small engined 4x4

Guest GeorgeH

ive read what everyone has to say on the matter, so decided i might as well shove my oar in.

mate, you're coming up 17. unless money isnt really an issue - forget it. you might as well face facts.

4 x 4's arent going to come cheap whether that be insurance, running costs or the vehicle itself.

however, if money isnt a major issue, id suggest the fourtrack. its off-road and towing capabilities are better than most in the similar price bracket.

jeeeeez, i cant believe you lot were honestly suggesting a lada cossack or a flippin 4x4 panda !!!!!!!!!! the poor lad! he'd need a limitless supply of paper bags to shove over his head rather than being seen out in public in either one of those!

evil evil evil :)

lololololol

So a 2CV is out of the question?

o yes along with.........

the vauxhall nova, anything made by fiat, lada, proton, daewoo, hmmm this list is rather endless. cant we give the lad some pearls of wisdom rather than piles of poo?

But of course we can....... But he won't be able to afford any of them insurance wise... :)

Range Rover Sport

Jeep Grand Cherokee

Jeep Liberty

Mahindra

Mitsubishi Shogun Pinin.....

Errr...on second thoughts scrub the Grand Cherokee...

Especially if it's the H2/3. Cheap pickup with a different body on top.

Now the H1 in a pickup form. Now your talking :rolleyes:

Care Bear,

How much do you really have to spend for the insurance and 4x4 to give us real idea before we start talking about Lambo 4x4's next ? :thumbs: Note that even a Ford Fiesta at 17 with zero NCB could knock you back £1200-£1800 TPFT?

Though the idea of a pile of dead pigeon in the back of an X5 does appeal.

Edited by marlin.45

any 4x4 for your age will be a telephone number in insurance costs.

Agreed ! You might want to get a quote first before buying a 4X4.

There is an 18 year old lad in the office who has a N reg Nova 1.2 and his insurance is £1,000 + and that's third party only never mind fully comp.

The cost of the cover will probably be more than the cars worth!

Sorry to be a killjoy, but it's only when you get to be an old geezer like me when insurance becomes affordable.

Just a thought, but why not have a look at alternative 4x4 vehicles. There are quite a few 'car' dirivetives available. One of the cheapest being a Fiat Panda 4x4, but i wouldnt be seen dead in one of those. :rolleyes: But there are others out there.

Edited by Axe

noooooooooooooooooo noooooooooooooooooooo noooooooooooooooooooooo

omg no way..... drystone ADMITTED to knowing someone with a vauxhall nova???

arghhhhhhhhh.

and omg AXE..... that fact you even mentioned a panda 4x4, REGARDLESS of telling us you'd never be seen in one..... ewwwwwwwwwww *shudder*

At the risk of returning to the original topic I'd suggest that you have a serious think about why/when you really need the 4X4 capability. I say this as you're obviously up against it insurance wise and the running costs of most 4X4's are in excess of a typical standard car.

Before running the Fourtraks I had exclusively driven Peugeot estate cars for about 10 years. These included 305,405,306 and 406, all TD estates and they had to go where I wanted to be by and large. They went over some pretty rough terrain although not to the extent that the 4x4 will.

First 4x4 was one of those awful little Suzuki's, fine if you don't need any space, comfort, heating, or speed, ideal for knocking around the farm but an absolute nightmare on the road.

Next up I got myself a Ssangyong Korando 2.9 normally aspirated Diesel. These are also available in petrol but I'm not sure of engine size. The Diesels are Mercedes 5 cylinder engines and are spot on !!, bit like the Sprinter vans. It was very smooth, spacious, everything was electric, four wheel drive would haul some serious ****, all in all a cheap to buy, relatively economical 4x4. They also make a vehicle called a "Musso", a bit longer in the body but by all accounts very servicable. Get one cheap and insure it third party only ?

Then it was on to the Fourtraks, (Sportrak is the smaller petrol equivalent to the 4trak which can also be had in Petrol but more commonly in Turbo Diesel). These are a great value for money 4x4 and having tried a few different types my personal choice. My negative views on Rover stuff are based on vast amounts of comment from owners who've actually tried to use them off road. The ones I've been in are lumpy, draughty, rattlyand all in all pretty **** poor VFM, costing as they do a small fortune to buy and run.

I've currently got 2 Fourtraks, one of which I'm looking to sell, merely cos there isn't much point in having 2. Plans for 2006 is to get a Caterham 7 or Westfield for general driving about and keep the older 'Trak for pigeon shooting and pulling down houses.

OR my brother bought a Westfield in the summer. It was the X Demo model Westfield used to show and has some pretty good gear on it. He absolutley loves it and it travel at a fair pace of knots too. We have had some real good fun in it and its amazing how many boy racers out think they can **** you off only to find it is they who get ****** off.

Great car and great fun. If you need or want any advice gimme a shout and ill get my brother in touch with you.

Edited by Axe

If you've got time to take a look:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SSANGYONG-MUSSO-GLS-...1QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1998-SSANGYONG-MUSSO...1QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1998-SSANGYONG-KORAN...1QQcmdZViewItem

A whackin great 4x4 for not much money !!!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1993-DAIHATSU-SPORTR...1QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1992-DAIHATSU-SPORTR...1QQcmdZViewItem

Sporty for you sir !! Back removes so you can shoot bunnies from it at night with the lamp. Proper little 4x4, 1600cc.