'milk' under a rabbit's skin

I was skinning a rabbit the other night and when I cut the skin back from the breastbone towards the tail there was a load of 'milk' between the skin and the meat. There was also what looks like fat there too. When I gutted it there were no young there, the liver, kidneys are all the rest of the offal looked to be healthy, there were no cists that I could see. Have I just had my first milky doe, or something more dire? Once I had washed it all, it looked perfectly normal. It's in the freezer now, but will it be safe to eat, or does it go to the dog?

why are they poor condition? whats so bad bout them?

Because the animal has just bred and fed a litter, it can become emaciated and the flesh taste bitter.

Just run your finger down a milky does spine to see how wasted the carcass can become.

If I am going to eat something I want the best of it not the worst and the fact that milky does have no saleable value should tell you something.

I chucked a milky doe tonight.

They are very poor condition for eating and the most I would do is feed it to the dog :hmm:

:good: perfectly ok. there is still enough on them for a decent feed. why not chuck another one in with it to make it up?