CNC Mill

reddan

I bought myself a small CNC mill a while back and although recently I haven't had much time to use it I am looking for ideas for early projects. There are a number of downloadable designs available and I have used this site below with good results

Link

Mill can take wood, plastic and light ali. It has approx a4 size bed with a 60mm height limit.

Or if there is anyone out there who is well versed in CAD I can translate into code and cut whatever.

Dan

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I bought myself a small CNC mill a while back and although recently I haven't had much time to use it I am looking for ideas for early projects. There are a number of downloadable designs available and I have used this site below with good results

Link

Mill can take wood, plastic and light ali. It has approx a4 size bed with a 60mm height limit.

Or if there is anyone out there who is well versed in CAD I can translate into code and cut whatever.

Dan

Excuse my ignorance and probably stupidity but can you make roll turn over tools ? :unsure:

They are cylindrical shaped with a recess in the centre and are used for roll crimping closed shotgun cartridges. they look like this:post-20561-1280440576.jpg

Hope floating chamber does'nt mind me using this picture i could'nt find any other decent pics

Hi Andy,

Bought it from a guy on ebay link. BUT few things to know before buying.......

1. The link I have given you is the frame of the mill and there is another kit the guy sells which includes the motors, controller and spindle.

2. Spindle is a bit lame, fixed speed and the loudest tool I have ever heard. I have mine behind a double glazed screen and its whine still annoys me.

3. Don't be stupid like me and forget about import tax and VAT (including VAT on the postage), cost me an extra £110.

4. Delivery cost me £75 and although it was in this country withina week it took another two to get it through customs.

5. You will need control software, I use Mach3 which is amazing but if you want to run anything mildly complicated or big you will need to buy it (free version has a 500 line of code limit, which doesnt go far, Celtic style Coster I just did had 30000 lines of code.) software cost £110 ish.

6. It comes which foreign plugs on it and the mains voltage contacts on the controller box has exposed contacts.

I think it is a good piece of kit for the price given it is much cheaper that any commercial bit of kit but I bet it has cost me the best part of £1000 to set up. Overall I am happy with it, accuracy seems tight. I would recommend the seller.

Of course if you have any parts you want machined and don't want to lay out and buy one if you send me the designs and materials I will do it for you.

If you want any more details about it, happy to help I did a lot of research on it first.

Dan

Edited by reddan

Hi,

I am very handy at CAD and have a great deal of experience with CADCAM in the past.

If you ever want anything drawn up then just shout. I can supply you with most file types but I assume you will want a .DXF

Cheers

Martin

Hi,

I am very handy at CAD and have a great deal of experience with CADCAM in the past.

If you ever want anything drawn up then just shout. I can supply you with most file types but I assume you will want a .DXF

Cheers

Martin

Cheers Martin, I have no experiance with CAD at all so am feeling my way through. May take you up on that. Yes DXF is the format I can import into Mach3.

Dan

I'm almost sure you'll never have to touch G codes in anyway these days. Our stuff at work just gets a DXF or IGES shot at it, and the CAM software just wants to know a datum and where to start machining. I think this is what Mach3 does, though I am not familiar with the product.

I've used Solidworks for 10 years now (VX vision before that), and there are many nice plug-ins and add-ons to spit out G-code from it directly.

I'm almost sure you'll never have to touch G codes in anyway these days. Our stuff at work just gets a DXF or IGES shot at it, and the CAM software just wants to know a datum and where to start machining. I think this is what Mach3 does, though I am not familiar with the product.

I've used Solidworks for 10 years now (VX vision before that), and there are many nice plug-ins and add-ons to spit out G-code from it directly.

Yep Mach 3 will take a DXF file (via Lazycam) and translates into the G-code required so little code writing is needed now. I understand the basics but I can't imagine sitting down and writing a complex cut by hand. Simple shapes, slots, text, etc can be done with the wizards in Mach3.

Machined some more aluminum this weekend just gone. Had better results this time because of a better cutter and more ramping.

Andy - I would be interested in trying out on anything you had to do as I haven't really put it through its paces yet and I have no idea with CAD (something I would like to learn). Would have love to pursue it as a job because I find it interesting but moneywise I can't really so it will have to remain a hobbie for now.

Dan

• 1 month later...

Writing CAD code isn't that difficult once you've got your hand in IMO. I operate a CNC laser cutter and manage to program all the little jobs I want doing for myself, and don't want to have to bother our resident CAD monkeys :blink:

Might be a little more difficult working with 3 axis rather than just 2 but the principles are the same :hmm: Hope you get on well with your little projects :) If anyone needs something laser cutting though drop me a PM and I'll see what I can do :lol::shifty:

Scott

• 1 month later...

I have been looking around for a CAD programe that I could teach myself given I have no experiance using one and I stumbled upon DraftSight yesterday evening. It is free and I have worked through the Quick Start Guide which has a load of demos for you to try so you get used to the software. I think it is bloody brill, I seem to have picked it up OK and am amazed at the complexity of drawings you can do with ease. Only 2d but think that is enough for the moment.

Think I may still need a bit of advice when it comes to end mills if anyone can help. I need a cutter that will cope with different types of wood, all the end mills I have are too finely fluted to clear the chips so you just get dust anda very slow cut. Any suggestions, I don't need anything fancy, max collet is 6mm?

Dan

I do tool and die making, don't want to sound rude but how much do you know about cutters ? If you go for aluminium geometry carbide slot mill it should cut everything you need it to

I have been looking around for a CAD programe that I could teach myself given I have no experiance using one and I stumbled upon DraftSight yesterday evening. It is free and I have worked through the Quick Start Guide which has a load of demos for you to try so you get used to the software. I think it is bloody brill, I seem to have picked it up OK and am amazed at the complexity of drawings you can do with ease. Only 2d but think that is enough for the moment.

Think I may still need a bit of advice when it comes to end mills if anyone can help. I need a cutter that will cope with different types of wood, all the end mills I have are too finely fluted to clear the chips so you just get dust anda very slow cut. Any suggestions, I don't need anything fancy, max collet is 6mm?

Dan

I do tool and die making, don't want to sound rude but how much do you know about cutters ? If you go for aluminium geometry carbide slot mill it should cut everything you need it to

Not rude at all, I know ****** all about them. Its just me, my shed and some expensive gear I blew some money on :yes:

Thats half the fun.

I do have some end mills that are meant to be general purpose but because they are quite fine they don't seem to 'go' if that makes sense. I have tried 4 flute and 2 flute, the two seems to work better but it isn't all that.

Can you show me a picture of what you think I should be using or point me in the direction of a website?

Dan

I know that other companies sell them but these are by far the best that we have used at work

http://www.itc-ltd.co.uk/allProducts02.htm

2041 can't open the cutter data but recommend you get one with a corner rad 1mm for roughing out and one with out for finishing sharp corners. Just ask for a catologue and will have all the speeds and feeds. Don't take any notice of the price in the catalogue when you call to order you can generally get a good discount. Hope this helps keep me posted would be intersted to see how you get on

I know that other companies sell them but these are by far the best that we have used at work

http://www.itc-ltd.co.uk/allProducts02.htm

2041 can't open the cutter data but recommend you get one with a corner rad 1mm for roughing out and one with out for finishing sharp corners. Just ask for a catologue and will have all the speeds and feeds. Don't take any notice of the price in the catalogue when you call to order you can generally get a good discount. Hope this helps keep me posted would be intersted to see how you get on

Nice one will do. Thanks for your help.

Dan