Ready for my hens tomorrow

markm

scared0016.gif isnt it illegal to keep children in them...... ;)

what with the liver off steve and the eggs from you, im eating well this weekend.... :lol:

shaun

serious question..... wont it make a mess of the grass.....

Edited by shaun4860

Just seen your post Mark!

Cracking colour-only orange could compliment an Eglu!!! :hmm::):good:

Like i said in my pm-just move the Eglu every few days and you're lawn will never get to the totally trashed stage! Hens love grass and it makes their yolks go bright yellow,but they will reduce it to literally a few millimetres in the space of a week.

If you hand feed them mixed corn regulary they tame quite easily.This is one of my old hens with my dog.

HPIM5838Custom.jpg

Ha :lol: dream on 8 weeks the garden will look like a desert. Ive been there. ! :lol:

Must admit that i almost broke my ankle earlier cos the hens decided to make a dust bath in the middle of my lawn resulting in a mini crater.I forgot it was there while on poo patrol.... :lol:

If you want chickens-you have to accept a little untidyness.I dont mind mine freeranging,but have to sweep paths etc regulary cos they scratch soil all over them and rake the lawn cos they spend their entire lives poo'ing. :/

Always had old fashioned timber cabins/sheds at home but thinking about it I bet those eglu jobbies are easy to clean/disinfect if the dreaded red mite shows up. I would think they would find it harder to find a place to 'live' in the plastic. Dunno what a giant eglu style cabin would look like though. :lol:

Always had old fashioned timber cabins/sheds at home but thinking about it I bet those eglu jobbies are easy to clean/disinfect if the dreaded red mite shows up. I would think they would find it harder to find a place to 'live' in the plastic. Dunno what a giant eglu style cabin would look like though. :lol:

Redmite cannot live in an Eglu cos there arent any nooks or crannies for them to hide.Cleaning is easy-dismantle then wash with soapy water (Fairy liquid) then leave it exposed to the sun for an hour or so so the UV rays sterilise the plastic.It really is that simple! :lol:

Redmite cannot live in an Eglu cos there arent any nooks or crannies for them to hide.Cleaning is easy-dismantle then wash with soapy water (Fairy liquid) then leave it exposed to the sun for an hour or so so the UV rays sterilise the plastic.It really is that simple! :lol:

Sounds great, far better than slapping creosote about to kill the little blighters. :lol: I've stopped using felt on my cabin roofs now as I found in the past that's where the most of them seemed to thrive. Love the idea of easy clean with the eglu though. :lol: