Imperial or Metric

Dekers

:good:

Ok, I can get my head round metric pretty well because I have been bought up on both, but do you youngsters know what a foot or yard is, even a lb.

We seem to be living in a real mixed up age, down the pub the beer is Imperial and the shorts invariably Metric. The crisps and peanuts are Metric but the steak on the menu is 10oz.

We buy our petrol in litres not gallons, but drive the car in MPH not KPH.

And we buy our tin of beans at a weight of 456g (which is of course 1 lb).

So, are energy measurements in ft lb in shooting completely alien to the youngsters!!

:lol::lol::blush:

So, are energy measurements in ft lb in shooting completely alien to the youngsters!!

As a relative youngster (<30) I can't 'picture' a ft lb or a joule! They are both fairly intangible, but I couldn't quote you the legal limit in joules so I guess I am happier in imperial.

I would measure things with a tape measure in cm/mm but walking or car distances in miles.

:blush:

I'm 36 and learnt the metric system at school then did a 4 year aircraft engineering apprenticeship and learnt the imperial system.

DIY wise when i'm measuring i use whichever suits and is the easiest to remember, generally working to a 16th " or 2mm which to be honest is a mile compared to working to .005" or 5 thou by hand in metal :blush:

Most stuff was referenced in imperial or morse, for an 1\8th " or .125" rivet you need a morse 30 drill which is .128" to allow 3 thou clearance, still have my little pocket book and tools i made all those years ago.

Jon.

I'm 36 and learnt the metric system at school then did a 4 year aircraft engineering apprenticeship and learnt the imperial system.

DIY wise when i'm measuring i use whichever suits and is the easiest to remember, generally working to a 16th " or 2mm which to be honest is a mile compared to working to .005" or 5 thou by hand in metal :blush:

Most stuff was referenced in imperial or morse, for an 1\8th " or .125" rivet you need a morse 30 drill which is .128" to allow 3 thou clearance, still have my little pocket book and tools i made all those years ago.

Jon.

0.005", not a Trenchard Brat then!

I did an apprenticship in metric, but all our machinery was still imperial. Always had to re calculate all the dimensions off the drawings. Still always estimate in imperial, but measure metric.

It's always about a foot until you measure and find it's 300mm.

My current work involves a lot of volumes, wich I just can't do in imperial. Got a tank 12 foot by 8 foot with 4 foot 6 and 3/16th" depth. How much is in there? :):lol:

The americans I work with still do this and then work it out to cubic feet, or their gallons wich are only 3.66 litres.

i work in both,all the drawings at work are metric.if i have to get one of the younger lads to cut something for me i always make it a measurement with a 3/16th or 3/8th on it,poor ******* don't have a clue!

:):lol::hmm: I do that to my Son,anything to do with measurement always imperial..he has to work it out.. drives him nuts