pigeon patterns

Guest olly speakman

Guest olly speakman

I have been shooting for only two years now and still concider myself as quite an inexperienced pigeon shooter, and i usually shoot on the same farm. Since I began shooting i have mainly stuck to using the same decoy patterns evry time i go out, sometimes varying it. I have only ever shot 50 maximum with a freind, could the repeating use of the pattern i use which is the two horseshoe shapes possibly put of pigeons. Or can anyone else suggest any more successful decoy patterns they are familiar with?

Thanks!!!

Some tips here mate but if it dosent work on the day just keep changeing the patten till the birds commit

but sometimes it dosent matter what you do they may just not be intrested

http://www.pigeonwatch.co.uk/home.htm

Good info, particularly about the entrance to the "killing area" especially when it's windy, they really do like room to manouvre.

Cheers

The best tip is to watch how pigeons group when they are on the crops. Today, on barley stubble they were in a very loose group, 8 feet or more apart. So I set two loose groups of deeks with a landing area in between. On other occassions they will be closer together, so you set the deeks up accordingly. On still days they will often be facing all over the place, whereas in strong winds all will be facing upwind. One thing they never are is regimented.

Hey if you’re shooting 50 birds a session there’s nowt wrong with that. Pigeon shooting is all about opportunity, some days you’re the bird, some days you’re the statue!

Don’t be fooled by all the things you see, hear, read about people having bumper days, they do but ask them how many days they shoot when they get sweet fanny adams! Or at least much smaller bags.

If you read all the posts on here I think you’d find the average day works out to less than 10 birds per session. I might be wrong on that, it could be less or more but maybe one of the guys on here without a life would like the task of working it all out! :no: