Chokes

Marcus

Again I used to use 1/4 and 1/4 for everything. I then lost confidence in them while shooting pigeons as there were several that were big puffs of feathers in the air and they carried on flying.

I then changed to 1/2 and 1/2 which I felt was a bit tight for some of the closer stuff.

I now use 3/8 in both barrels. I do not see why you should have a different choke in each barrel as there is no garantee that the second bird on a sporting layout will be further away, or the first one for that matter.

It is all about what works in your head.

well i find tight chokes work better for me. anything less than half i have no confidence in at all (which is probably more important than choke). i took my old super full choke remington out last weekend and straighted the 50 bird layout. might have to start using the old thing a bit more i reckon :good:

I my POV it all depend on what cartridge you are shooting and for what purpose, the choke type you are using can also give a little variation in the pattern

For my F3 I done some patterning with different steel cartridges trough Briley Spectrum and Teague super extended, Teague came out with the best results as it has 3-5 different chokes with nice patterns for each load where Briley could only show nice patterns with 1-2 chokes.

Currently I use Kent Club steel (#7,5 pellets) for sporting and the 24 gram gives nice patterns trough 1/2 - 5/8 and 3/4, the 28 gram gives nice patterns trough skeet - 1/4 - 3/8 - 1/2 and 5/8

I use Shotgun Insight to analyze my patterns, a very helpful software

Guest cookoff013

i use 1/2 and 3/4 in my sporter, full or half in my pump, and my sxs is labelled 1/2 and 1/1. but my sxs shoots patterns like 3/4 and extra full.

which is very good for light cartridges, and long birds.