when to shoot over cut Barley

Lez325

Just been over one of my farms - to see the farmer cutting a standing barley crop of some 10 acres approx

when would be the best time to shoot over this field?? Today- tonight or maybe even tomorrow- lots of Pigeons about the area

Les :yes:

Young bull, "lets run down and sort out some of those cows".

Old bull, "lets walk down and sort out them all".

It's best to wait until you see them hitting the field in numbers and then go for it. Spooking them too soon will probably send them elsewhere. If they decide that they don't like the look of that field, then wait until there's one that they do.

Hope that helps, cheers

don;t hit it to soon we have been watching a field build up for a week now no more than 20 using it on first 2 days but built up steadily now hundreds using it;no rush on the barley and wheat stubbles;but the rape is best hit within 3 to 4 days before its ploughed in.

Some of ours was cut yesterday and there are hundreds on already. It made a change for the dog to be able to retrieve over stubble instead of standing crops. That said, with the wind and whatever two-thirds of what I shot went out of bounds over the boundaries.

No defined answer to this Lez shoot it when it feels right not when other say so.

Also they are forgeting the biggest threat eg farmer gikles and his plough/discs .

Its all very well saying leave 3/4days then to discover it been knocked in.

And the main thing for me if the birds are flighting over the field naturally it makes no diffrents if they are feeding you put deeks out they will come.

As there are greedy social birds and spot the deeks .

Cheers OTH

went to have a look this morning and to stick the Hawkeye bouncer in the ground see how it performed

No tmany birds about over the cut Barley - however, on scanning around my permission with my binoculars, I see the Farmer has cut 2 x Rape fields about 1/2 a mile away- seem to be attracting the birds- so Im off over the rape tomorrow morning early doors- see if I can bag a few

went to have a look this morning and to stick the Hawkeye bouncer in the ground see how it performed

No tmany birds about over the cut Barley - however, on scanning around my permission with my binoculars, I see the Farmer has cut 2 x Rape fields about 1/2 a mile away- seem to be attracting the birds- so Im off over the rape tomorrow morning early doors- see if I can bag a few

im doing the same, good luck!