West Sussex. Wildfowling,pigeon and rabbit shooting.

The Chichester Harbour Wildfowlers Association currently has membership vacancies for newcomers to the sport or old hands looking for a change of scenery.

Visit their website for more information.

What is the web site have looked what is the cost etc.

Regards

Mark

Many thanks for the link Chrispti.

A full probationary members sub. is £174 which includes BASC membership.

Junior is £45 and OAP is £106.

Wildfowling over in excess of 30 MILES of foreshore. Inland duck shooting on jointly owned freshwater marsh and pigeon shooting.

Comprehensive training given to newcomers to the sport or shotgun shooting in general.

George, Sorry mate,I think its 16 but I`ll check and get back to you.

Sealine, Any particular reason why you don`t fancy the `fowling mate? Did you have a bad experience in the past?

As an aside, joining a fowling club is a great way to get to meet other shooting people and "network" yourself, to learn a lot about the sport from people who know what they`re talking about and enjoy some excellent and reasonably priced shooting. I know a few members who are not desperately keen fowlers, but who, once they passed their probationary year and became eligible, swapped a days fowling on an accompanied day ticket (£5 for morning or evening flight. £10 for the whole day.)for days pigeon shooting, rabbit shooting, ferreting etc, etc. Once you`ve passed your probation you`ll find you`ve got some shooting you can trade with.

Supersonic. Full BASC membership is included in the price. If you are already a BASC member you can claim back one sub. from BASC. The reason for it being inclusive is to ensure that everyone`s subs. start and finish at the same time and avoids the administrative nightmare of having to keep checking dozens of members expiry dates to ensure that they don`t run out in the middle of the season.

Hope this helps.

Nice one mate. Hope you get some fun out of the money pit. Just a thought. The club treasurer is prepared to take payment by installment. You won`t get your shooting permit until you`ve paid in full but if you started paying now it would cost about £45 a month and you`d still be able to kick off the wildfowling season in September.

For the price of a few pints of beer and a few packets of fags per month, you could have access to thousands of acres of extra shooting.

No but need a dog (which i don't own, working the hours i do would not be fair to keep one), and having just upgraded all my pigeon gear, dont to to have to buy a load more (waders etc), sounds petty but would have the wife stringing me up for spending more on gear.

Fair enough mate. But just to clarify the point, although there is a requirement in the local clubs to have the use of a dog on SOME of the areas when shooting, that does`nt mean that you have to OWN one yourself.

You`ll be supervised and taught by someone with a dog during your probationary year. After your first year, during which you may well have teamed up with a dog owner, the club realises that not everyone can own a dog and has a long list of gunners, myself included, only too pleased to take out a dogless fowler.

I can think of more than one member who has never owned a dog in the twenty five years he`s been in the club but he still gets out a tremendous number of times each season and has a wide circle of shooting mates.

I understand what you mean about the equipment but a lot of the shooting is done from the sea wall where thigh or chest waders are completely unnecessary. In fact, if you`ve already got waterproof clothing and welly boots, about the only thing extra that you need to give fowling a try is a box of non toxic cartridges.

Fair enough mate. But just to clarify the point, although there is a requirement in the local clubs to have the use of a dog on SOME of the areas when shooting, that does`nt mean that you have to OWN one yourself.

You`ll be supervised and taught by someone with a dog during your probationary year. After your first year, during which you may well have teamed up with a dog owner, the club realises that not everyone can own a dog and has a long list of gunners, myself included, only too pleased to take out a dogless fowler.

I can think of more than one member who has never owned a dog in the twenty five years he`s been in the club but he still gets out a tremendous number of times each season and has a wide circle of shooting mates.

I understand what you mean about the equipment but a lot of the shooting is done from the sea wall where thigh or chest waders are completely unnecessary. In fact, if you`ve already got waterproof clothing and welly boots, about the only thing extra that you need to give fowling a try is a box of non toxic cartridges.

Whoops, must stop repeating myself!

Edited by mudpatten

I would like to mention that I do not own a dog either. Weekends were pretty much the only time I got off and I managed to get out every weekend that I had free. :o

As for gear, apart from a box or 2 of non-toxic carts, I have only purchased a pair of £25 thigh boots which were needed to cross the creeks. :o

• 2 weeks later...

Cheers mate, thanks for the support. You are absolutely correct that wildfowling represents fantastic value for money.

Especially since CHWA(SWAWMA) offers so much more than just lots of shooting.

Thinking about getting a dog? The club offers everything from advice on the breed, kenneling and feeding through to group or one to one training classes, all at little or no charge.

Don`t know much about non toxic shot? We can supply authoritative instruction on all current shot materials and advice on homeloading.

Don`t know which gun is best suited to the sport? Members evenings where you can handle and examine most of the currently available models with the opportunity to have a go at a local clay shoot. You can even get some shooting tuition thrown in!

You`ve bought a duck or goose call and can`t make it sound like anything other than a strangled cat. No problem. Our experienced instructor can soon get you conversing with the quarry.

Don`t know a canada goose from a hedge sparrow? Constant on the job bird I.D. training will mean that you will soon be familiar with all the common esturine species.

You don`t have appropriate fowling gear. Actually, you probably have enough to get started if you`ve got wellies and a waterproof coat and overtrousers.

And the list just goes on. Novices especially catered for and old hands welcome.

It has to be said that, at the end of the day, fowling which is challenging at the best of times, may not be the shooting sport for you. But how will you know if you don`t give it a fair trial?