any tips for magpies

LIDLOR

1 magpie decoy, an egg and a box of matches...

crack the egg and place the decoy next to it, shake the box of matches to immitate a magpie call.. give it a go, in my honest opinion i wouldnt hesitate about shooting them,sooner rather then later as they will be after the young song birds pretty soon, and atleast now they havent got any young that they need to look after, so you wont be starving any chicks.

Gibby

Just had a ride around the shoot this morning, the maggies are pairing up already, time to get on top of them before they get a hold, to many of them.

Personally I eliminate them on sight, plus the nests, any means possible........

Bazooka Joe. :lol:

at last someone speaking sense

Just had a ride around the shoot this morning, the maggies are pairing up already, time to get on top of them before they get a hold, to many of them.

Personally I eliminate them on sight, plus the nests, any means possible........

Bazooka Joe. :devil:

Glad you feel the same as me last year found 3 nests on one farm shot the hell out of them with the shotgun.

Must have worked farmer commented on the fact he had hardly seen a magpie at all last summer. :devil::devil::sly:

Bazooka Joe. :sly:

at last someone speaking sense

Steady chaps, I'm the biggest Magpie killer in my area, but don't break the law by destroying their nests.

Cat

Like I say, any means. Wait till they have made their nests, then get up one morning real early, & have a walk round with the guage, & one by one obliterate. With any luck you'll catch both together.

Steady chaps, I'm the biggest Magpie killer in my area, but don't break the law by destroying their nests.

Catamong,

I know what your saying, & I'm a member of the RSPB, also keep birds, but when you see them pulling nests to bits, killing the chicks etc, war is war, it doesn't happen on my shoot, not if I can help it................

I'm not saying wipe them out, but these days the Magpie population has exploded. Soon as you make a hole, it's filled, & before long they take over.

Birds are pairing up early this year, so it looks like I'm going to have to get my finger out.............So much for the 1947 winter we were supposed to get?:sly:?:devil:

Bazooka Joe :devil:

I have shot many magpies by just putting down some bread on my back lawn, and camping in an upstairs window with my .22 airrifle. Make sure that you place whole slices of bread out, as magpies will just take off with smaller peices. Then it is just a waiting game, and a matter of just putting a well placed pellet into the birds head and bingo game over.

Give it a shot.

LordAJ

the best time for shooting magpies is spring, may/june are probley the best months, theres comming up, so youle be in for some fun !!

I have had more luck in the Autumn/Winter months! I think this is due to the fact that I am getting better though!

Also just sitting in wait and letting them come to this particular tree on my Sunday shoot is a good ploy!