driving would still be the watch word though as a quad two up and a higher centre of gravity could spell equal disaster.

• 3 weeks later...

We welded up a couple of seat frames from some flat bar, conduit and some 6mm ply for the base and sides. Then had the local auto trimmers cover them with car seat foam and vinyl . 2 hours work with the hacksaw, file, and mig welder and £20 each for the trimmers bit, plus 3 brace of oven ready pheasants at christmas. They bolt on and off the quads rear frame in less than 5 minutes.

They give back and side support to the shooter and help keep the C of G as low as possible. Which is a major concern when lamping on slopes and rough ground.

Edited by JackReady

• 2 weeks later...

i just hold gun behind my right leg so the barrel is on the edge of the footwell, works perfectly scope dosnt touch anything and the gun dosnt move and passenger sits on the side and shoots (double seats look gay and a waste of pennys) maybe give passenger a bit of carpet to sit on if we can be ***** and we shoot ofhand cos restings for noodle arms :yes:

Edited by hiho

• 3 weeks later...

On my honda 450, we clamped a rear mini seat on the rear rack, the driver lamps and two guns sit either side of the rear seat. Due to position of guns (off set out further then driver) its relatively safe and prevents one gun swinging through. No bunnies are safe!! now got a yamaha 700 rhino off road buggy with lamps and winch!! you can never have too many toys!! just remember make sure you trust the man with the gun, you only get the one chance!! Dave

Sensible driving would still be the watch word though as a quad two up and a higher centre of gravity could spell equal disaster.

This is quite timely!!!

Got a phone call last night at 11:45pm from my mate, I didn't pick it up in time and it went to voicemail. The message was "Nath, can you call me back please, it's an emergency and I need your help" First thing I think of is that mate has been caught with his pants down and has been chucked out by misses and needs somewhere to sleep for the night!

I Phone him back only to find out the he and another shooting friend have been out shooting and they have rolled the quad down a bank, the quad is upside down and as they drove to the permission they need me to help tow them out! I don't have a 4X4 so I have to go over to mates house, collect his Hilux and drive to the rescue! It transpires that they were driving close the edge of the bank and what with the long grass they didn't realise how quickly the bank fell away. As the quad starts to slid the rear passenger steps off the quad on the high side while the drive steps of the near side in an attempt to steer the bike away.....mistake!!! basically the quad drops down the bank and takes driver with it in complete darkness. Bottom line is, both driver and quad were fine, no damage whatsoever (the drop was about 10ft in trees/bushes).

It took a while to pull the quad out and about 30 minutes to get it started again but the bloody thing was fine.....Honda Foreman!! Proper scary stuff though when you consider heavy quad, steep drop and loaded rifles (held in rack)!

Yes it was poor driving but both shooters are very experienced and perhaps just got too complacent but both were very humble at 2am when we finished and obviously shook up!!

Dave.

Are you sure about centre of gravity? Surely a sidecar would bring it down as seating height could be brought down

and the whole thing would be wider.

Also we are not looking for speed.

I am actually trying to come up with a way to safely carry my lab so he can retrieve some of the rabbits.

I was out a few nights ago and my partner took him out for piddle and he ran off to find me 300m away.

He knew where I was,but it scared the **** out of my partner.

Bryan,

Not sure about side car mate, you wil need some fine welding and good steel to cope with bumps!!

I needed a bit of speed to get inbetween rabbits and warrens With the shotgun coz as soon as they hear quad or see lights they get twitchy, unless you use rifle and can keep your distance. My lurcher used to sit fine on my rear seat combo. Look on American web sites or in bush wear catalogue for quad bits, racks etc. Hope I kinda helped. Dave

Hello Dave.

I think you have helped as I was probably being a bit ambitious and very eccentric with that idea.

My shooting is fairly sedate being rifle work so speed and rapid braking are not required.

The main requirement is to have a safe platform that he can get on and off without catching his feet in tubular

steel luggage racks. When I tried him in daylight with a rubber mat on the rear rack he was quite frightened and

would not stay on there. Perhaps he is just not as nimble and sure footed as the average sheepdog or lurcher.

I intend to resolve this issue because he loves to get out with me and I don't like clambering down banks and ditches

or under blackthorns after shot rabbits.

I seem to have veered from the original post and I apologise for that. This illustrates how tricky it is to carry more

than just the driver on a quad safely.

ATB-Bryan.

Bryan,

I know what your saying mate it's a tough one.

Personally I can't get on with a rifle on a quad. The vibrations effect scope visability and if you kill the engine the lamp drains the battery. Making something out of ply ang bolting it to your rack would help and would be safe for a dog, lining it with rubber horse matting is a good idea. Rambling off topic is what us country boys do best!! So I appologise too. Dave

Hello Dave.

I think you have helped as I was probably being a bit ambitious and very eccentric with that idea.

My shooting is fairly sedate being rifle work so speed and rapid braking are not required.

The main requirement is to have a safe platform that he can get on and off without catching his feet in tubular

steel luggage racks. When I tried him in daylight with a rubber mat on the rear rack he was quite frightened and

would not stay on there. Perhaps he is just not as nimble and sure footed as the average sheepdog or lurcher.

I intend to resolve this issue because he loves to get out with me and I don't like clambering down banks and ditches

or under blackthorns after shot rabbits.

I seem to have veered from the original post and I apologise for that. This illustrates how tricky it is to carry more

than just the driver on a quad safely.

ATB-Bryan.

I made a ply wood box for my spaniel, with a cut out at the front by the seat so the boy can get on & off with ease

from experience, use straight line speed only, SLOW when turning!! otherwise lethal! same as all atv's high centre of gravity = poor cornering. Dave

If you've got a chance and you're almost in the doo-doo you could try standing up, this lowers your centre of gravity by putting your weight on the pegs/boards (ie lower than your backside) and gives you the ability to lean into the turn - but what do I know, I only ride a motorbike and put more weight on my feet going round a bend to lower the centre of gravity to make it more stable and go round the bend quicker and safer. (Probably stating the obvious here, if so, apologies)

But then this doesn't help the guy on the back holding the gun and hasn't got much to hold onto anyway...................

Best wishes

FBW

Edited by fizzbangwhallop

If you've got a chance and you're almost in the doo-doo you could try standing up, this lowers your centre of gravity by putting your weight on the pegs/boards (ie lower than your backside) and gives you the ability to lean into the turn - but what do I know, I only ride a motorbike and put more weight on my feet going round a bend to lower the centre of gravity to make it more stable and go round the bend quicker and safer. (Probably stating the obvious here, if so, apologies)

But then this doesn't help the guy on the back holding the gun and hasn't got much to hold onto anyway...................

Best wishes

FBW

correct-a-mungo! by placing most of your weight on the inside peg and swinging your **** as far out as you can, you can corner at most speeds with relative safety (camber is a more difficult ballgame)