Great Horned Owl Decoy

Lez325

DIY Decoys- well sort of

I recently spent £15 buying an 18 inch, plastic, Great Horned Owl Decoy- it did work to some extent bringing in a few Rooks to the shotgun but they soon got the jist it was a plastic replica

However: once it got rained on it shined like a beacon ( not good) and Rooks / Carrion Crows were turning away some 40 yards out from my hide

So I decided to apply my self to sorting this problem out- the idea was to cover the Owl Decoy in something that didnt shine when wet - low and behold whilst out this mornimng I came across what was left of a Hen Pheasant that had lost in a fight to a Fox-

I filled my shooting bag with the feathers ( all that was left of the unfortunate Pheasant)) and brought them home- my Mrs was overjoyed at a kitchen full of dead bird remains

Sorted some glue( Carpet adhesive 100% Waterproof so the Feathers wont fall off in the rain) and stuck the feathers onto the decoy individually - this took ages and a little patience produced an almost finished Great Horned Owl Decoy

Ok, maybe not the right colouring for a Great Horned Owl, but it looks more realistic now ( or will do when I finish the face and chest) Just need to find a dead Pheasant or even better a dead Buzzard & No I wont be shooting either of these birds to provide the feathers

I antisipate the feathers Ive stuck on, will move in a breeze and looking a little more like a raptor & will bring in the Corvids over my shotgun

Heres a couple of Photo's as said ITS NOT FINISHED YET! still to do the face, chest and a few more on the back to fill in the gaps

GreatHornedOwlDecoy001.jpg

GreatHornedOwlDecoy002.jpg

Les

Anyone have some Feathers that would be suitable- I need some - will cover P&P

Edited by Lez325

Looks good Lez,i reckon that will do the job :o what you need is a couple of roadkill hen birds to finish it off :o why not give our resident roadkill expert a PM,bicykillgaz should sort you out mate :o :o atb BB

Edited by Bluebarrels

More feathers found- just waiting for the ones fellow PW members have posted

here it is so far: Front

OwldecoyMk2002.jpg

Back

OwldecoyMk2003.jpg

at least it doest shine in the rain now and boy is it raining- typical Somerset Bank Holiday weather

Les :good:

Thanks guys. :blink:

As I stood it on my patio to photograph - I went inside to get the digital camera- it was mobbed by 2 Grey Wagtails- so It should in theory work well on the corvids - even more so if I place a dead Rook by its feet.

Im out Thursday - keep you posted

Les <_<

Lez it looks great, but you'll have the bird watchers out say they've found a new breed of owl..... lol :yay:

I'll have to make up a FAKE OWL type call and play it from my 4x4 just to add to the confusion :good:

Excellent work, i use my feathers for tying my flies, but im def gonna have a go at this, i have an owl here that needs a face lift.

Its very theraputical - It took me around 5 hrs over a couple of days- remember to use waterproof Adhesive though, or the feathers may fall off in the rain :P

Les ;)

Edited by Lez325

I took 7 Carrion Crows using a shotgun and the Owl- late yesterday afternoon around 5pm

Shot one over Rook deeks - then took away those deeks - replaced them with the Owl and a dead rook by its feet- and in they came mobbing it like crazy- my shotgun was red hot lol - cracking sport

Les :good:

• 3 weeks later...
I took 7 Carrion Crows using a shotgun and the Owl- late yesterday afternoon around 5pm

Shot one over Rook deeks - then took away those deeks - replaced them with the Owl and a dead rook by its feet- and in they came mobbing it like crazy- my shotgun was red hot lol - cracking sport

Les :yes:

##Excellent tip there... i have the same owl and never had that much joy with it... i think i might try that one for deffo....

i might even dye the feathers if it makes a difference :)

• 2 weeks later...
looks fantastic lezz, going to make that my winter nights project.peak game season, loads of feathers available.thinking of mallard [ femail] .your thoughts.

Yes Mallard would be just as good if not better than Pheasant- (Plumage of the femail Mallard is more Raptor looking)

If you need any advise on glues etc PM me

Les :drinks:

Ps Ive shot dozens of Rooks and Carrion Crows using this decoy- it was time well spent in my opinion :yes:

Yes Mallard would be just as good if not better than Pheasant- (Plumage of the femail Mallard is more Raptor looking)

If you need any advise on glues etc PM me

Les :blink:

Ps Ive shot dozens of Rooks and Carrion Crows using this decoy- it was time well spent in my opinion :yes:

where did you get the decoy from les?

• 2 years later...