pigeon shooting

bigball

hi all AGAIN :yes:

got another question this time about pigeon magnets

ive asked a few of my mates about these as ive just brought one and was wondering the best place to place this in my decoy pattern

i set my decoys out in a u pattern faceing into the wind with my hide faceing the u pattern (hope this makes sense :) ) and a couple of my mates say place the magnet at the back of the pattern and a couple say at the front who is right or does it matter :good:?:yes:?:hmm:??

PLEASE HELP..........

hi all AGAIN :yes:

got another question this time about pigeon magnets

ive asked a few of my mates about these as ive just brought one and was wondering the best place to place this in my decoy pattern

i set my decoys out in a u pattern faceing into the wind with my hide faceing the u pattern (hope this makes sense :good: ) and a couple of my mates say place the magnet at the back of the pattern and a couple say at the front who is right or does it matter :yes:?:hmm:?:hmm:??

PLEASE HELP..........

For me i always have my magnet at the front of the pattern to 1 side or the other :)

do you use a magnet all of the time tom i ve been noticing that you always get a bumper bag

I dont always use my magnet know ,ive had days when it scares the birds away so i bring it in and see if that helps but i would never leave home for a days pigeon shooting with out it as on many trips it has been brillant in bringing the birds in :yes::good:

Like protom has said, I also use it to the front and to the side of a U patern.

Importantly though watch the birds and watch their reaction to it. Last week I had Hyperflaps on it and placed it about 10 yards to the right; I noticed all the birds were going to my left at about 40 yards from the hide so I moved it another 20 yards to the right and then they were going to my left at about 20 yards presenting a much easier shot each time. After shooting a couple I put real birds on the magnet and the woodies were flying straight at it, so then I moved it right to the front of the pattern and all the birds came in perfectly in front of me.

So the moral of the story is, watch the birds and use it to get the birds to present themselves where you want them. Don't be scared to change it if you think you can improve it. I tend to set it at a reasonably fast speed as well, I find they prefer it faster rather than slower.

I usually place a magnet between my hide and the main decoy pattern. I've had great success in the last couple of days with magnets and almost always use at least one. In shooting 205 on friday, i used a magnet with hypa-flaps about 15 yards to my right and level with the hide. I had another magnet out on the field behind me about 10 yards directly behind the hide.The pigeons came in a treat most of the time. If the main flightline onto a field happens to be from the left of me, i will place the magnet to the right of the decoy pattern and vice versa.

Like protom has said, I also use it to the front and to the side of a U patern.

Importantly though watch the birds and watch their reaction to it. Last week I had Hyperflaps on it and placed it about 10 yards to the right; I noticed all the birds were going to my left at about 40 yards from the hide so I moved it another 20 yards to the right and then they were going to my left at about 20 yards presenting a much easier shot each time. After shooting a couple I put real birds on the magnet and the woodies were flying straight at it, so then I moved it right to the front of the pattern and all the birds came in perfectly in front of me.

So the moral of the story is, watch the birds and use it to get the birds to present themselves where you want them. Don't be scared to change it if you think you can improve it. I tend to set it at a reasonably fast speed as well, I find they prefer it faster rather than slower.

:good:

Like the other have said most people put the magnet about 20 paces from the hide in front of the decoy pattern and to either side depending on how the birds are coming into it. I like you am still trying to work out the best way to use it. Only used mine for the first time yesterday and literally within five mins of setting up birds from the other side of the field were coming over to have a look. I was so impressed. The only problem i found with mine was that i used two birds i shot earliar and the weight of them had bent down the arm of the magnet and they just didnt look good so ended up scaring a couple of birds off. Not sure but i think ive prob got a bit of a cheap magnet.

Anyway all im doing is setting it up and having a look and tweek until i find something that works on the day.

Cheers

Dan