New shoot-lamping vehicle

Crouch valley

post-11439-1280655962.jpgpost-11439-1280656217.jpg

Hi all a friend and I have recently bought a daihatsu fourtrac to turn into a shoot vehicle it will be kept on the shoot or trailered from shoot to shoot The transformation has just started so I thought I would keep you posted. we are putting it on 31x10.5.15 bf Goodrich mud terrains which we have just ordered and are awaiting delivery it has now been rubbed down and sprayed NATO green the back will be cut off and turned into a pick up a cage will be made to keep us in when we are lamping. The wheels will be sprayed matt black. Have any of you got any use full ideas we can do to it to aid our shoot-lamping vehicle? The last owner would cry as its one owner from new with full daihatsu service history i might send him some picks :good: . here are the before photos with the finished picks to come latter :yes:

cut the back off and you ideally need decent seats in the back, we use a pickup but have two proper car seats welded to a pair of scaffold poles that sit accross the rear tub so you are secure and at the right height for shooting. You're doing the right thing taking the back off it, i had a fourtrak and you can't lamp with a rifle any sense out of the sunroof as you have nowhere to lean

Also wire in a connector from the battery to the lamp instead of using the ciggy lighter

doc

and then put some fuses in the glove box :good:

Learn't that one last night, my scope mounted lamp broke the wires and touched them inside the insulation, blowing the fuse, didn't know what had done it so robbed one from the fuse box, blew that straight away :hmm: changed lamps and one wire was loose so blew another, replaced and sorted but went home with no interior lights, no radio and no fan ;)

reminds me need to go to Halfords on the way home to buy some decent connectors

p.s crouch valley the best mod you can make to fourtraks if you use them off road much is to change the free wheeling front hubs to manual ones from milners. They go regularly and when they do you loose 4x4 usually when you most need it

Edited by al4x

Get some red filters for the headlamps and spotlights :good:

why both ideas are truly useless in real conditions, you just need a lightforce or two, only exception is shotgunning rabbits but not many people do it now due to the complaints you get

I know one and its Me (username Me rather than me) and Mungler but must be an essex thing, its useless thats why, they aren't directable and don't reach far enough. You can't lift the beam off a fox or dim it down you're far better off with a well used handheld lamp

Edited by al4x

One must also assume that quarry doesn't venture any more than about 10 foot from a field margin!

What happens when you stop the engine, in order to steady for a shot? Or open a door to take a fox from the bonnet?

Buzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Edited by garyb

Im not on about using the headlamps for lamping you bunch of retards :blink:

I have trouble with headlights lighting everything up too much... Never mind

I would say he is talking about high powered spot lights with red lenses.

I have used this method in the past in conjunction with a lamp and have had a good success rate both on foxs and rabbits.

And how many times have you really had to dim a variable beam. This method was taught to me some 15 years ago so it is old school and may not always work depends on the land. But is most effective once harvest has started

Im not on about using the headlamps for lamping you bunch of retards :blink:

I have trouble with headlights lighting everything up too much... Never mind

you just use sidelights if you need to see where you are going briefly then back on the lamp. I'm happy lamping and driving with a shooter on the back it really is fairly simple if you know your ground

Having been lamping with Al4x countless times...

I can confirm - on this case, he does indeed know what he's talking about :good:

The car's headlights are never used when I go lamping with anyone. It's the lamp mans job to scan for critters, yet still offer the driver enough light once in a while to see his path.

I have put two led lights on my disco from ebay for about a tenner, they just light up a few yards in front and are great for driving across the fields without lighting everything up, but connect them to a lumanated switch so you wont leave them on when driving on the road as the light they give off is blue.