Exploding Rabbit.

I would not normally put such a graphic video up but this short clip really does show the damage that the humble 17HMR can inflict. I have seen less damage done to a rabbit with my .222 in the past!

name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>">
name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="480" height="385">

Now funnily enough I use the rem's too, and have definately seen a difference in the impact damage compared to other .17 ammo, it was disucssed on here a while back I think.

As per the credits - Remington Premier V-Max Boat Tail 17GR

Standard and straight out of the box!

was that 2 rabbits in one? nice shot.

Sorry to disappoint you mate but no it wasn't 2 in 1. It certainly looked like it but what happened was that the rabbit I hit was in fact hit so hard it shot off backwards and bowled over the rabbit that was behind it.

Looking carefully at the video again I should have kept my mouth shut and left it looking like a brilliant 2 in 1 shot but who would I have been fooling if I had?

what range was that frenchie ? :good:

To be quite honest that shot was a bit closer to 75 yards than it was to 85 yards. I have just been out this evening and taken two rabbits, both head shots and both well beyond 100 yards - The heads were a total mess with the exit wounds being half the heads completely missing. Is it possible that the barrel has at last settled down and has found that "optimum sweet spot" now that it has fired about 1200 rounds since new?

I have also just fitted a new scope today that I bought off another forum, plus a new 9-13 Swivel Bipod. The new scope is a Sutter 6-24X50 IR with a 30mm tube which I am delighted with (It cost £30 +P&P and was brand new and included the mounts). I now feel that I have a "bunny bashing" tool that is going to be hard to beat! (All I am waiting for now is a new set of 30mm muonts so that I can fit the scope camcorder to it again, that should arrive tomorrow from J.S.Ramsbottoms so we can have some interesting "Head Shot Video Compilations"!)

That is impressive for HMR :good: ..but man, I am with others, when it seems to be that everyone else gets different killing ability from their HMR's :lol: , some seem to destroy rabbits, while others just go pop, flop over.

I use a CZ varmint and always found hornady rounds to be best, and yes, as I clean mine more and more I get tighter groups for some reason :rolleyes:

I use copper colvent as well, not sure if that is OTT for a HMR, but was told to by the guy I bought the rifle off, so always have, not noticed alot of copper fouling though, because bore snakes are SO tight!!..it seems to get alot out by itself :angry:

17gr, is the way to go though, my longest confirmed kill is 150-178yds on rabbit, but had 5 so far at the 150 mark, it sure knocks the socks off the .22LR, only downside is that it slows down REALLY fast because of its weight :/

Steve

nice work - i've been using that ammo - very accurate - but i have noticed a few cases with splits in the neck after being fired, - round was still spot on - but was not sure if this was anything to worry about? (sorry to take your thread of track Frenchie! - ):angry:

dooes happen on occasions and nothing to worry about. :rolleyes:

had a few in the past and a gunsmith told me the above.

al