£500 for a bottle of beer....

henry d

Just a typical publicity stunt from BrewDog. The first time I heard about this product I knew it was them before I was told. So predictable...

I've had a discussion elsewhere about the feasability of brewing a 55% beer. General consensus was that it would be very difficult to get enough sugar from malts to make the required amount of alcohol - and that wasn't even touching upon the fact that none of us was aware of a yeast strain that would continue working long enough to give 55%... Surely, therefore, it must have gone through some other process, meaning it is not beer. Surely it's as akin to whisky as beer, it must have been distilled at some point...

Hand me a Jenning's please, none of this rubbish.

IF you distill it its not beer. Ive tried their 'sink the Bismark' (witty) and that's 42%? its not particularly tasty. they do it by freezing the beer and removing some of the water that way, its a very tricky business though. Ive not been amused by there publicity stunts for a while now, getting a bit boring.

Sneck lifter or Cumberland ?

Either will do me. I absolutely love both!

Generally a Cumberland Ale during the summer - especially after a good walk in the Langdales. But I love Sneck Lifter - that gorgeous chocolatey-ness, followed by a nice roasted finish. Mmmm. I'm also a big fan of Golden Host, and was pleased to note that the new 'organic' version, brewed somewhere other than Cockermouth (if I recall correctly), is still as good.

I won't drink bottle CA though - it's a different beer (supermarkets demanded a higher ABV and it changed the taste completely). I once had a bottle pre-change and one post-change at home, one after the other, the difference was marked.

Had the pleasure of visiting the brewery last year, even got to pull a couple of pints in their own bar. :good:

Edited by southwest_colonel

I won't drink bottle CA though - it's a different beer (supermarkets demanded a higher ABV and it changed the taste completely). I once had a bottle pre-change and one post-change at home, one after the other, the difference was marked.

Ahhhhhh, that`s what`s wrong, many thanks :lol:

I'll second that - especially with the Sneck. Think the worst way to serve it though is in a Wetherspoons pub. I have no idea how they can make great beer taste so damned awful.