small engined 4x4

Guest GeorgeH

Guest georgehare

im 17 next year and want a 4x4 for my first car..... does anyone know of any 4x4s that have smallish engines in them. the old shape suzuki vitaras have 1.6 petrols in them but i want a diesel if i can.

im not asking if anyones got one for sale but just wondering what options i have

thanks GH

there arent really any small diesal engines in 4x4s your better off with either a suzuki sj or samuri.the sj is only 1000cc but not a bad motor and the samuari is a 1300.which has a bit more grunt.they are both very cabable off road vehicles.or you can go for the lada niva cossack 1.6 or the lada niva husser 1.7i.these are awsome offroaders and they will start in the coldest of sub zero conditions cause there russian brrrrrrrrrrr

Take a look at an older Landrover 90, the insurance can be reasonable even for a 17 yr old.

Yes LR must be the choice, even consider a decent series IIA or III, go to NFU for the best insurance.

WF

But the drive to Staff's would be a challenge and fuel cost an issue if it's a petrol ;)

Check out a Suzuki Jimny. They are 1.3 injection (no diesel yet despite their promises to bring one out this year) and you can pick one up for 2k. If not then a 1.3 SJ. The 1.3 is usually more economical than the 1.0 and almost all come with a 5 speed box. Cheap to maintain and simple but reliable. Rust is the only issue.

If diesel is still the main decision maker then a LR Discovery 200tdi. Far cheaper than a 90/110 but you will still only see 30mpg - if it is healthy. You'll get the same on petrol from a Jimny.

In the end is comes down to what you have to spend on the 4x4..........................and then the cost of insurance! :lol:

Edited by marlin.45

Old Yin,

I agree on the Sportrak, good little machines had one before I came out here used it for driving any distances, economical, sold it to my mate who has run it successfully and cheaply for two years. I also had a Landy which was for running back and forth to my local shoot, steady on with slagging the Landy though I'm a fan!! You've obviously had a bad experience!

I wouldn't take a Disco in a Gift though!!!

Hammy

Edited by HAMMY

But the drive to Staff's would be a challenge and fuel cost an issue if it's a petrol ;)

I'm with Marlin you WON'T be able to afford to fill it with fuel, petrol or diesel.

I know guys with good jobs who wince at taking the landy on a long journey because of how much the fuel is going to cost.

If you were going to use it for short trips or when you were home from college then fine but commuting in a landy is the preserve of people with too much cash these days.

Check out a Suzuki Jimny. They are 1.3 injection :

Mrs pavman had the jimny, very reliable, but a bit heavy on the petrol despite the 1.3 engine, it was a T plate 1999 sold it in the summer for £3500 with only 30k miles on it. We needed more space and now have a defender, best 4x4 i ever had but you do need to be able to tinker to keep them going!

i had a lada niva cossack and i can honestly say they are one of the most capable off roaders i've ever driven,it's just a shame they suffer fron weak gearboxes,my last 4x4 was a suzuki sj410,it was pretty good off road but awfull on it,it was thirsty as hell because you're thrashing it everywhere just to keep up with the flow of traffic,at the present time i've got a suzuki vitara,they're acceptable on the tarmac and acceptable off road and fuel economy doesn't seem too bad but you can get naff all in the back so i don't think i'll be hanging onto it for too long.

ive read what everyone has to say on the matter, so decided i might as well shove my oar in.

mate, you're coming up 17. unless money isnt really an issue - forget it. you might as well face facts.

4 x 4's arent going to come cheap whether that be insurance, running costs or the vehicle itself.

however, if money isnt a major issue, id suggest the fourtrack. its off-road and towing capabilities are better than most in the similar price bracket.

jeeeeez, i cant believe you lot were honestly suggesting a lada cossack or a flippin 4x4 panda !!!!!!!!!! the poor lad! he'd need a limitless supply of paper bags to shove over his head rather than being seen out in public in either one of those!

evil evil evil :)

lololololol