Additives to Diesel

amateur

3 months ago we were debating the benefits of adding, amongst other things, two=stroke oil and rapeseed oil to diesel fuel to improve economy and Brad93 pointed me towards this web-site

Similar sort of thing - acetone in diesel and petrol engines

http://www.pureenergysystems.com/news/2005...900069_Acetone/

I said at the time that I would try acetone as an additive and report back.

The mix that I am using is 30 litres diesel (£1.20/litre)

12 litres rapeseed (£0.85/litre)

150 ml two-stroke oil (£2.50/litre)

50 ml acetone (£3.00/litre)

which gives me a cost of £46 per tankful instead of £50, an 8% improvement.

However, since adding the acetone I have found that the car (a Fabia vRS) runs even smoother, smokes less, gives over 10% better mileage and still goes like **** off a shovel.

So I'd say that acetone and two-stroke as additives seem to work well.

I've had no problems at all with adding rapeseed to my car - though others allege that it may upset some pumps and injectors - and it does make the exhaust smell sweeter.

The only downside is that now Morrisons have increased the price of their rapeseed to £0.92 ppl and reduced the diesel to £1.16, the cost savings of adding rapeseed have reduced to 5%.

I am sure that I could get the veggie oil cheaper elsewhere, but I'd have to drive to get it, and the object of the exercise was to save money, not to incur mileage for a spurious bargain.

The acetone I get by the litre from a local glass-fibre supplies stockist

Anyhow 15%-18% saving just by doing a little legal home-brewing!

i have been using the two stroke as an experiment 300ml per 60 litres..over a two month period....six tank fulls one tank .two stoke and the next just diesel ....i logged the milage at roughly 37 mpg ....it does not make a scrap of difference in my 2.5 toyota hiace

personally despite my views on the use of veg oil in modern diesels the use of Acetone is a very bad idea long term. Acetone is a very powerful solvent and diesel pumps rely on the diesel to lubricate the pump. Periodic use with injector cleaner which contains acetone is one thing but long term use is going to land you with a bill for a new pump. To save £5 a tank it really is not worth the cost of a new pump

• 3 weeks later...

I didn't add to this thread previously because I've only just returned from my hols in France.

I have driven 2250 miles over the past 3 weeks in my Fabia vRS, mainly on the autoroutes at 130kph, and averaged 55mpg

This was achieved by small additions of acetone and two-stroke oil to the straight diesel from the pump - I didn't bother with adding vegetable oil, because the price differential is in the wrong direction in France.

Diesel is still less than £1 per litre at the hypermarkets over there.

The car ran without a hitch.

The addition of two-stroke oil and acetone in small quantities to diesel certainly gives me a demonstrable improvement in mpg to my car.

The sceptics may caution otherwise - but it works

I wasn’t able to get away from pigeons though – this lot joined me on the apartment balcony within touching reach as I was getting stuck into the vin rouge

th_VID00080.jpg]

OK, so they are probably doves

I didn't add to this thread previously because I've only just returned from my hols in France.

I have driven 2250 miles over the past 3 weeks in my Fabia vRS, mainly on the autoroutes at 130kph, and averaged 55mpg

This was achieved by small additions of acetone and two-stroke oil to the straight diesel from the pump - I didn't bother with adding vegetable oil, because the price differential is in the wrong direction in France.

Diesel is still less than £1 per litre at the hypermarkets over there.

The car ran without a hitch.

The addition of two-stroke oil and acetone in small quantities to diesel certainly gives me a demonstrable improvement in mpg to my car.

The sceptics may caution otherwise - but it works

I wasn’t able to get away from pigeons though – this lot joined me on the apartment balcony within touching reach as I was getting stuck into the vin rouge

th_VID00080.jpg]

OK, so they are probably doves

Collared Doves or should that be Collar Doves?

Edited by Mr Potter

I am sure the MPG is good however my mate is a mechanic who has told me the following.

He has put 3 new sets if injectors in a golf 1.9 PD TDI over the last 3 years ( I think this is the engine your fabia has) because the owner was putting veg oil in the tank mixed with diesel.

Basically in a PD engine the injectors act as the compressor reaching peak pressures of 30,000PSI. Basically the water content of veg oil acts as a cutting agent on the injector tips causing erosion. Because the injectors are the compressors they are very expensive Im sure he said over £800 for 4 fitted.

It might save a few quid on diesel but £800 buys a lot of fuel!!!!

So as per Al4x's post, can this be done without the acetone?

Of course.

I tried the two-stroke originally - the car ran smoother and seemed to be less smokey on hard acceleration - but I did not find any particular improvement in fuel consumption.

Then I added the rapeseed oil in increasing quantities - no smokier, exhaust smelled sweeter, fuel consumption unchanged, but fuel price beneficial when there was a big difference in ppl between food-grade rapeseed and diesel.

Then I added acetone to the mix. BIG difference. Hardly, if any, black smoke on acceleration, major improvement in fuel consumption.

In all cases the performance of the car has been what it should be - but I think that it runs smoother with the acetone/twostroke addition.

I believe that Alex's concerns are overdone - the volume of acetone added (50ml to 40litres of diesel should not have a major effect on the lubricicity of the diesel, but does have an effect on its surface tension), and anyway is likely to be counteracted by the additional lubrication offered by the two-stroke.

Anyway - I'm not holding myself out as a technical expert - all I know is that the mix works for me in my car

Of course.

I appreciate you're no expert and nor am I. I'm just weighing up my risks in trying something like this.

What car are you running this through, as I have a feeling Alex has a Landy (correct me if I'm wrong) So I will have to err on the side of caution.

In all honesty after taking out my EGR today, I think a bit of black smoke is nothing in comparison to what the car had to put up with before...! I managed 60mph in 3rd, which is impossible in a Landy!

So I do need a mix which will help the system get out of the old 'EU' regulatory that it's burdened with...!

im using the two stroke method , and overall its made my td5 discovery alot smoother and a little bit quicker .

alot quieter on cold start too .

dont know if i advocate the solvent in the mix , cant do anything good in an oil mix in my honest opinion.

thumbs up to the two stroke , its a cheap way to have a quiet engine in a tractor :good::lol:

My last car was a Rover 200D, with the English diesel engine, for two years I ran it with a 30% veggie oil mix.

it ran as normal, 30,000 miles in two years, no problem at all, It is still going ok the new owner says.

the only time it ran like a retarded ignition four stroke was when I tried running it on a 50/50 mix! big mistake

was a **** to start and lost a lot of power, I run my 02 1700td Corsa on the 30% mix and no problems so far but

have noticed when I put in the wifes old chip oil (filtered) the car smells like a chippie! :good: " Frying tonight!" :lol:

I appreciate you're no expert and nor am I. I'm just weighing up my risks in trying something like this.

What car are you running this through, as I have a feeling Alex has a Landy (correct me if I'm wrong) So I will have to err on the side of caution.

In all honesty after taking out my EGR today, I think a bit of black smoke is nothing in comparison to what the car had to put up with before...! I managed 60mph in 3rd, which is impossible in a Landy!

So I do need a mix which will help the system get out of the old 'EU' regulatory that it's burdened with...!

me a landrover the shame of it I'm in a jap motor :good: Simply put with yours I'd try the 2 stroke as that will help lubricate things, I wouldn't do acetone other than in a dose of injector cleaner a couple of times a year. I'm not sure on the landys whether you have a high pressure pump but if so I would stick to diesel, funnily enough my brother used to have I think it was a 55 plate passat which said don't use bio diesel on the fuel cap, personally for me the savings are too small to be worth the risk as a new pump will usually set you back 1K. If you want advice from an expert do a google search for diesel bob, they say what pumps can and cannot be run on veggie oil, the problems accumulate in the pump so something may work fine but be slowly doing damage

So, excuse my ignorance, but is it as easy as figuring that there's 20 litres in the car and pouring a litre of two stroke into the tank? :good:

The mix of two stroke oil in the diesel is 100 millilitres of mineral two stroke oil to 35 litres of diesel . It really does work .

Harnser .

The mix of two stroke oil in the diesel is 100 millilitres of mineral two stroke oil to 35 litres of diesel . It really does work .

Harnser .

I think the point that billy was trying to make was how do you compensate for the fuel left in the tank?

My thought would be that you forget about it, add your 35l and the two stroke, and the ratio will level out after a few tanks :good:

i couldnt be ***** to cross the road for £4 never mind all that parlafa :blink:

how many times do you fill up your car every week? once? twice?

say twice, that's 8 pounds a week

that's a saving of 416 pounds per year :good:

makes you think :blink: