Shooting Hares

not many hares around here so i don't shoot them and i wouldn't anyway as an old boy told me once that they pair up for life and if you shoot one of a pair the other one never picks another partner, not sure if this is true through. i defineatly would never ever ever try and shoot one with an air rifle

You don't shoot everything and usually the weaker hares get caught.

When you go coursing you don't come back with 200 hares.

not much good for pest control then, the areas we shoot them you really need to hit fairly hard, the best areas repopulate within a year so it can't be doing the numbers much harm.

On two of my permissions i shoot hares only because i have been asked to do so.There were a lot of hares on one field really making a mess of the peas.I do not go out of the way to shoot them only if they come within range when pigeon shooting.On another permission i was told i had not to shoot the hares.I was pigeon shooting on a pea field on the same permission and i counted seventeen hares on the field at one time.No shortage of hares where i am. :good:

not much good for pest control then, the areas we shoot them you really need to hit fairly hard, the best areas repopulate within a year so it can't be doing the numbers much harm.

Comes back to why we do this(hunt), for sport or pest control?

We would be naive saying it's for the farmer.

I haven't shot hares for years as the farmers that give me permission to shoot on their land like to see them around....

Unfortunately I have now been asked to shoot them on sight on two farms, even though the farmers like to see them around.

The reason??? Coursers!!! Driving around the land without permission, over crops etc etc doing far more damage than an army of hares would do. :good:

Edited by Browning

Comes back to why we do this(hunt), for sport or pest control?

We would be naive saying it's for the farmer.

actually the estate I've been on hare drives its because the tenant farmers requested it due to the damage being cause so though its less than sporting it is necessary at times

I was decoying in a long grass field and after 3 hours we went and bagged up the dead uns,as I walked a hare bombed out from under me it scared the **** out of me! It also happened 4-5 times before,I don't touch them,it goes back to the 70s 80s 90s when we were taught they were rare.I don't see many around so leave them when I do see them. Well done all here for leaving them be .

Would it be such a problem if it was made legal again? Legitamate coursers would keep an eye on the land for poachers as well.

Coursing was well respected in years past before New Labour. It also seems people that have no previous experience of fieldsports before starting shooting have the same attitude.

This is why not sticking together will be the death of all sports. Look at Northern Ireland where they are looking to remove some of our quarry off the list, even looking to put Hares on the protected list.

hasn't made any difference here the ****** still drive over everyones freshly drilled crops running their dogs on hares, foxes and deer. No permission etc which accounts for a fairfew people having a bad opinion on the sport. They always have done it here and never stopped for the ban as it made no difference to them, it was illegal before the ban still is but they couldn't give a flying fig about it

hasn't made any difference here the ****** still drive over everyones freshly drilled crops running their dogs on hares, foxes and deer. No permission etc which accounts for a fairfew people having a bad opinion on the sport. They always have done it here and never stopped for the ban as it made no difference to them, it was illegal before the ban still is but they couldn't give a flying fig about it

Funny really, you could quote that paragraph and subsitute "****** still drive over everyones freshly drilled crops running their dogs on hares, foxes and deer" for "landed gentry in hunting pink still drive over everyones freshly drilled crops running their dogs on foxes"...lol

Never saw the similarity until now... apart from the inbreeding :good:

Cracking debate.

I like the comment that we need to stick together. I think that is very true as it is the only way a community of hunting enthusiasts will make it through the overly liberal way of thinking that all animals are cute and should be cuddled.

I personally have no issues with the shooting of Hares or any animal at all as long as the overall population of the animal is at a level where breeding is not affected or at a point where human intervention is required to continue their ongoing existence.

I actually think the over population of Buzzards is causing an issue and a licence should be issued for the thinning of numbers but that is a whole new argument in the making.

I think it is also a point to note that it is really nice to read that people here are as passionate about the welfare of the wildlife we hunt as well as the actual sport of shooting itself.

Long may it continue!

Cracking debate.

I like the comment that we need to stick together. I think that is very true as it is the only way a community of hunting enthusiasts will make it through the overly liberal way of thinking that all animals are cute and should be cuddled.

I personally have no issues with the shooting of Hares or any animal at all as long as the overall population of the animal is at a level where breeding is not affected or at a point where human intervention is required to continue their ongoing existence.

I actually think the over population of Buzzards is causing an issue and a licence should be issued for the thinning of numbers but that is a whole new argument in the making.

I think it is also a point to note that it is really nice to read that people here are as passionate about the welfare of the wildlife we hunt as well as the actual sport of shooting itself.

Long may it continue!

buzzards are a very big problem in the wrington vale-yeo valley area around bristol airport there's loads of them,I've cut open a few rabbits,thrown them on the field and theve swooped right down and had them! Same decoying theve taken the dead ones!