Help

Punt Gun

A good friend of mine took his dogs out for a walk a few days ago in a field where many people walk their dogs. The dogs put a fox up and all 3 dogs bolted after the fox. The fox ran down an embankment with the dogs following, and all 3 dogs went under a train.

hows the prosecution wrong? dont think you can do much as theyll probably have him for negligence, which is what id call letting 3 dogs loose in a public area beside a train track.

very tragic accident, and im sure he's torn up by it, but if he had kept his dogs on a lead this wouldnt have happened. sorry <_<

Edited by Ozzy Fudd

That is a terrible story and I've got every sympathy for your friend - however I have to agree with Ozzy that a lead might have been wise when walking anywhere near a train line.

That said, I think the only thing you can do is offer to provide a character reference in any future court proceedings - should your friend plead not guilty to charges and support him that way.

There is still a long way to go before anything goes that far though, the RSPCA will have to believe that they have a strong chance of successful prosecution before they charge your friend, and hopefully it won't come to that.

strange one this and be interesting what they are prosecuting him for, it can't be cruelty possibly neglect but realistically that should be laughed out of court. Though its stressful ideally if you want to step in and help I would find out what they are prosecuting him for and get him decent legal advice. Obviously they weren't strictly under control at the time but that isn't an offence so its a bit of an odd one they don't usually go off on spurious prosecutions

We need to know what the suspected charges are. As it is I can't see anything wrong. He can do what he likes with them once dead, taking them home to clean them up is not an issue.

It's not 'hunting with dogs' they are trying to get him for?

Im guessing where he excercised them was a field near to a railway line and not a suburban street or playing field?

If so,im sure the only law perhaps would be tresspassing on the railways.If the dogs were off lead in a farmers field then thats not a public place so he couldnt be charged with having 'out of control dogs in a public place'.Dogs love to chase and unless the field boundaries are mesh it would be nigh on impossible to stop them.

Cold as it might sound,but accidents happpen.Im suprised the RSPCA are investigating this when its clear it was never deliberate or malicious.

Get him another dog and take him pigeon shooting, if he doesn't want to shoot any longer arrange some beating or picking up for during the season to give him something to aim for and to get him out and about.

Personally I would ignore the RSPCA and their supposed charges, as al4x says, if this even gets to court it is laughable and I can't see it resulting in a prosecution - do they take everybody to court whose dogs are hit by cars....? No, accidents are just that, accidents. The man set out to walk his dogs and what happened was neither his wish, his intention nor was it brought about by any deliberate action or inaction on his part - I would be surprised if any prosecutor would take the case on!

Thank you all

There is some helpful advice. I have been on the field several times, and you wouldn't even know there was a railway line there as it is a good 400m away from where we walk them.

From what has been discussed on here, is my own feeling with regards to the RSPCA I couldn't believe it when I phoned and spoke to him today, hence the reason for the post. I am working away, so won't get to speak to him in person till the week end but he is generally distraught and has already taken his kennels down as I know he is blaming himself. Those dogs were well trained, we went shooting 4-5 times a week for the entire season, they just got excited, through lack of shooting over the last few months. It was a one off.

Get him another dog and take him pigeon shooting, if he doesn't want to shoot any longer arrange some beating or picking up for during the season to give him something to aim for and to get him out and about.

Personally I would ignore the RSPCA and their supposed charges, as al4x says, if this even gets to court it is laughable and I can't see it resulting in a prosecution - do they take everybody to court whose dogs are hit by cars....? No, accidents are just that, accidents. The man set out to walk his dogs and what happened was neither his wish, his intention nor was it brought about by any deliberate action or inaction on his part - I would be surprised if any prosecutor would take the case on!

I have every sympathy with the man over losing his dogs - I would be devastated, but I have a couple of problems with this:-

His dogs were not on a lead.

They were clearly not very well trained as they ran off.

If he wasn't capable of commanding them to stop, they should not have been loose. Everyone whose dog attacks another or a child says it is a one-off and never happened before.

Have we got the full story, as a prosecution seems unlikely to succeed.

I repeat that he has my sympathy, but self-inflicted springs to mind. You say he blames himself - he is partially right.

the only thing I can think is they've been told his dogs were let out to roam and possibly that would constitute neglect. As well as the BASC get him to get hold of his own vet the vet will presumably know him and how he looks after his dogs. The plus point is also the vet should know the local RSPCA inspector so you may well find they can talk some sense into them. Though I still think it sounds like something is missing in the tale, as it all sounds a little unlikely for a prosecution attempt