another shell to sea

the last engineer

I seen a thread from Henry d on shells he collected, loved the SPSG had a few myself way back when the sky was blue :) .

thought you'd like a look at this common or garden, take it or leave it, shell , no markings as such other than 12g on the end cap.

SO i hear the cry,,,,,,,,,, wait for it LB you'l like this one :P

Martin

post-11-1133909400.jpg

as Baldrick said its a military "flechette" , designed to inflict maximum damage at close quarter, looking at those darts i shudder with the thought of being hit with one, thought youd like to see it, i only had the one so looking fof another for the collection.

And just to be safe all my collected rounds, be they shotgun, rifle, handgun, are soaked in WD40 for a period of 2 weeks to destroy the primer and powder.

http://www.janes.com/regional_news/africa_...10522_2_n.shtml

you can read an excert about the use of such rounds.

Martin

Specialty ammunition

The ubiquitous nature of the shotgun has led to the development of a large variety of specialty shells, primarily for law enforcement. Types include:

Gas shells spray a cone of gas for several meters. These are primarily used by riot police. They normally contain pepper gas or tear gas. Other variations launch a gas grenade-like projectile.

Bean Bag rounds fire a nylon bag filled with tiny shots. The 'punch' effect of the bag is useful for knocking down aggressors and are used by police to subdue violent suspects. These rounds are sometimes used by wildlife officials to non-lethally subdue wild animals. Also known under the trademarked name of flexible baton rounds.

Flechette rounds contain hundreds of aerodynamic darts or needles instead of a shot. They are designed to penetrate armor and inflict painful wounds. American troops during the Vietnam War packed their own flechette shotgun rounds, under the name beehive rounds. Flechette rounds have been banned by numerous treaties for use in warfare.

Fireball or Dragon's Breath rounds fire a zirconium based incendiary mixture, resulting in a large fireball. These rounds are banned in many locations, since they pose a tremendous fire hazard and have few legitimate hunting or home defense uses.

Disintegrator or Hatton rounds are designed to blow out deadbolts, door locks and door hinges without risking the lives of those beyond the door. These rounds are packed with a mixture of dense metal powder (often lead) and wax, which can destroy a lock then immediately disperse. They are used by SWAT teams to quickly force entry into a locked room. Amongst police, these rounds are nicknamed 'master keys', and their use is known as 'avon calling'.

Cubic shot is lead shot with a cubic rather than spherical shape. This makes the shot tumble as it flies through the air, resulting in a much wider dispersion than spherical shot. Cubic shot is used for "brush loads", used for hunting game in heavy cover where shots taken at fast moving game at short range.

Flare rounds are sometimes carried by hunters for safety and rescue purposes. They are available in low and high altitude versions. Some brands claim they can reach a height of up to 600 feet (180 m).

Bird bombs are low-powered rounds that fire a firecracker that is fuzed to explode a short time after firing. They are designed to be used for scaring animals, such as birds that congregate on airport runways.

Fire Sirens are small, weighted whistles that, when fired, produce an incredibly loud sound. Ear protection is recommended for this shot.

There are many other types of specialty ammunition available, including standard ammo variations such as explosive or armor-piercing rounds.

This is a first. Thats just too brutal TLE, can't believe I just typed that :lol: I have seen something similar on a programme about tank busting. The shell they arrive in will pierce armour plated vehicles and the darts will richochet until contact with a soft surface, the occupants.

I can see it could be usefull though in the right circumstances.

LB