My dogs a bit strange

Marcus

Hi before I go off to the vets I thought I would ask on here first.

My dog (not a gun dog) was out with me tonight for a walk in a field. When we come out of the field he could not put weight on his rear left leg, so got the Mrs to pick us up.

When I got home I checked him over and could not find anything, leg/paw etc all looked and felt OK, no real reaction from the dog (he is a tough nut though) After a very short period he did start to put weight on this leg, stand and walk almost like normal.

However, he is now being very strange, he is moving about between each sofa, very quickly and then laying for a short period, then off he goes again to another chair. He is panting a lot and his heart rate is quite quick. (I guess this could be from moving about like he is at the moment, but cant be sure) Very out of character for him.

I have given him a very thourough check again, all over but cant find anything.

Im hoping its a sprain or something, I thought he may have been bitten by a snake, but it was 10pm at night.

Any thoughts?............thanks

If your dog was bitten by an Adder there would be obvious swelling, very quick heart rate and a lot of drooling. Also might sound daft but their coat i my expeirance goes very dull.

I have a caravan and camping park next to about 1000 acres of sand dunes and there quite a few Adders around. My Lab was bitten about 6 years ago and maybe 3 other bites on guests dogs in a 10 year period. My dogs are on the dunes everyday twice a day (good place for steadyness training as lots of rabbits as well), we have a lot of people who stay here because of the dunes so its not so easy to get bitten.

He's fine this morning.

Last night, after doing some research on the net, I gave him an anti histamine, and washed his legs/paws down with vinegar (didnt have any aloe v) After about 30 mins he started to settle down.

I dont normally walk into the last field, but last night something caught his eye and off he went like a rocket. I will have to keep him out of there in future.

My GWP got really bad nettle stings to his feet when he was a pup. He was running around the house like a cat on a hot tin roof for hours. Now he can go over the same ground without any problem as his pads are nice and hard.

I have a black and a pepper and salt mini and they are fantastic dogs. Noisy little **** but full of character and the black one is a really grumpy old man.

Harry