Advice please..

kiddy1

Hi, I am selling my Beretta Silver Pigeon and thinking of replacing it with a semi-auto. Haveing never used one before, would it be reccomended to buy something cheap and cheerful to start off with or jump right in at the deepend and pay £700+ for example.

Also what would the pro's and con' s be of buying a semi-auto over the more traditional Side by Side, or Over and under? The gun would be used 99% of the time for shooting pigeons.

Cheers

For pigeon shooting they're perfect.You get a third shot (or more if its S1),reduced recoil and they're easier to load in confined spaces like a hide.

Negative points;They take longer to clean and spent cartridges can often cover an impresive distance.

Get whatever suits your pocket.If you've got £700 burning a hole in your pocket get a nice Berretta.

i would try and try one before changing. personally love them but some people dont shoot as well with them.

if you are budgeting £700 you'll get a nice beretta urika or urika 2.

try a winchester sx3 if you get chance, you'll probably get a new composite one for around that money.

go to a shop and handle a few, they are remarkably different in size and weight.

.....................or try a pump, much more fun and cycle anything :)

I agree with mickmep,

Its a personal thing, try as many as you can get your hands on.

Beretta 3XX series or the ulrikas, browning fusions, whinchester sx3s (my mate just bought one and its nice)

Benellis or Remington 1100 or 1187 are all worth looking at.

Iv just got an 1187 its heavy but really soft to shoot.

Try before you buy.

ATB Dave.

Hi, I am selling my Beretta Silver Pigeon and thinking of replacing it with a semi-auto. Haveing never used one before, would it be reccomended to buy something cheap and cheerful to start off with or jump right in at the deepend and pay £700+ for example.

Also what would the pro's and con' s be of buying a semi-auto over the more traditional Side by Side, or Over and under? The gun would be used 99% of the time for shooting pigeons.

Cheers

What is your rational for selling what tends to be a very fine Silver Pigeon?

I have 686 Sporting Special, Silver Pigeon III (my lad has this at the moment) and a 391 Gold.

Semis are a very different type of shooting but I love my 391 as I did my 303 before it....useful for pigeons, but make sure you get a game/field gun and not a sporter!

Cheers

hi ,i use a semi for all my pigeon and wildfowl shooting and prefer them to o/u,but i also shoot pheasant and you will be lucky if anyone lets you use one for pheasant,so i need both.if your set on a semi and do a lot of pigeon shooting,i would splash out on a better semi,any one of the top names will do you good.but you do need to pick them up and try them.and find one thay feels right,cos no matter how much you spend,if it dont fit youve wasted ya money

I have always shot over and unders but shot a mates Beretta Urika composite today for the first time and I am really really impressed how good it felt.

I have a recovering shoulder injury which is aggravated by shooting and have ordered a semi to shoot for a while (SX3 Flannigan) due to the lack of recoil.

After today I suspect I may be sticking with the semi after my shoulder is heeled as really enjoyed shooting the Beretta and my shoulder did not have the usual hammering.

The Urika seems a really fine piece of kit.

Thanks for the advice everyone... BUT it looks like I am keeping the silver pigeon, I took it to the clay ground to discover I can shoot literally everything on my left side but nothing on my right, it's as if I a

just guessing where to shoot on my right... Feels rather strange compared to the natural feeling I have on my

left side. Any advice on this matter?

Cheers

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Thanks for the advice everyone... BUT it looks like I am keeping the silver pigeon, I took it to the clay ground to discover I can shoot literally everything on my left side but nothing on my right, it's as if I am just guessing where to shoot on my right... Feels rather strange compared to the natural feeling I have on my left side. Any advice on this matter?

Cheers

Are you saying you can't hit the stuff to your right side? Are your right handed? Left eye dominant? (I am RH Leyed, but my left eye is much stronger and my right weaker)...big thread about Here: