Legality

edr

I have recnetly been asked to shoot some rabbits on the local school/village green, they have looked at poisons but as the school use the feild in the day time that is not possible; the head of the parish council beleives that we are allowed to shoot with there permisson. I have looked into the ownership and it is owned by the privatly by the parish council but with permisson for the public to enter, so with there written permison we cannot see a problem, it may turn a few heads but it is a fairly agriculutral village so most dont mind as they are getting burrows down the middle of there wicket. As long as we are not disrupting the highway (50ft rule) will we be within the law?

EDR

Hi EDR, I don't know why no-one's answered you on this :good: Unfortunately I can't give you a difintive answer, only to say

that as long as all parties involved are in agreement and the local Bobbies are informed, I'd say it should be ok.

But think about your backstops and perhaps doing it at night when no-one about, putting signs up too maybe?

Anyway, good luck and let us know how you get on.

cheers

JKD

Edited by JKD

Maybe worth getting the chairman of the parish council to loiter around the main entrance to intercept any inquisitive locals. Better for him to tell them what is going on than you keep getting interrupted while carrying a firearm.

Can't see a problem but do inform the police as the chances are they will get a call.

Had similar on some public land here that i shoot,as long as you have written consent form person responsible,insurance,inform police of your intented shooting habits so they aware of who it is when they get complaint,and do carry out risk assesment include highly visable signs at all entrances 'no entry vermin control in progress',then just follow safe shooting practices :good: .

atb Karl

Under the Agricultural Act 1947 and Pest Act 1954 land owners are duty bound to control rabbits.

The advice you have received above is sound and obviously no point in trying to wind up the neighbours, but once you have found who owns/has control right over the land, and you get permission/instruction to control them then go for it! :good:

we were asked by the parish council as the cricket sqaure and grass round the scoreboard is rapidly disappearing; i was wondering as it was the school/playing field with the astroturf and park joined on to it that there were no other more influencial laws restricting us from shooting it. I am all insured and have been shooting for a few years now, just waiting for the parish council so we can have a written permisson letter.

EDR

Under the Agricultural Act 1947 and Pest Act 1954 land owners are duty bound to control rabbits.

The advice you have received above is sound and obviously no point in trying to wind up the neighbours, but once you have found who owns/has control right over the land, and you get permission/instruction to control them then go for it! :good:

Think that has been rescinded, certainly the ability to actually fine you has been, which iirc was £500, it was not used enough to keep it going i believe.

Think that has been rescinded, certainly the ability to actually fine you has been, which iirc was £500, it was not used enough to keep it going i believe.

I know there was talk about it a while ago but I don't think it has been yet, I could be wrong but Natural England still has the Complaint sheet to download on it website specifically referring to these acts. Form is VML A02 (10/09), may just have not taken it off yet of course......

Anyone confirm if these Acts are still in force?:good:

As long as we are not disrupting the highway (50ft rule) will we be within the law?

EDR

Just checking here but you do know it is OK to shoot within 50ft of a highway as long as doing so would not endanger, distress or impede a user of that highway?

Only mention it as it seems a lot of people think that you can't shoot at all within 50ft of a highway.

I know there was talk about it a while ago but I don't think it has been yet, I could be wrong but Natural England still has the Complaint sheet to download on it website specifically referring to these acts. Form is VML A02 (10/09), may just have not taken it off yet of course......

Anyone confirm if these Acts are still in force?:good:

Yes, it's an unrepealed law (bit like all boys over 11 should practice archery) but it's never taken to a prosecution now. I still use it on my other half's grandmother though, who has 5 acres of former orchard where the floor moves with rabbits. She still won't let me shoot them though :good:

Just checking here but you do know it is OK to shoot within 50ft of a highway as long as doing so would not endanger, distress or impede a user of that highway?

Only mention it as it seems a lot of people think that you can't shoot at all within 50ft of a highway.

Yes, it's an unrepealed law (bit like all boys over 11 should practice archery) but it's never taken to a prosecution now. I still use it on my other half's grandmother though, who has 5 acres of former orchard where the floor moves with rabbits. She still won't let me shoot them though :oops:

Thanks For The Replies :yes:

Yeh im not going to risk distracting the highway as the residents round that area have too much free time to look out the window. ???

Hopefully We Should Get The Wicket In Decent Conditon Again

EDR

Thanks For The Replies :yes:

Yeh im not going to risk distracting the highway as the residents round that area have too much free time to look out the window. ???

Hopefully We Should Get The Wicket In Decent Conditon Again

EDR

No, don't miss an opportunity to shoot. Call the police and let them know. You will more than likely get a firearms officer to keep you company on your shoot. Nevertheless, it'll ensure you don't get the armed response unit and a helicopter called out to you.

Just call the police and tell them where it is and the risks of someone calling the police. Oh and knock on the doors of those houses that overlook the green.

Most of all, ensure you have a safe backstop. :oops:

One thing that many people forget is that once you have permission/instruction to shoot, you do not need to ASK the police, neighbours or anyone else...you TELL the police you are shooting.... but obviously it is useful to keep the locals happy so best not to wind them up!

On new shoots I make it clear to landowners in my literature they should advise all family, staff, neighbours etc, shooting will take place.

Unfortunately, whatever the right or wrong, neighbours etc can cause a lot of grief!!!

ATB!!

No, don't miss an opportunity to shoot. Call the police and let them know. You will more than likely get a firearms officer to keep you company on your shoot. Nevertheless, it'll ensure you don't get the armed response unit and a helicopter called out to you.

Just call the police and tell them where it is and the risks of someone calling the police. Oh and knock on the doors of those houses that overlook the green.

Most of all, ensure you have a safe backstop. ???

a mate of mine use to shoot a local football ground and when ever he went he was told to phone police he did not phone them on one occasion and a do gooder saw him in the middle of the pitch all camo up and phoned the police 20 mins later while putting his gear in the car the armed response turned up

colin

I'd usually be against calling the police to say I'm out shooting, but if you're shooting somewhere that the public have access to, or you can be spotted holding a gun by a member of the public (not public footpaths, but from a house etc) then I'd call.