lamping

you lamp one hour before dark? :good:

best bet is to try different times,also at the moment i`m shooting more in the hours before dark,than when i go out lamping

try longer than 1 hour into dark and look to see if the rabbits are lampshy,as this may possible be a reason for not seeing them.

i stay up till 2am and have tried later but,has been a waste of time compared to the time before 2am

al

thanks colster..corrected the time.. :good:

Edited by albob

I agree with Albob (although I assume he meant 2am), my shooting trips are either with a mate deer stalking then lamping after or on my own rabbiting until dark. When we're doing deer too we go out from about 6pm until an hour after sunset, that then gives us a bit of time while the light fades completely, to clean out the deer, put one gun away, get the other out, have a smoke and a chat etc, this way it's dark when we lamp and depending on work commitments the following day we will stay out until between 11pm and 1am.

If I'm on my own, I try and be settled in a spot laying in the grass by about 6pm, then I'll shoot until about 9 (or when I can't see clearly enough, depends on the cloud cover).

Edited by Colster

its a funny time of year and depends entirely on your ground as to whether lamping is worthwhile. Most of our ground is arable so not really worth it, best results we have are winter and spring when we can cover all the ground. Also what are you lamping with? if its shotguns on foot its not going to be very productive

its a funny time of year and depends entirely on your ground as to whether lamping is worthwhile. Most of our ground is arable so not really worth it, best results we have are winter and spring when we can cover all the ground. Also what are you lamping with? if its shotguns on foot its not going to be very productive

we are using air rifles with the deban mini tracer lights with dimmer switches and red filters, on 2 golf courses and farm/woodland not arable there is loads of signs of rabbits scratchings and droppings but never seem to see a great deal about may have to give dawn a go not tried that yet (but not lamping as it will be light ha ha) before someone picks up on that al

colin

this time of year I get a fair few catching rays of sun around 6pm to 8 pm on the field margins then they pop in for a nap and dont come out much till the wee hours..... went foxing friday (dont shoot bunnies when foxing to keep the area quite) and very few bunnies out from 9pm till 1am when we packed up due to mist........

we are using air rifles with the deban mini tracer lights with dimmer switches and red filters, on 2 golf courses and farm/woodland not arable there is loads of signs of rabbits scratchings and droppings but never seem to see a great deal about may have to give dawn a go not tried that yet (but not lamping as it will be light ha ha) before someone picks up on that al

colin

me pick up on you lamping in the light? ???:yes::oops:

i shoot on golfcourses and i have to admit,i get more with hmr or 22lr than i can with air rifle and yes,i have been trained in the noble art of stalking rabbits but,the hmr(especially)gets me more rabbits than i ever could with the air rifle.(i presume yours is 12ftlbs?).tried it many times and the hmr makes the job easier(up to a degree) and that is walking round.they can be shot if you wait up for them with the lamp,using dimmer on as low as possible and flick it on now and again.turn up enough to id and then shoot.done that with hmr and 22lr,both have done well considering most would say the noise of the hmr would spook them but,depending on the distance,the shot may not have enough time to give the sonic crack.same idea can be used with air rifle.just get ready for the bugs biting...ouch.. :yes:

i have switched from white light to amber filter and then on to red filter and must admit,for some reason the red filter gets them more so than the others but,bear in mind that i do shoot a lot,so lampshy rabbits will be about and using different filters can help stop them getting wise to the light.

lots of different tactics can be used and it is a case of find one to suit and vary it,so they do not wise up.

good luck.

al

me pick up on you lamping in the light? ???:yes::oops:

i shoot on golfcourses and i have to admit,i get more with hmr or 22lr than i can with air rifle and yes,i have been trained in the noble art of stalking rabbits but,the hmr(especially)gets me more rabbits than i ever could with the air rifle.(i presume yours is 12ftlbs?).tried it many times and the hmr makes the job easier(up to a degree) and that is walking round.they can be shot if you wait up for them with the lamp,using dimmer on as low as possible and flick it on now and again.turn up enough to id and then shoot.done that with hmr and 22lr,both have done well considering most would say the noise of the hmr would spook them but,depending on the distance,the shot may not have enough time to give the sonic crack.same idea can be used with air rifle.just get ready for the bugs biting...ouch.. :yes:

i have switched from white light to amber filter and then on to red filter and must admit,for some reason the red filter gets them more so than the others but,bear in mind that i do shoot a lot,so lampshy rabbits will be about and using different filters can help stop them getting wise to the light.

lots of different tactics can be used and it is a case of find one to suit and vary it,so they do not wise up.

good luck.

al

thanks mate, have put in for 22lr last monday just the long wait now to find out how i fair,

colin

thanks mate, have put in for 22lr last monday just the long wait now to find out how i fair,

colin

All the best for your application, you won't regret it. Awesome rifles... and don't listen to the naysayers telling you HMR rules, LR is quiet, cheap to feed and once you learn your aimpoints, 100-120yard bunnies are not a problem (in the first pic, I can confidently hit bunnies up by that hedge in the distance). Originally only used mine for lamping and the FAC Air during the day but have a permission where the landowner isn't keen on shooting at night so been taking the LR out in the evenings and it's been mopping up the bunnies brilliantly.

post-17403-1274736663.jpg

post-17403-1274736678.jpg

Edited by Colster

All the best for your application, you won't regret it. Awesome rifles... and don't listen to the naysayers telling you HMR rules, LR is quiet, cheap to feed and once you learn your aimpoints, 100-120yard bunnies are not a problem. Originally only used mine for lamping and the FAC Air during the day but have a permission where the landowner isn't keen on shooting at night so been taking the LR out in the evenings and it's been mopping up the bunnies brilliantly.

nice looking gun mate thats just what i have been looking at cant wait now

colin

hail to the hmr.. :oops::yes:

al

Oh don't misunderstand me I'm not an HMR bashing LR owner. I was out last night and could see bunnies out about 150yards away and as I lay there I did ponder the merits of an HMR, then 2 bunnies came out of the hedge no more than about 20yards away and I thought could have bought my air-rifle for these two... but they're in the freezer now anyway. ???

HMR is a great round and has it's pros and cons and it's a bit like the old .177 vs .22 debate in air rifles - both will do the job so choose one (or both if your pockets allow) and you'll be happy either way.

Edited by Colster

Oh don't misunderstand me I'm not an HMR bashing LR owner. I was out last night and could see bunnies out about 150yards away and as I lay there I did ponder the merits of an HMR, then 2 bunnies came out of the hedge no more than about 20yards away and I thought could have bought my air-rifle for these two... but they're in the freezer now anyway. :good:

HMR is a great round and has it's pros and cons and it's a bit like the old .177 vs .22 debate in air rifles - both will do the job so choose one (or both if your pockets allow) and you'll be happy either way.

i did not misunderstand you colster and it was a tongue in cheek reply.

i`ve shot many different rifles from rimfire to c/f and the little hmr still amazes with every shot taken.

i fully agree with your last statement. :yes:

al

All the best for your application, you won't regret it. Awesome rifles... and don't listen to the naysayers telling you HMR rules, LR is quiet, cheap to feed and once you learn your aimpoints, 100-120yard bunnies are not a problem (in the first pic, I can confidently hit bunnies up by that hedge in the distance). Originally only used mine for lamping and the FAC Air during the day but have a permission where the landowner isn't keen on shooting at night so been taking the LR out in the evenings and it's been mopping up the bunnies brilliantly.

So glad to read your post,i have fac granted and during 'the visit',i agreed with the feo to drop .17hmr and keep .22lr and the .223 on his advise,i just couldnt make my mind up even after using both and reading all your posts on here. :good:

in answer to the op went out last night from 7-10 pm and got 25+ a crow :good:

Edited by vampire