your favourite quarry??

king ratcatcher

Carrion Crow

Very difficult to get within sub 12ft/lb range of them.

Very sharp eyes and the will always perch and roost as high as possible so they can see whats about.

Ive found a predator decoy works well, they hate it.

Really challenging quarry so its pretty satisfying if you get one, hence my favourite quarry.

grey squirrels..........

I love just staking out for them in a wood at the bottom of the canopy in March/April/May with a camo cushion and one of my precharged .22 rifles at the ready.

By keeping quiet and still its amazing what you see..

My best ever bag using this method was 11 early last year and 1 jackdaw also.

FM.

Summer evening foxes.

I just love sitting in the warm summer evenings waiting to see if a fox comes out to play. Just sitting there with nothing to do but take in the countryside and watch the world go by, and then catch the sight of Mr Fox.

I know it’s a lot easier to go lamping, but it isn’t as much pleasure as taking a long shot at @ 9.30pm just as the sun goes down. :thumbs:

I really am looking forward to the start of early summer. :thumbs:

G.M.

Summer evening foxes.

I just love sitting in the warm summer evenings waiting to see if a fox comes out to play. Just sitting there with nothing to do but take in the countryside and watch the world go by, and then catch the sight of Mr Fox.

I know it’s a lot easier to go lamping, but it isn’t as much pleasure as taking a long shot at @ 9.30pm just as the sun goes down. :thumbs:

I really am looking forward to the start of early summer. :thumbs:

G.M.

have you been stalking me G?

there is nothing better than sitting out with either the rimfire or centerfire, after foxes or rabbits. with foxes you might only see one in the evening, but you watch all the rabbits, jays, owls, woodpeckers etc... knowing that on this occasion they are just another method of telling when 'mr fox' is around, not something your going to kill.

with the rimfire, i enjoy letting the rabbits come out, then observing them, and then picking the one which looks best for eating, going home with 3 rabbits taken @ 75 yards with spot on clean head shots. more often than not 10x more satisfying than blowing away 5 squirels in a hour and a half of dray bashing.

as for mad forms of shooting, rat shooting or pigeon shooting feature very high on my list.

Nothing like Mr Bunny. He can provide great sport and a meal for the family, as long as you tell the kids "the meat is dark and from a special dark meat chicken with a fluffy tail" :D

try head shots the meat is then as white as chicken

its the blood that darkens the meat? :)

Nothing like Mr Bunny. He can provide great sport and a meal for the family, as long as you tell the kids "the meat is dark and from a special dark meat chicken with a fluffy tail"  :D

try head shots the meat is then as white as chicken

its the blood that darkens the meat? :)

Always do! For Bunny stew, I leave the meat to marinade in a little Guiness, stock with a dash of Soy Sauce, hence the meat goes dark. Cook slowly for at least four hours and hey presto, Dark Meat Chicken. The little Drystone's love it and not an E number in sight. :)

I don't think i really HAVE a favourite? :/

Crows Rooks Jackdaws magpies wood pigeon collared dove rabbit rat and the odd tin can :lol:

The satisfaction I find (personally) is taking the time to assess the shot and make a solid clean kill first time. There is no greater reward.

And besides it conserves my lead :D

Lord Geordie

I agree with that. With all the different aspects of the sport, i'd have to say I dont have a favorite. Having recently got into shotguns I know enjoy a wide array of quarry and challenges. I love calling Fox and stalking Rabbits and a bird in flight, well, you know what I mean. But if I were to pick a favorite quarry, it would have to be Duck, they are damn good eating.